Trading my 4s in today for the 5s

DoeZ

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So I'm taking advantage of the offer Apple gave me. Why not right? It's a free new phone and right now our contract is month to month. I went to the Apple store site that is in my area and it says it'll give me up to $270 to trade in my phone and get the new one...hmmm...same deal? Is it better for me to go to my Cell Phone Provider Verizon to get the new phone or will I get a better deal at a Apple store? Need to know which one is going to give me a better deal with my contract.:confused:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's like trading in a car, the best you can do is sell the car yourself and THEN just get a deal on the new car, use the money you got as a down payment. iPhones hold their value pretty good. Now the downside to this is the hassle of selling the phone yourself, listing it on ebay, craigslist or the iMore. Sometimes it's just easier to trade it in when you upgrade.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with pk; however, if they are actually going to give you 270...that's pretty good for a 4s (from what I have seen on craigslist).

Check the sites that pk suggested, check the prices they are selling for (not being asked for, but the final price), and determine if it is worth selling yourself.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I only got $67 for my iPhone 4 on trade in for my iPhone 5 last August with Verizon. Found out later everyone was getting more. :( But then in March my wife gets a pretty new blue iPhone 5c free. :) Go figure!

Sent from from my iPhone 5

DoeZ

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So I went into the local Apple store near us and spent about an hour with a really nice rep named Jamie. She was so patient and understanding with all my questions and concerns and she really went thru the entire explanation of the recycle plan with me. The $270 that I mentioned would have been for a different iPhone...ex-if I had the iPhone5s and wanted to upgrade to a different iPhone which I don't know what would be available other than ones with more GB or something but that wasn't for me. What I did get was $199 for my 4s...trading my 4s in and getting the 5s for $0 with a 2yr contract (of course) but looking at their plans and considering that we've been with Verizon for more than 20yrs plus...we were Grandfathered into our Data Plan...hated to lose that but they were getting rid of that eventually...but again looking at the plans and how many phones we have and how many actually use data (which is only 2 of us;)) the total of the plan turned out to be what we're paying now. So it basically was a WIN-WIN :yes: at least in my eyes it was...because when they do come out with the next os...the 4s won't be able to get it...now I will :biggrin: again WIN-WIN :yes:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So I'm taking advantage of the offer Apple gave me. Why not right? It's a free new phone and right now our contract is month to month. I went to the Apple store site that is in my area and it says it'll give me up to $270 to trade in my phone and get the new one...hmmm...same deal? Is it better for me to go to my Cell Phone Provider Verizon to get the new phone or will I get a better deal at a Apple store? Need to know which one is going to give me a better deal with my contract.:confused:

"up to $270" is key. most likely you won't get anywhere near that for a 4s. Most likely you would be better off selling somewhere else and then just buying the phone with the money made from selling your old phone.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2