HSPA+/LTE & Wi-Fi

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
My phone is connected to my home wifi network & when I hit the power button I see LTE in the status bar. Why if I'm connected to wifi (it changes back to wifi when I have the screen on for a little bit or if I unlock it)?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
That's a problem with all the iPhones. Does not happen all the time. But it's a big drawback when it comes to battery life and data usage. I used to have cellular on for app updates and this failure cost me lot of unnecessary data charge.

If anyone of you think you don't have this problem. Try resetting your data usage for zero and see.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
My phone is connected to my home wifi network & when I hit the power button I see LTE in the status bar. Why if I'm connected to wifi (it changes back to wifi when I have the screen on for a little bit or if I unlock it)?

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

It's a built in battery saving policy by design.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=wifi...uring+sleep+iphone+site:discussions.apple.com

You can find similar answers when you read the threads on apple support communities

elvisx77

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Battery saving policy ?? How come it saves battery when connected to the cellular data. Still it's a drawback.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iMore Forums mobile app

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Because cellular data in sleep mode only drains battery when in use, as wifi constantly drains battery to stay connected. That's what I read in those threads.

uputadap.jpg

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Because cellular data in sleep mode only drains battery when in use, as wifi constantly drains battery to stay connected. That's what I read in those threads.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/15/uputadap.jpg

It's always been odd to me because when I had an iPhone and now Android.. I don't see much difference in the drain at all with wifi on or not.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The wifi doesn't fully turn off... it goes into "hot stand-by" - and is still connected when the screen is off.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Since iOS 7 my phone stays connected to wifi even while locked and I have cellular data on. I should note that on my 5S that I only get DC-HSDPA in my area LTE is not available in my area yet.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Since iOS 7 my phone stays connected to wifi even while locked and I have cellular data on. I should note that on my 5S that I only get DC-HSDPA in my area LTE is not available in my area yet.

Sent from my Jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Mine stays in wifi too & I have LTE in my area. It probably depends on the carrier too

Mateus C

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't depend on the carrier. It's completely normal.

When your iPhone is locked, it stop using wifi to save battery.

You may ask: doesn't LTE spend more battery?

When wifi is on, it is spending battery all time to stay on, LTE/4G/3G or any other cellular data only spends battery if sending data, if not it saves battery.

AND... Your iPhone connects to the wifi sometimes to check if there's any app update to do and things like that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods