Lifeproof vs. Otterbox

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
For any of you that use protective cases, which do you prefer? I own both, but really can't decide! My Lifeproof is great, it's dirt proof, and water proof! but the screen protector kills me, it has a couple of scratches and smudges always seem to get the best of me. However, with the Otterbox I was able to remove the built in screen protector, and I get great use out of it.

What do you guys think? (Aside from going naked), go for the more protective from drops case, or waterproof/dirt proof?

donemt

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Try the Lifeproof Nuud it has no screen protector. I have a Zagg on always

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have both the Defender and Fre for the 5s. Use the Fre regularly. Trying to go back to the Defender or a slimmer, non-waterproof/dust-proof case, but my semi-OCD gets the better of me...

ctl904

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had bad luck with several Otterbox phone cases in the past and won't give them anymore $. Saw the Lifeproof N??d on a friend's 5s and really liked it but I haven't been able to justify the price tag to myself yet.

Last edited:

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have all of them and use them for different stuff. Going to the beach tomorrow so gonna through on the LP so it doesn't get wet or sand on it.

jkel777

Banned
Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I spoke too soon... Water tested the case today (without the phone, of course), and it leaked near the speaker grille. Filed an RMA with LifeProof, so hopefully that goes through. If there's one word of advice I can give, it's to make sure to water-test the case every month or so.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Otter is a great company with great products. I've heard nothing but great things about the Preserver. I hope they make them for the iPhone 6 in time for me to get one.

bjoostema

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Both are awesome and do a good job of protecting devices but my personal vote is for the LP. I like the extra comfort of knowing it's waterproof and the fact that I can easily fit it in my pocket without being overly-aware it's there. Otterbox is awesome but I feel like the quality has lessened some over the years.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Both are awesome and do a good job of protecting devices but my personal vote is for the LP. I like the extra comfort of knowing it's waterproof and the fact that I can easily fit it in my pocket without being overly-aware it's there. Otterbox is awesome but I feel like the quality has lessened some over the years.

Just curious, but how do you feel their quality has lessened over the years? If I remember correctly they have improved because the 4 and 4s cases used to fall apart because the rubber would stretch out and they just wouldn't fit right. All of the cases for the 5 and 5s that I have seen have been the highest of quality.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, but how do you feel their quality has lessened over the years? If I remember correctly they have improved because the 4 and 4s cases used to fall apart because the rubber would stretch out and they just wouldn't fit right. All of the cases for the 5 and 5s that I have seen have been the highest of quality.

Maybe he's a little off, with the quality lessening. But I definitely see where he's coming from design wise. They're both great cases, but the OBD is just large and hard to slide in and out of your pocket. While the LP keeps a nice thin, sleek design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Maybe he's a little off, with the quality lessening. But I definitely see where he's coming from design wise. They're both great cases, but the OBD is just large and hard to slide in and out of your pocket. While the LP keeps a nice thin, sleek design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah design is one thing. But comparing the defender series to the lifeproof isn't really fair considering they are made for two different purposes. Otterbox preserver and lifeproof now there's a even match up in which I'd have to say lifeproof wins

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah design is one thing. But comparing the defender series to the lifeproof isn't really fair considering they are made for two different purposes. Otterbox preserver and lifeproof now there's a even match up in which I'd have to say lifeproof wins

I understand. for your needs a Defender is better suited for you. correct?

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I understand. for your needs a Defender is better suited for you. correct?

Yes it is. But all I was saying was defender and lifeproof aren't even the same style case. Defender is more compared to a ballistic case

geezio

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My life proof n??d has saved my phone several times I work construction around a lot of water and dirt ,dropped it in the tub when my son was bathing in mud in a deep pit ! Every time I got home took the case off .....like new still ! In my 5 I had a otter box defender case that the case itself scratched it and left a mark around the front facing camera that would not come off ...so LIFEPROOF N??D all the way even the FRĒ is awesome!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711