Terrible pictures taken on 5S and 3 Apple Rep's say "it's normal"

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I know you are not thrilled that we are posting pics as examples, but look at these two. ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406754677.805408.jpg
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1406754650.128248.jpg

Awful right? Both taken with my 5S. The same phone that took the other pics that turned out great. Concert venues offer horrible lighting situations. You have uneven lighting, fluorescents, etc. The tiny little sensors in these phone cameras are not designed to take in these lighting conditions. I was with 2 other guys, one with a Galaxy S5 and one with an iPhone 4S. The Galaxy S5 pics were slightly worse and we won't talk about the 4S. For moments like this, where the lighting will be awful for quality pics, I take a point-and-shoot with its optical zoom and large sensor. Otherwise, this will be the result.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It is unfortunate that the photos you took with your new iPhone did not turn out the way you had hoped. Like the others, the photos I've taken on the iPhones I've owned over the years turned out great. Anyway, since you've gone to Apple and you said that there was nothing they could do since their tests showed that the phone is working properly, let's assume for a moment that the problem lies with iOS. I don't even know if that's possible, but let's assume for moment that it is. Are you willing to restore your device as new and then try taking photos to see if things improve? I mean, we can debate all day long whether or not the iPhone is a piece of junk or whether Apple's customer service sucks or not. Let's see if we can fix the problem and make you happy.

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
What about the other pictures I posted? And why shouldn't I be able to zoom in? And I had tried to not zoom at all, Auto Focus, flash and no flash and they are all terrible. But, I have posted enough pictures from all different zooms and lights and none of them are capable of being blown up to even a 3x5. And what do you mean the person taking the photo is a big factor??? Obviously, I took the picture and according to Apple's advertisement "It just makes more sense to teach iPhone how to take a great picture rather than teach people how to be expert photographers". And they also advertise that they have a built in stabilizer and that the "iPhone knows the best setting to use and how intense the flash should be, and it automatically recognizes faces in the frame.
As far as Apple's customer service I would have to say that I don't anyone who appreciates the fact that there is only 1 Apple store within a 120 mile radius. I also don't know who would consider good customer service a store that requires people to schedule an appointment. And its not like my time means anything to them because I got there on time but still waited 25 minutes to get a representative. And then the Rep took my phone in the back and on his way back he stopped and helped another customer for a good 6 minutes. Then he comes back and tells me that everything on my phone looks great. Initially when he looked at the pictures he looked surprised and said something along the line like "yeah, that's definitely not normal", and then he comes from the back and tells me there is nothing wrong?? And because he didn't find anything wrong, and because I have owned the phone for 6 weeks, I am basically stuck with it. So, I asked for a manager. I was initially told that the manager was assisting another customer and would be with me momentarily. After 30 minutes, I asked again and was told he was on the phone. My appointment was at 7:50 pm and I finally got to speak to the manager at around 9:20pm. The mall and the store closed at 9pm. I did not leave until 10:15 or so. I did not have any plans of spending 2 and half hours sitting on a hard stool in the mall, only to be given the run around by 3 different Apple Reps. My time is valuable, but, apparently, they don't think so. And this latest experience was not an exception to the normal customer service I have received in the past. Over the years, I put up with it because I loved their products, but I no longer feel that way.

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Sure. Just tell me what to do? I can assure you that all I want is a decent phone. I hate the fact that every picture I take completely disappoints me. Just tell me how I need to restore it and I will do it tonight. Thanks for your help.

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Do you seriously think these are good pictures? I mean you can't zoom in on those? And look at all the washed out face on the first one? OMG, this just made me realize that I am stuck with this phone. It has nothing to do with the settings or anything else. Do you have some pictures of people in the bright sunlight? Can you zoom in or blow up any people pictures? I am feeling sick to my stomach because I cannot not afford a different phone. My 4G pictures were better.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No smartphone is going to take good pictures at concerts period. If you want good pictures than invest in an actual camera with optical zoom.
And for the record:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406759337.859716.jpg
I think for a smartphone the 5S takes great pictures compared to other phones.

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Zooming with a fixed lens camera (pretty much all camera phones) is completely pointless. All you're doing by zooming is cropping and enlarging the image. The majority of yours are zoomed, which is always going to produce a poor result. If you zoom in even 2x, you're drastically reducing the actual number of pixels in your image, making for a poorer image.

Here's what you're basically doing when you zoom with your camera phone:
DigitalZoom.jpg

Plus, your lighting conditions in these pictures are terrible. I'd recommend you just buy a digital camera. You'll get tons more mileage out of it if you expect to take photos in poor conditions.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
What about the other pictures I posted? And why shouldn't I be able to zoom in? And I had tried to not zoom at all, Auto Focus, flash and no flash and they are all terrible. But, I have posted enough pictures from all different zooms and lights and none of them are capable of being blown up to even a 3x5. And what do you mean the person taking the photo is a big factor??? Obviously, I took the picture and according to Apple's advertisement "It just makes more sense to teach iPhone how to take a great picture rather than teach people how to be expert photographers". And they also advertise that they have a built in stabilizer and that the "iPhone knows the best setting to use and how intense the flash should be, and it automatically recognizes faces in the frame.
As far as Apple's customer service I would have to say that I don't anyone who appreciates the fact that there is only 1 Apple store within a 120 mile radius. I also don't know who would consider good customer service a store that requires people to schedule an appointment. And its not like my time means anything to them because I got there on time but still waited 25 minutes to get a representative. And then the Rep took my phone in the back and on his way back he stopped and helped another customer for a good 6 minutes. Then he comes back and tells me that everything on my phone looks great. Initially when he looked at the pictures he looked surprised and said something along the line like "yeah, that's definitely not normal", and then he comes from the back and tells me there is nothing wrong?? And because he didn't find anything wrong, and because I have owned the phone for 6 weeks, I am basically stuck with it. So, I asked for a manager. I was initially told that the manager was assisting another customer and would be with me momentarily. After 30 minutes, I asked again and was told he was on the phone. My appointment was at 7:50 pm and I finally got to speak to the manager at around 9:20pm. The mall and the store closed at 9pm. I did not leave until 10:15 or so. I did not have any plans of spending 2 and half hours sitting on a hard stool in the mall, only to be given the run around by 3 different Apple Reps. My time is valuable, but, apparently, they don't think so. And this latest experience was not an exception to the normal customer service I have received in the past. Over the years, I put up with it because I loved their products, but I no longer feel that way.

First off, it would be extremely helpful if you could quote the person you are directly responding to. Not doing so can make it difficult and confusing when trying to help you. Secondly, as you zoom in on the camera function, from within the camera app, and the lighting conditions are not ideal, you are merely increasing the opportunity for graininess in the picture. This is not optical zoom. This is digital. It is the same as taking a normal picture and then cropping it. You are merely increasing the pixels. Again, if the conditions are poor to begin with, zooming will only make it worse. This is a PHONE camera with a SMALL sensor. This is not a point and shoot cannon. This is not a DSLR. Let's be very clear on what the capabilities of this and other camera phones are. Just because it is convenient to have on your phone and to have with you all the time doesn't mean it should be your go-to camera for every photo taking opportunity you encounter! As for the the customer service you received from Apple being poor...yes, that sucks. But, you make appointments in order to try and have the best opportunity to be dealt with on a timely basis. To say that scheduling appointments is a sign of poor customer service seems a bit far-fetched. That is like saying, who would consider good patient care, a doctor's office that requires you to schedule appointments. And even with the doctor office scheduling appointments, if I had a dollar every time I had to sit and wait for my appointment due to unforeseen circumstances I wouldn't need insurance. It happens. It happened to you at Apple. It will happen to someone else whether it be Apple, Target, or Dr. Smith's office.

Do you seriously think these are good pictures? I mean you can't zoom in on those? And look at all the washed out face on the first one? OMG, this just made me realize that I am stuck with this phone. It has nothing to do with the settings or anything else. Do you have some pictures of people in the bright sunlight? Can you zoom in or blow up any people pictures? I am feeling sick to my stomach because I cannot not afford a different phone. My 4G pictures were better.

Yes, your pictures are not very good. That is clear to see. But, you CAN zoom in or blow up the pictures I and others have shown you because yes, the iPhone 5S IS capable of taking excellent pictures. I keep going back to this because you are getting very bent out of shape as if Apple scammed you into believing they sold you a product that cannot deliver on its promises. It can. We have shown you. So, if a restore does not help, then call customer service and demand a new one! It is not the iPhone 5S in general that is the problem. It is partly your uniques device and I suspect partly your unrealistic expectations of a camera phone with a tiny sensor and weak LED flash.

Last edited:

Etios

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
According to me, the kind of low-light photographs you are expecting can be delivered only by a digital camera or the high end phones of the Nokia Lumia series like Lumia 1020, 1520, icon, 925 etc...

ritesh

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Just 1 doubt....Have you taken off the plastic sheet/transparent film, on the back, that the phone comes with. That covers the camera lense. Your pictures indeed look dull.

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Broad daylight at the beach. I have others that I took that were not zoomed and some with flash and some AF, but, all the same. I believe I took this one without the zoom and this is what I got when I went back to edit it. I cropped and zoomed so I could get a 5X7 for the wall, but, this is what happens on every picture. I have posted some pictures on other threads on this page. Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it.

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, there is no clear paper on the back. The phone takes nice pictures of objects and plants, but, people or animals become distorted or washed out when I try to zoom on them. And it doesn't matter if I zoom before taking it or after I took it, its all the same. Thanks for your time in trying to help me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
And I'm sorry that you only have 1 Apple Store within 120 miles, but Apple is only going to establish stores where it makes financial sense to do so.
Maybe try calling customer support (I believe every iPhone comes with 90 days of free phone support) rather than going to the store. Maybe you'll get a better CSR who can help you.
I don't know about other carriers, but if you call Verizon customer service, and they can't help, they will put you through to Apple Support for free. Other carriers may do the same. :)

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi Lisa

Reading through your post there is one thing that Mike said that I would like to illustrate.

Take a look at what happens when a picture is taken close by in good outside light with a still subject:

4uryname.jpg

Here is one taken same day same location same lighting:

sa8a9ety.jpg

Zooming in causes pictures to pixelate. Adding low lighting or movement makes it more difficult to get great results.

I just wanted to give you that illustration. I don't zoom in and then crop. If I has zoomed in on Max the results would have been horrible.

I don't zoom and crop.

I'm very happy with the results when I don't, even if one if my subjects is moving and is blurry.

a9emyret.jpg

bymyga8u.jpg

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Not all the pictures are in low light. I have pictures at the beach and amusement park and some during the early evening at dusk and they are still really bad. Thanks for your input, I think I am going to have to switch to the Nokia. I am just sad to have to do that because I have already invested so much money in Apps, I tunes and the phone and accessories. I have attached some of the bright light photos to some other threads. Here is an example. IMG_3797.jpgIMG_4147.jpgIMG_3381.jpg

Lisa Bradley

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
What a cute picture. Does it get grainy when you try to zoom in? I have tried to take a picture with an App called Camera+, but, unfortunately they have the same problem. When I take photos I like to see the clarity of the faces and I would like to have 3X5 or 5X7's made, but, the minute I zoom in everybody becomes extremely grainy. I have spent countless hours trying to edit out the graininess on several different editing app's, but, I just can't fix them. I normally send them to Shutterfly or similar places to have family books made, but, right now I have to take along an additional camera to get good pictures. I can never remember to bring the big camera because I am so used to depending on my phone for pictures and you never know when the perfect picture opportunity will become available. Like the picture you have attached. Besides, who wants to carry a phone everywhere they want to go? Thanks for sharing your thoughts and awesome memory.