5 to 5s? Any good?

leepierre

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Anyone upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s? Was the difference big? Do you regret upgrading so soon and not waiting for 6? I'm still using i5 running ios 6.1.4 tho.. :)

Sent from my iPod touch 5 using iMore Forums

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
This thread has been done, but no, no regrets after upgrading last fall...it was truly a spectrum wide upgrade vs. the iPhone 5 and I'm very happy with the device.

tattooed4515

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
In a way I do. I had the 5 and was waiting for the 6 to come out and was gonna be eligible for my upgrade shortly after it came out. I was content with the 5. It wasn't much slower than the 5s. The Touch ID not being on the 5 didn't bother me. I do love that feature now btw. My 5 was abused and never in a case and it got to the point to where the battery died at 30%, and you had to prop the charging cable up to get it to charge. Had to suck it up and use the early iPhone upgrade att offered me and paid 465 for the 5s. It's an awesome phone but if my 5 didn't start crapping out on me I would of held on to it until the 6 came out with no worries.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Sean...no regrets at all!!! I upgrade my phone every year, so if I like the 6 I'll get it, if not...I'll check out something else.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Just because they look alike there's a major difference between the two I upgraded from an i5 and you notice it right away

iMore Ambassador -iPhone 5s

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No regrets. Love it. And what did we do before fingerprint scanning

I agree. When I go to use anything else I am frustrated when I have to enter a code or use a pattern to unlock. I didn't think much of it at first, but now that I am used to it, I don't want to go without it.

sinfool

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
And what did we do before fingerprint scanning

Come on, Hong Kong Fooey ...we karate chopped the home button. JK

I've tried a family members 5S but I chose to hold on to my iP5's & wait for the 6. IMO, the finger print scanner was nice but the speed enhancement over the 5 didn't seem significant enough to justify me upgrading. It surely wasn't a night & day difference as I would of hoped.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Come on, Hong Kong Fooey ...we karate chopped the home button. JK

I've tried a family members 5S but I chose to hold on to my iP5's & wait for the 6. IMO, the finger print scanner was nice but the speed enhancement over the 5 didn't seem significant enough to justify me upgrading. It surely wasn't a night & day difference as I would of hoped.

True it's not night and day but I sold my 5 so it was an even swap.

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
With a little over 5 months to go (assuming it releases mid Sept), may as well wait for the iPhone 6 at this point.... I have a 5 myself, and itching to upgrade... but at this point, may as well wait rather than burn up an upgrade (I'm off contract right now).

ajl

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Not enough for you to upgrade, no. Especially not at this point in the game, the 6 will most likely be released soon, and you'll be kicking yourself for not waiting.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The 5s is definitely a worthy upgrade. but if you can really hold off till you get a recontract, you should. If you have one though, I don't see why you shouldn't upgrade. The 6 is still far off.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
As someone who just broke his iPhone 5 and is desperately trying to wait until the iPhone 6 comes out and spend the insurance money on that, this thread isn't helping! :D

I haven't bought the 'S' upgrade (except the 3GS, which I did buy) as I consider there wasn't enough of a jump from the 4 to 4S and 5 to 5S for me to sell my current model and get the new one.

Admittedly, there seems like there is much more of a jump from the 5 to 5S than from the 4 to 4S though.

thatgirl87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the 5S because my iPhone 5 got stolen during the summer. I like the upgrade. My favorite feature is the camera.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Trappiste

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded from 5 to 5S. Was the most useless upgrade I have yet made, as I did not notice any difference between the devices. My fingerprint scanner does not work, though. The A7 probably does, but I do not see it adding any value, since 5 was already fast enough, and the screen is the exact same panel as on 5, that is, blacks will be shown as greys on 5S as well and outdoor readibility remains a bottleneck. Seeing how fast the competition is moving, I was really-surprised Apple treated 5S as an afterthought and just did not bother this time around.

I donated my old iP5 to my mum, but she did not want to replace her Nokia with it, as she found iOS clumsy and cumbersome, and the screen too small. So I ended up selling it and got a good 300$ for it. Not bad. Though it was in mint condition -- no scratches or anything -- since I do not abuse my phones.

Unless iP6 does something truly magical, 5S will probably be my last iPhone for the foreseeable future, and I will be jumping platforms when the next upgrade is due. I will remain an iPad user, though, at least for the time being, as the tablet product line is actually competitive.

Taylor Cowan

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I went from i5 to a nexus 5 then to my i5s. It's nice to be back
The improvement are noticeable but not earth shattering. You'll see it mostly in the camera and load time/processing speed. Since you're still running iOS 6 you'll notice a big difference in the jump to iOS 7. I fully recommend jailbreaking to get the most out of the phone.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I went from i5 to a nexus 5 then to my i5s. It's nice to be back
The improvement are noticeable but not earth shattering. You'll see it mostly in the camera and load time/processing speed. Since you're still running iOS 6 you'll notice a big difference in the jump to iOS 7. I fully recommend jailbreaking to get the most out of the phone.

Why did you leave Nexus 5?

Sent from my ME308LL/A ⚫

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods