Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Default 5 to 5s? Any good?

Anyone upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s? Was the difference big? Do you regret upgrading so soon and not waiting for 6? I'm still using i5 running ios 6.1.4 tho.. (:

Sent from my iPod touch 5 using iMore Forums
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,187 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: 5 to 5s? Any good?

This thread has been done, but no, no regrets after upgrading last fall...it was truly a spectrum wide upgrade vs. the iPhone 5 and I'm very happy with the device.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iMore Nanite

In a way I do. I had the 5 and was waiting for the 6 to come out and was gonna be eligible for my upgrade shortly after it came out. I was content with the 5. It wasn't much slower than the 5s. The Touch ID not being on the 5 didn't bother me. I do love that feature now btw. My 5 was abused and never in a case and it got to the point to where the battery died at 30%, and you had to prop the charging cable up to get it to charge. Had to suck it up and use the early iPhone upgrade att offered me and paid 465 for the 5s. It's an awesome phone but if my 5 didn't start crapping out on me I would of held on to it until the 6 came out with no worries.

I agree with Sean...no regrets at all!!! I upgrade my phone every year, so if I like the 6 I'll get it, if not...I'll check out something else.

Just because they look alike there's a major difference between the two I upgraded from an i5 and you notice it right away

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    cwbcpa likes this.

Global Posts
    2,778 Global Posts
    iOS Version

No regrets. Love it. And what did we do before fingerprint scanning
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    No regrets. Love it. And what did we do before fingerprint scanning
    I agree. When I go to use anything else I am frustrated when I have to enter a code or use a pattern to unlock. I didn't think much of it at first, but now that I am used to it, I don't want to go without it.

Went from the iPhone 5 to 5s and noticed the difference, esp the camera. Have no regrets
    Taz323

Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by phreddyl View Post
    And what did we do before fingerprint scanning
    Come on, Hong Kong Fooey ...we karate chopped the home button. JK

I've tried a family members 5S but I chose to hold on to my iP5's & wait for the 6. IMO, the finger print scanner was nice but the speed enhancement over the 5 didn't seem significant enough to justify me upgrading. It surely wasn't a night & day difference as I would of hoped.

Global Posts
    2,778 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by sinfool View Post
    Come on, Hong Kong Fooey ...we karate chopped the home button. JK

I've tried a family members 5S but I chose to hold on to my iP5's & wait for the 6. IMO, the finger print scanner was nice but the speed enhancement over the 5 didn't seem significant enough to justify me upgrading. It surely wasn't a night & day difference as I would of hoped.
    True it's not night and day but I sold my 5 so it was an even swap.
    sinfool likes this.

Global Posts
    3,500 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

I regret waiting a couple of months to ditch the 5 and get the 5S after it was released.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With a little over 5 months to go (assuming it releases mid Sept), may as well wait for the iPhone 6 at this point.... I have a 5 myself, and itching to upgrade... but at this point, may as well wait rather than burn up an upgrade (I'm off contract right now).
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    874 Global Posts

Not enough for you to upgrade, no. Especially not at this point in the game, the 6 will most likely be released soon, and you'll be kicking yourself for not waiting.

Global Posts
    4,095 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The 5s is definitely a worthy upgrade. but if you can really hold off till you get a recontract, you should. If you have one though, I don't see why you shouldn't upgrade. The 6 is still far off.

Global Posts
    1,424 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

As someone who just broke his iPhone 5 and is desperately trying to wait until the iPhone 6 comes out and spend the insurance money on that, this thread isn't helping!

I haven't bought the 'S' upgrade (except the 3GS, which I did buy) as I consider there wasn't enough of a jump from the 4 to 4S and 5 to 5S for me to sell my current model and get the new one.

Admittedly, there seems like there is much more of a jump from the 5 to 5S than from the 4 to 4S though.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,338 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The 5s is a great and worthy device. I'm sorry, there's just no getting around that. 😳

via the tablet 🔵
    iMore Expert

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.1

I bought the 5S because my iPhone 5 got stolen during the summer. I like the upgrade. My favorite feature is the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Upgraded from 5 to 5S. Was the most useless upgrade I have yet made, as I did not notice any difference between the devices. My fingerprint scanner does not work, though. The A7 probably does, but I do not see it adding any value, since 5 was already fast enough, and the screen is the exact same panel as on 5, that is, blacks will be shown as greys on 5S as well and outdoor readibility remains a bottleneck. Seeing how fast the competition is moving, I was really-surprised Apple treated 5S as an afterthought and just did not bother this time around.

I donated my old iP5 to my mum, but she did not want to replace her Nokia with it, as she found iOS clumsy and cumbersome, and the screen too small. So I ended up selling it and got a good 300$ for it. Not bad. Though it was in mint condition -- no scratches or anything -- since I do not abuse my phones.

Unless iP6 does something truly magical, 5S will probably be my last iPhone for the foreseeable future, and I will be jumping platforms when the next upgrade is due. I will remain an iPad user, though, at least for the time being, as the tablet product line is actually competitive.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

I went from i5 to a nexus 5 then to my i5s. It's nice to be back
    The improvement are noticeable but not earth shattering. You'll see it mostly in the camera and load time/processing speed. Since you're still running iOS 6 you'll notice a big difference in the jump to iOS 7. I fully recommend jailbreaking to get the most out of the phone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,338 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Cowan View Post
    The improvement are noticeable but not earth shattering. You'll see it mostly in the camera and load time/processing speed. Since you're still running iOS 6 you'll notice a big difference in the jump to iOS 7. I fully recommend jailbreaking to get the most out of the phone.
    Why did you leave Nexus 5?

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫️
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    868 Global Posts

I'm liking the new camera flash, and the finger print scanner does serve a good purpose. Do I think I got my 850.00 worth with the upgrade, not really.. But if you have waited this long with the 5 if hold out until fall if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    " Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that , who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Cowan View Post
    If jailbreaking is necessary to the user, I would recommended going straight to Android instead. iOS is not meant to be altered in any fashion and hence no other than the official configuration is supported by Apple. I hear people running jailbroken devices have all kinds of weird issues that I am not facing on my standard setup. I would rather not buy the msot expensive 'normal' phone on the market and then compromise its quality.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    I'm liking the new camera flash, and the finger print scanner does serve a good purpose. Do I think I got my 850.00 worth with the upgrade, not really.. But if you have waited this long with the 5 if hold out until fall if I were you.
    Everyone who has not yet moved to 5S from 5 and is not suffering from immediate hardware problems should wait till iP6 and upgrade then. The only thing 5S has going for it compared to 5 is the TouchID thing and that is not worth the 800 to 1000 dollars the new phone costs. And with bad luck, the scanner will not work well or be calibrated correctly on your device, in which case even that little improvement is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappiste View Post
    Everyone who has not yet moved to 5S from 5 and is not suffering from immediate hardware problems should wait till iP6 and upgrade then. The only thing 5S has going for it compared to 5 is the TouchID thing and that is not worth the 800 to 1000 dollars the new phone costs. And with bad luck, the scanner will not work well or be calibrated correctly on your device, in which case even that little improvement is moot.
    Your incorrect I came from an i5 and not only does it work as designed but works good and if you read the 5s specs you would know that other than looks alone the 5s is a totally different device from the camera to the internals

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s
    webOS for life

iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    868 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trappiste View Post
    Yeah that's what I was sayin

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    " Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes; after that , who cares?! He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast