i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Gee wiz. That was a quick turn of events. I couldn't be satisfied with ANY device two years... I don't know how people can do the conventional 2 year contracts honestly. Well, good luck to you and do what makes you happy!

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

Wow, i had my blackberry, the same phone for almost 4 years. It just worked, until after the fourth time I dropped it on cement, caseless. To me phones are utilitarian. Make a call, take a picture, run an app.

I have my ipad, when i need serious screen real estate and 10 hours of batteries.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Wow, i had my blackberry, the same phone for almost 4 years. It just worked, until after the fourth time I dropped it on cement, caseless. To me phones are utilitarian. Make a call, take a picture, run an app.

I have my ipad, when i need serious screen real estate and 10 hours of batteries.

I just had to restore my 5c, I drunkenly set an impossible password. Haha.

It needed the update anyways...

Sent from my electronic device using Tapatalk.

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
It takes me 10 seconds to dictate war and peace and another few seconds to fix the punctuation. To me, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

It's definitely a nice feature to have, but I don't often need to use speech-to-text dictation to quote War and Peace in its entirety. I text either because I don't feel like picking up the phone and placing a phone call, because it's a quick message, or because it's a private conversation that I don't feel the need advertise to the people around me. So while it's an awesome feature to have when I need it, particularly when driving, it's something that I need few and far between.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely a nice feature to have, but I don't often need to use speech-to-text dictation to quote War and Peace in its entirety. I text either because I don't feel like picking up the phone and placing a phone call, because it's a quick message, or because it's a private conversation that I don't feel the need advertise to the people around me. So while it's an awesome feature to have when I need it, particularly when driving, it's something that I need few and far between.

Obviously the ability to dictate is based on your surroundings. Replying to forum posts is my best use for it.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
iPhone 6 will lure you back.

Unless they revamp the OS it will not be usable to me. Revamp goes beyond changing fonts, icons, and adding transitions. Some of the plumbing to make the device more seamless and easier to use (i.e. sharing data from app to app) is simply not there or very weakly implemented. Android's Sharing Intents are a huge advantage over iOS at this point. I couldn't even export to Camera Roll from the OneDrive app on the iPhone, which is made worse by the fact that I gave up S Beam by going from a GS3 to the 5S - so instead of taking 2 minutes to transfer about a gig of video from a friend's phone to mine after practices (he records for me on his S4), I had to wait til he got home and uploaded it to a shared OneDrive folder.

I was more eager to ditch Android for the 5S than I've ever been for any other phone upgrade (I was posting how excited I would be to finally ditch Android on other forums, Lol) - EXCITED, yet I was even more eager to run back to Android 10 days later when I was returning it. Caught up in the hype, maybe, but that's what it was... This was a total reality check.

Using iOS felt like going from Windows or Mac OSX back to MS/PC-DOS.

It simply was not usable to me, and my productivity nose-dived.

The screen size was the least of my issues with the 5S, so I don't think putting a 4.7" screen on basically the same or very similar operating system is going to get as many especially Android or Blackberry 10 users to switch over as some people seem to think it will. Maybe it will hurt Windows Phone, though, which seems to have similar disadvantages as iOS but with a less mature App Store. The actual user experience was nice for about 4 days and once I tried to go back to doing what I normally would do on my device it simply wasn't measuring up.

Also don't notice any performance difference between the two devices.

I'm not going to keep this phone for 2 years either. After a year I will pay off the remaining of the phone price and get a new one on Edge, and then sell the Note III for more than half price and still come out with a profit (or gift it to a relative or something, whatever). I've never used any phone for a year. Between 2010 and 2014 I think I've been through 11 smartphones.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

iPad is at least $500 on top of at least $650 for an iPhone.

Or you can pay $700 for a Galaxy Note III and only carry one device around which isn't too big or too tiny.

I also don't see the point in using two devices that run the same operating system since neither will really allow you to do anything the other is incapable of (granted, there are OBVIOUS advantages to doing so as well).

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Love my note 2, the 3 is pretty sick too! Either going Note 4, GS5 or iP6 this fall - contract is up in November so we'll see how it shakes out for me. Right now, I love the big screen, NFC (Isis) and can't imagine giving up my 3rd party keyboard Swype.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
It is interesting and insightful to hear of the different experiences that different users have with the various devices available. Even in my own circle of friends, I have had several who moved to android years ago because they were able to be more productive using android as their primary operating system, for various reasons. And it is great that the choice is out there.

As for me, I have spent considerable time with the S3, S4, Note 2 and Note 3. Basically because I enjoy tech. And in every instance, I could not wait to return those devices for my iphone. I tend to think a lot of it has to do with familiarity of the system and and the ins and outs of what you can do, and how you do it. Because time after time, thought not always, I am able to produce faster results than my android counterparts. Sure, on the surface there are many things that are set up 'easier' or 'better' on android. But I seldom find where I cannot do the very same thing on ios, just differently. Familiarity. Once you get the methods down, your speed and effectiveness increases exponentially.

So whenever I hear others say they move to android because it allows them to be more productive, I question it a bit. While I don't doubt that they are more productive using android, I do doubt that the reason is soley because of android and what it allows.

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My main "command center" is my Mac and of course all of my iOS devices just flow with it. Everything is just easier and I don't have to put much thought into having all of my devices sync information.
I'm sure a Note 3 is a great device but I need to keep that flow steady.
For me putting a Android device in the mix would interrupt the flow.
I appreciate the size of the current iPhone just slip it in my pocket. But the Note 3 I don't see doing that.

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
My main "command center" is my Mac and of course all of my iOS devices just flow with it. Everything is just easier and I don't have to put much thought into having all of my devices sync information.
I'm sure a Note 3 is a great device but I need to keep that flow steady.
For me putting a Android device in the mix would interrupt the flow.
I appreciate the size of the current iPhone just slip it in my pocket. But the Note 3 I don't see doing that.

I left iPhone for TWO DAYS using the Note 3. Came back to the 5s cuz it just works so much better. Different strokes for different folks. I'm really wanting an iPad. Best Buy has the airs $100 off. I'm still contemplating.

Tapped out on my GOLD 5S

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I left iPhone for TWO DAYS using the Note 3. Came back to the 5s cuz it just works so much better. Different strokes for different folks. I'm really wanting an iPad. Best Buy has the airs $100 off. I'm still contemplating.

Tapped out on my GOLD 5S

Didn't think you would come back that fast. What was it about the Note 3 that didn't work well for you?

WildCatStud333

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Didn't think you would come back that fast. What was it about the Note 3 that didn't work well for you?

Lag
Wifi issues
Camera (processing)
Organization
Touch wiz
Not as smooth
No iMessage or FaceTime
Uses to much data
Call quality

Tapped out on my GOLD 5S

Trending Posts

Members online