Broke down and got the Product Red iPhone 5s case

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the black one and I love it but all this talk about the red one is making me want to pick one up.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Good choice and while John is right also, It is up to you and I use it, My red iPad case looks brand new as I clean it once a month with saddle soap.

I tried using saddle soap but it didn't seem to work at all. Perhaps I was just doing it wrong.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I just don't like the loose fitment of the leather case, otherwise I'd still be use it...all 3 of mine (2 reds and a black) have eventually became so loose around the devices edge that the phone easily pops out a little when handling it, and that to me drove me nuts. I loved all of the leather cases visually, but not mechanically (so to speak).

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I just don't like the loose fitment of the leather case, otherwise I'd still be use it...all 3 of mine (2 reds and a black) have eventually became so loose around the devices edge that the phone easily pops out a little when handling it, and that to me drove me nuts. I loved all of the leather cases visually, but not mechanically (so to speak).

That's strange that you've had that issue with all three. Mine fits perfectly and I switch cases often, so it definitely gets its on/off mileage.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
One word of advice...Don't ever use Alcohol of any kind on it. It will take out the natural oils of the leather and crack it and dry it out.

I know, but it's the cross I bear as a germophobe. I don't get it dirty so just dabbing a spot off of it once with an alcohol swab won't hurt, because otherwise it sticks to the UV sanitizer, which was pretty much the best stocking-stuffer ever because I'm able to easily clean my phones whenever I want and know that it gets a full 360 degrees. My fellow germophobes will understand. :D

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's strange that you've had that issue with all three. Mine fits perfectly and I switch cases often, so it definitely gets its on/off mileage.

Not just mine either...my wife's brown leather case, and the guy who actually swapped out one of my red cases for a black one (he said his would be on the verge of coming out of the case at times). I love the way they look, but if I'm going to use a case, it needs to stay put.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Not just mine either...my wife's brown leather case, and the guy who actually swapped out one of my red cases for a black one (he said his would be on the verge of coming out of the case at times). I love the way they look, but if I'm going to use a case, it needs to stay put.

That sucks, wish you could get a decent one so you could actually enjoy it.

parker5011

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
ury7eju9.jpg
tu8asa3u.jpg

This is how my case looks after about 5 months. Still love it but def has the "worn" look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine looked like that after a little over a month. I didn't use any polish or sealants. I imagine my black version would show the same look if it wasn't, well, black. Miss the red a lot but I know myself and I won't go through the necessary steps to try and preserve the original look of the case.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine looked like that after a little over a month. I didn't use any polish or sealants. I imagine my black version would show the same look if it wasn't, well, black. Miss the red a lot but I know myself and I won't go through the necessary steps to try and preserve the original look of the case.

I think I like the case enough to force myself to care for it...for the next few months at least...

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine looks about like that as well.

Wow, I guess mine is the sole survivor. I don't take care of it any differently than I do any of my other cases, though. What do you guys do for work? And are the spots something on top of the red or where the red has worn off from friction? I'd assume the latter, but obviously I don't know for sure.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I guess mine is the sole survivor. I don't take care of it any differently than I do any of my other cases, though. What do you guys do for work? And are the spots something on top of the red or where the red has worn off from friction? I'd assume the latter, but obviously I don't know for sure.

I'm a CPA so it could have a bit to do with work since I'm handling a lot of papers with ink. I also handle my phone while I'm at my Crossfit gym. The leather itself is not worn on my case. It's purely dirt baked into the leather.
The broad back of the case is a darker red from aging and I'm cool with that. But the edges on mine looked filthy.

EggoEspada

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
One man's classy is another man's filthy lol
But darn did I ever love the look of that case. That's it I'm getting another one.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/09/he4edahy.jpg

This is why I haven't gotten one for my 5s and Air. I'm finding a hard time justifying a case that's pretty costly considering the type of protection it offers (or lack-of), and one that gets dirty so quick. I probably won't have to worry about that so much with my iPad Air, but I know it'll turn to that pretty quick with my iPhone.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
This is the best perspective I can give to my experience. While I understand the process of aging regarding leather, I hoped my case would retain the look it had on day one. The contrast it gave to my black 5S was beyond gorgeous. But the middle pic shows its condition at month 2.

The black case as been on my phone for 3.5 months. It hides the dirt well. Wish it was red, but I'll take the boring with the look of cleanliness. Both cases have retained a very snug fit which is great. Almost too snug when it comes to removal.

uvubevuz.jpg

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is the best perspective I can give to my experience. While I understand the process of aging regarding leather, I hoped my case would retain the look it had on day one. The contrast it gave to my black 5S was beyond gorgeous. But the middle pic shows its condition at month 2.

The black case as been on my phone for 3.5 months. It hides the dirt well. Wish it was red, but I'll take the boring with the look of cleanliness. Both cases have retained a very snug fit which is great. Almost too snug when it comes to removal.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/11/uvubevuz.jpg

I agree.

I actually saw that they put a disclaimer on the packaging of the red case, saying that the "color might be subject to changes," which is interesting.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I know, but it's the cross I bear as a germophobe. I don't get it dirty so just dabbing a spot off of it once with an alcohol swab won't hurt, because otherwise it sticks to the UV sanitizer, which was pretty much the best stocking-stuffer ever because I'm able to easily clean my phones whenever I want and know that it gets a full 360 degrees. My fellow germophobes will understand. :D
You are more than welcome to clean your case as you like but when you see the alcohol dry a spot or pull the dye or oil out and make it less shiny than the rest - germophobe or not you will see but I hope it works for you even if you use it a little.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm a CPA so it could have a bit to do with work since I'm handling a lot of papers with ink. I also handle my phone while I'm at my Crossfit gym. The leather itself is not worn on my case. It's purely dirt baked into the leather.
The broad back of the case is a darker red from aging and I'm cool with that. But the edges on mine looked filthy.

Agreed. I assume mine is just dirt. I also use the phone while on my elliptical machine.

Gotcha. I agree that the aged red doesn't look bad at all, the compounded dirt is the issue.

You are more than welcome to clean your case as you like but when you see the alcohol dry a spot or pull the dye or oil out and make it less shiny than the rest - germophobe or not you will see but I hope it works for you even if you use it a little.

You're absolutely right, if you really scrub, it's definitely going to pull the dye out, but I tried my best to just dab until it came off. Luckily, it was just a small spot so it didn't take a lot of effort. I just try to keep my phone clean anyway though so that it doesn't become an issue.