Is it really fine to leave the charger plugged in overnight?

jbmaglunog

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Alright, first of all I'd like you guys know that I already did a bit of googling on this, but I get a number of contradicting answers.

So iPhone pros, is it really fine to leave the charger plugged in overnight? I've been doing it recently since I got that Sleep Cycle app. It instructed me to keep the charger on overnight.

Cheers

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
You can keep the phone charging over night , and actually, your iPhone can keep charging over months, it doesn't hurt the battery at all because the battery stop receiving charges when it reach 100% and restart receiving charges when it decrease from 100% to 99% even though it's plugged. Just make sure that your phone goes through one complete charging cycle a month which means that your battery actually deliver from 100% to 0% of charges to the phone and receive a charges from 0% to 100% per months and your battery will be well calibrate.
iPhone battery doesn't have memory problems, so it doesn't mater if it's plugged receiving charges all nights long all day long or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't know the answer to this, but my phones last a long time and I don't worry about how long it's on the charger.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if charging overnight hurts the battery or not but I picked up a habit from battery university back on my Android days and I always take my phone off the charger when it hits 100%. This usually means I'll put some charge on before bed (rarely needed) then charge to full in the AM while I'm getting ready for work.

Last edited:

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
My dad has always charged his iPhone over night - from the very first iPhone released. I’ve had iPhones since the iPhone 4, and have done likewise. The circuitry is designed to stop charging to prevent over charging, and to switch between full charge and trickle charge to protect the battery. There is absolutely no problem with charging your iPhone overnight.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe it'll have an effect on your phone. I just make sure to do a full discharge of the battery at last once every two months.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My dad has always charged his iPhone over night - from the very first iPhone released. I’ve had iPhones since the iPhone 4, and have done likewise. The circuitry is designed to stop charging to prevent over charging, and to switch between full charge and trickle charge to protect the battery. There is absolutely no problem with charging your iPhone overnight.

OEM chargers do that... knockoffs? Caveat emptor.

joemd60

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
This is my primary phone. So I charge it overnight every night. I also fully discharge the battery once a month.
I am going on 7 months with the 5C, and I am still impressed with the battery life.

Last edited:

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I charge my phone every night and have never fully discharged it or any of my iPhones. Never had any issues.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I charge my phone every night and have never fully discharged it or any of my iPhones. Never had any issues.

That full discharge is something I just don't do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do a full discharge when I notice my battery unable to charge up to 100%. It'll generally reach 97% or 98%, Then stop. That's when I let it drain out.

Sent from a larger than life device using Tapatalk!

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I always leave my iPhones and iPads plugged in over night. I have had an iPhone since the 3GS and haven't had a problem yet. I'd say you're safe OP 😊.

Not that you asked but I have all of my electronics (especially my Apple stuff) on heavy duty surge protectors and I only use official apple cables. Just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods