for those who bought 5S full price when it first came out, how did you unlock it?

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am seriously thinking of buying iPhone 6 without contract (full price).

I understand that when the iPhone 5 or 5S came out first, Apple did not offer the full unlocked version until several months later. I understand several people bought it full price.

So I am curious, when you bought a full price iPhone 5S when it first comes out (within the first month), how did you get it unlock? Will AT&T (or T Mobile) unlock it for me without question if I provide proof of purchase (copy or fax)?

Thanks.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously thinking of buying iPhone 6 without contract (full price).

I understand that when the iPhone 5 or 5S came out first, Apple did not offer the full unlocked version until several months later. I understand several people bought it full price.

So I am curious, when you bought a full price iPhone 5S when it first comes out (within the first month), how did you get it unlock? Will AT&T (or T Mobile) unlock it for me without question if I provide proof of purchase (copy or fax)?

Thanks.

I got mine on launch day & it came factory unlocked.

gameson

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
that's strange. if i understand correctly, apple store (online) did not offer the unlocked version until several months after launch day and when you bought on launch day at the apple store (B&M), if i read correctly at that day, you had to buy under an account (AT&T or T Mobile) and still locked, even if you paid full price?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Buy the Verizon version full price as it will come unlocked and you can use it pretty much on any carrier.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If you buy an iPhone from Apple here in the UK they are all unlocked, without exception.

I got my 4 and 5 on their respective launch days and they were both unlocked. I'll do the same with the 6 too.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
that's strange. if i understand correctly, apple store (online) did not offer the unlocked version until several months after launch day and when you bought on launch day at the apple store (B&M), if i read correctly at that day, you had to buy under an account (AT&T or T Mobile) and still locked, even if you paid full price?

I bought the Verizon version from Best Buy off contract and it was fully unlocked. I've never had any issues using it on other carriers, whether I'm in the US or not.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Att will let you unlock upto five devices per account and tmobile will unlock devices 30 days after account opening or immidiatly after paid in full i beleive

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
This is a very interesting option, buying the Verizon iPhone because it comes unlocked.

If I go this route, will I get LTE everywhere?

OBF

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I didn't. I got stuck with Cricket and was screwed for nearly a year because they still had 3G and was promised 4G LTE on their website until recently when I got a new AT&T sim card since they purchased Cricket a while back and I now get AT&T's coverage, 4G LTE and everything.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the UK and here you can't buy any iPhone (or iPod, iPad etc) from the online Apple store or shop at any price other than full - even the 4s is still listed at full price. Also, Apple always sell unlocked phones from the first moment they release the phone.

It's probably only the carriers that offer some sort of discounted (subsidised) rate and possibly unlocked too.

I'm moving away from buying phones on contract and instead buy them outright (ie from the Apple online store) and just get SIM-only deals from carriers.

Hope you enjoy the new phone when its out.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I purchased two iPhone 5s's from Verizon, one at full price and the other on contract and both are factory unlocked. Just checked with Verizon and my Note3 is also factory unlocked.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked for GDM and LTE but locked to Verizon for CDMA voice in the U.S (i.e., you can't take it to Sprint but ATT and Tmobile would work fine).

I always forget about this because I would never go back to Sprint on purpose LOL. It's like I only consider the three carriers, completely excluding Sprint. I shouldn't assume others feel the same...shame on me. Unfortunately this is what happens when you have bad cell & customer service.

TheRewardisCheese

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I always forget about this because I would never go back to Sprint on purpose LOL. It's like I only consider the three carriers, completely excluding Sprint. I shouldn't assume others feel the same...shame on me. Unfortunately this is what happens when you have bad cell & customer service.

Nikki, I feel exactly the same way with you on this (Sprint service).

Cujaflow

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Unlocked for GDM and LTE but locked to Verizon for CDMA voice in the U.S (i.e., you can't take it to Sprint but ATT and Tmobile would work fine).

Sorry for my ignorance, but I always see conflicting information on this subject. So if I get my sprint iPhone 5s unlocked, can i use it on At&t or any other sim based service?

Thank you

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711