Restore from backup

anon(4782771)

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a replacement phone and I made sure to backup my current phone to restore my backup from. I was wondering what's everyone's opinion on restores - is it better to do a restore from backup or set it up as a completely new phone?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The only difference is going to be if you want to go literally through your entire replacement phone and redo all the settings or cut to the chase and go from your backup. Personally when I do something like you are going to do,I do a clean install and then go from backup no more than twice so things don't build up. Then I just write down. Y settings and do the 3 rd to 4th from scratch. It's always worked for me. That is just me. Everyone has their own way.

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
If you want to have your files present in the old phone: documents, apps, messages, call history, emails setup, settings setup etc... back to your new phone the way it was, then restore the backup of your old phone into the new one. But if you are willing to restat all over again and manually select and install all apps, settings, ringtones etc... then set it as new.
In my case I would restore from the backup in order to not have to set everything back again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If you didn't have performance issues then just restore from the backup. Restoring as new defeats the purpose of backing up. It's for situations such as yours.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If you didn't have performance issues then just restore from the backup. Restoring as new defeats the purpose of backing up. It's for situations such as yours.

I agree here and with ray especially where he says situations like yours. Mine is for the extreme where you need to virtually start early and I even as said in my other answer, I restore from backup.

anon(4782771)

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all of your answers everyone. I was just curious to see what others did in situations like that. I'm going to restore from backup now but I think that when I get the iPhone 6 I will probably start up new. :)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app