Iphone 5s- Are bumper cases good enough?

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Um, i just need to know as my title suggests are bumper cases good enough for the iphone 5s. I don't mind scratches and cuffs( i actually like the wear and tear) but i definitely cannot bear a shattered screen. And are there any shatterproof screen protectors?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I guess it's horses for courses. For me, no a bumper isn't sufficient as I like a complete pristine phone when I come to sell it as I know I can get top dollar for it in that condition.

Others roll naked with their phone and haven't reported any issues other than normal bumps and scrapes.

If you are living or working in a hard environment then I doubt a bumper will be sufficient. Only you can really tell if a bumper will suit your needs, to be honest.

There's more chance of damage if you drop a phone with a bumper on it but how much more damage is down to so many different factors it's hard to quantify.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Most bumper cases give no protection for the screen area because they sit flush with the side of the phone. There's no overlap to cushion a direct flat face fall

That's why there called bumper case they give minimal protection to the corners of the phone like a pool table

blueshapti

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I roll with the tech21 bumper and use the clear plastic back cover. Nothing covering the screen, but the bumper surrounds the edges such that laying phone on flat surface screen down, keeps screen about 1 mm above surface. With three drops i can recall, bumper kept phone like new so far. One thing I particularly like is the phone is less slippery in the hand. The bumper is more grippy than naked phone.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have found the opposite to be true. Unlike many cases that do not offer a "lip" above the screen, most bumper cases I have come across due. I believe with a bumper case, you are protected against the drop that hits on the corner or side of the phone. But like many other cases, if you drop screen down onto a rock or something else that is protruding from the ground, that screen is bound to shatter.

This gives an idea of the lip I was referencing
View attachment 54802
View attachment 54803

I agree with you but the definition of a bumper case is in question. The case shown by you is not what I call a bumper case

A bumper case to me doesn't cover the speaker ports or power button just the back and corners with a little side just enough to keep it attached to the phone

leepierre

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I use my 5s naked but i applied tempered glass on it. In fact, i use tempered glass on all my iDevices. IPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I got ya. I was thinking along the lines of this type as it's all I have ever really seen. I personally struggle because I want badly to show off the beautiful design of the iphone, and bumpers tend to show more, but I worry like you about keeping the pristine condition for resale. I currently use the black leather apple case. I used to have the red, and LOVED it, but it got too dirty too quickly.

The Apple cases are nice

This is just a scratch resistance case no drop protection at all
qatuvuby.jpg

ypujujav.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Aww heck. Just get a big ole bulky Otterbox Defender and be done with it. Then you can drop your phone from 5 stories up and it won't break! :D No, No don't try that! :)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Aww heck. Just get a big ole bulky Otterbox Defender and be done with it. Then you can drop your phone from 5 stories up and it won't break! :D No, No don't try that! :)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Those Otterbox are huge at least the old ones. I got a LP Fr? in my tech draw for camping weekends

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I use bumper cases. I went to five below yesterday and got a mobile armor protector to protect my phone (back+front) from scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PmmDan1310

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Subh98. There are certainly shatterproof screen protectors but I might suggest a glass screen protector if you haven't already tried them. Is there a specific reason why you're looking for something that's shatterproof? Glass screen protectors are all the rage right now and offer not only scratch protection but impact protection as well. Some are better than others in the impact protection arena but as far as protecting your screen from scratches all should do the trick. Do your research regarding impact protection. My company (BodyGuardz) manufacturers a .4 mm chemically strengthened tempered glass screen protector with naturally healed edges. It is the strongest I have tested to date and I've tested product from all over the world and from all the major competitors. Happy to send you frontal impact, and side impact testing results.
Um, i just need to know as my title suggests are bumper cases good enough for the iphone 5s. I don't mind scratches and cuffs( i actually like the wear and tear) but i definitely cannot bear a shattered screen. And are there any shatterproof screen protectors?

Subh98

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi Subh98. There are certainly shatterproof screen protectors but I might suggest a glass screen protector if you haven't already tried them. Is there a specific reason why you're looking for something that's shatterproof? Glass screen protectors are all the rage right now and offer not only scratch protection but impact protection as well. Some are better than others in the impact protection arena but as far as protecting your screen from scratches all should do the trick. Do your research regarding impact protection. My company (BodyGuardz) manufacturers a .4 mm chemically strengthened tempered glass screen protector with naturally healed edges. It is the strongest I have tested to date and I've tested product from all over the world and from all the major competitors. Happy to send you frontal impact, and side impact testing results.

Yes please. I would be delighted, thanks for the help. Actually though i don't drop or scratch my phones once my lumia 720 dropped from 5 inches and its screen shattered. And in most bumper cases i have seen a lip and as far as i have seen if a phone does not make direct contact on fall(i.e flat drop) with the surface on falling it usually survives unscathed. But if it falls face down it will surely be shattered which can be prevented by bumper cases which provide a lip and they also show the phone's quality. Moreover if tempered glass screen protectors are good i will definitely like to use them instead of cases.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
When I think of a bumper I think of the ones Apple gave us for the 4/4S. I think something like that would suit me as I work a desk job and try not to access my phone in "dangerous" situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Good enough depends on the individual. If you are trying to defend the phone from being shattered I'd suggest an otterbox defender or commuter as they have a large lip around the screen to protect it. That being said there is NOTHING out there that will stop your screen from getting shattered if you drop an otterbox from three feet and it lands the right way your screen will crack. I've seen it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The Yo Yo case with a string around your finger if you drop it you just pull up and it's back in your hand

Taking kickstarter donations if your interested ☺️

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
The Yo Yo case with a string around your finger if you drop it you just pull up and it's back in your hand

Taking kickstarter donations if your interested ☺️

Haha sad part is people would buy it

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711