How do you tell if your iPhone 5s is a refurbished unit?

yungboi

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I might need to get a replacement from apple store they told me but Is there a way to check on the iPhone itself if its refurbished or new? And is it true that refurbished is better ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had a few refurbished phones over the years. They are usually pretty good because they've been inspected before being shipped out.

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
How to identify a an iPhone refurb:
How to Identify a Refurbished Iphone: 4 Steps (with Pictures)

Sent from from my iPhone 5

Not sure how accurate this page is anymore. If I go by their definitions of the serial number my 4S was made in 2008.

Getting back to the OPs question about refurbs being better, not all refurbs are created equal. I have gotten a refurb (iphone 4) from Asurion and to be honest it was junk and overheated just by looking at it. Thankfully that phone was still under Apples warranty period and the Apple store replaced it for me with one of their refurbs. My son is still using it as we speak. If you are getting a refurb from Apple then you have little to worry about because Apple has an image to maintain. They will not pass junk over their counter unlike phone insurance companies like Asurion who are more profit driven, than loyalty driven.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
The NE- indicates whether it's a replacement unit or not, but it still might be new or refurbished.

When it's an Apple refurbished unit, I won't care. They replace the battery and the casing, and make sure the rest of it works. So it's as good as new anyway.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had a replacement 4S that had 20% worse battery life almost all the way across the board (expect standby, that actually improved) compared to my original 4S.

Sent from my iPhone 5S or 5th gen iPod Touch using Tapatalk

MacintoshDan

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've personally had about 4 iPhone 5s, and 3 iPad Airs, it's been a replacement nightmare for me as of late. I'm happy with my 3rd iPad Air, the original had bands going through the screen, the second misaligned magnets for the Smart Cover, but this iPhone has bad battery life. I think I'm going to have to go back again for yet another replacement. I must be unlucky.

Sent from my AT&T Space Gray 16 GB iPhone 5s using iMore Forums

yungboi

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Also when they exchange do they know that my iPhone is unlocked already or do I have to tell them? Because my iPhone is Att but unlocked using on Tmobile

yungboi

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Yea I went today they gave me a new one it's refurbished tho. But at least the problems I had with the other one isn't happening with this one so I'm ok with it.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Also when they exchange do they know that my iPhone is unlocked already or do I have to tell them? Because my iPhone is Att but unlocked using on Tmobile

If you got it unlocked legitimately -- i.e., the IMEI is on the whitelist -- you should have been given an unlocked unit.

As we haven't heard a complaint about that here, I assume they did.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
This is all BS. There is no way to tell. And that site referenced above says my 5S was manufactured in 2007. More BS. Not sure it really matters, anyway. The "refurbs" are completely redone, and good as new, IMO. And you have a warranty. Why all the hand wringing?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If you got it unlocked legitimately -- i.e., the IMEI is on the whitelist -- you should have been given an unlocked unit.

As we haven't heard a complaint about that here, I assume they did.

Apple will only give you an unlocked phone as a replacement if you bought an unlocked phone. If you had the phone unlocked after the fact by anyone, including your wireless provider, you get a phone that is locked to your carrier. Maybe it’s unfair, but that’s how it works. Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Yea I went today they gave me a new one it's refurbished tho. But at least the problems I had with the other one isn't happening with this one so I'm ok with it.

Answer a final question for us, please: was your refurbished replacement phone unlocked, or did you have to get it unlocked again? And did you talk to them about that?

Sent from my Xperia Tablet Z using Tapatalk