Should I buy an unlocked IPhone 5s from Apple

db4bama62

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I am and have always been an android user. I do have an Ipad, so I have some exposure to Apple products. I am considering getting an IPhone. I have looked around and prices are about the same everywhere. I am on the old Verizon unlimited data plan and have purchased my phones outright since they discontinued that plan. One feature I don't want to loose is my Foxfi. I have a couple of questions I need help with.
First, can anyone tell me if the unlocked IPhone from Apple is the same as having an IPhone unlocked from one of the sites I see online?
Second, is there a good app like Foxfi that I can get that will allow me to use my phone as a hotspot so I can take advantage of my unlimited data?

Thanks,
David

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you are on Verizon I recommend that if you're going to pay full price for the iPhone to keep your unlimited data then just buy the Verizon version straight from Apple because if you end up not liking it you at least have that 14 day window to return it instead of going through the hassle of trying to sell it.

As to the second question, I don't know. But hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

db4bama62

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Heisenberg!
After chatting with Apple, I can only buy a phone from Verizon at full price, if I don't want to change my contract. So I guess that's my only option. Now if I can find out if I can get something like Foxfi.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone ever heard of TetherMe- Cydia? If so does it work?
That's for jailbroken phones. Ask Verizon about hotspots. It may cost you to have that. I really don't know. I've been a Verizon customer for 10 years. But never used hotspots. They have some kind of pack.

barrcuda70

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have Verizon unlimited internet and unlimited hotspot on my phone. I'm upgraded last September and I was able to keep my unlimited for some reason. I also added hotspot a few months later.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

mooch91

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
David - I was in the exact same place as you a couple of months back. I contemplated a number of options including buying the certified per owned phones from Verizon at full price and doing the "best buy trick" to get the upgrade without losing my unlimited data. In the end, I found a pretty good deal on a used iphone 5 locally on craigslist that I bought. I couldn't choose color, memory size, or get the 5s but I've been plenty happy. But I couldn't keep foxfi - I believe the only way to tether with the iPhone is to pay verizon for it or to jailbreak.

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
David - I was in the exact same place as you a couple of months back. I contemplated a number of options including buying the certified per owned phones from Verizon at full price and doing the "best buy trick" to get the upgrade without losing my unlimited data. In the end, I found a pretty good deal on a used iphone 5 locally on craigslist that I bought. I couldn't choose color, memory size, or get the 5s but I've been plenty happy. But I couldn't keep foxfi - I believe the only way to tether with the iPhone is to pay verizon for it or to jailbreak.

Good to hear you ended up with a phone you're content with.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods