Coming from larger screen devices.

brianLTE

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

The last iPhone I owned was a 4 when it first came out. Since then I've had lumia 900/920 and currently on a Nexus 5. My concern is the screen real estate I'm losing by getting a 5S. Has anyone dealt with this and how long did it take to get used to? Thanks!

Posted via the Android iMore App!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello and Welcome to iMore!!! A couple of years ago, I transitioned from an Evo 3D to the 4S. It took me about a month of two to get use to it and it wasn't as painful as I thought. Many of the features I like about iOS outweighed the screen size issue. I'm sure others will chime in with more recent transitions. There are a bunch of people here in the forum that have gone from larger screens to the iPhone.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just adding on to nikkisharif's point about features. From all of the reviews and informal forum discussions I've read, and my own personal experiences, the 5S camera is one of the overall best on the market today. This is one key feature that keeps me with the 5S.

I grew up in a land before time where digital cameras were not yet invented. Taking photos of kids, travels, or other important events meant waiting days for film to be processed. Later, one hour processing became affordable and generally available. Still, you never quite knew how that important shot would turn out, if at all.

Of course today we are all fortunate to have digital photo and movie capabilities right in our hand. So, if photos and video are important to you, the 5S capabilities and consistent quality in this space are in my view worth giving up larger (and much easier to read) screen size.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi Brian, I see you're relatively new to iMore, so firstly, welcome!

Don't forget the iPhone 6 is rumoured to have a larger screen when it releases later this year.

I have a Note 3 (5.7" screen), HTC One (4.7" screen) and an iPhone 5 and if I want to read something long, I will use the Note. It's why I have the Note for work and the iPhone for personal use.

Saying that, the iPhone has a great screen and if I could only choose one phone to use from now on, it would be the iPhone every day of the week. Reading the same email on both devices isn't any different really, I just have to do a bit more scrolling on the iPhone. I had an iPhone way before I got my first Android phone and from my experience, even taking into account screen size, the iPhone wins by a country mile.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the note 3 before coming back to iOS with the 5S. Huge difference but it really didn't bother me after a few days. I just like iOS better than Android. The apps, software updates, and camera are what brought be back. I have an iPad for when I need a bigger screen.

Sent from my iPad LTE

theromz

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Pretty different then everyone here, I had a Nexus 4, went to the 5s and I just couldn't get used to the size, things like reading web pages and so on just weren't as comfortable, now I have a Nexus 5 and I think the iPhone 6 will be ideal, nice bump up in screen space and rumours point to it being as tall as the Nexus 5 but narrower which is really good. One thing I really hope is that they don't make it any thinner.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73