My Touch ID settings are missing

krislyn87348196

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I made a backup for my new iPhone 5s at first with iTunes and after that I did not have Touch ID in settings anymore. So I restore factory settings and made backup with iCloud. But again, no Fingerprint, just Passcode Lock. I reset my phone again and wanted to do all settings my manually but still no Touch ID in menu. Old phone was iPhone 4s. Can anyone help me? How can I restore Touch ID?

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Touch ID

It's not something that can be restored. It's apart of the phone.

Sent from my Black iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😊

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
First of all Welcome to iMore

Doing a simple backup doesn't change anything on your device

You bought a new iPhone the 5S correct?

You state you can't find Touch ID but you had it before you backed up?

Assuming your looking under Settings>General you should see Touch ID &Passcode there should be no reason it's not there

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You have to initiate or turn on the passcode lock before you have access to the Touch ID because the passcode comes on immediatly to lock the phone. Once you turn that on and set your passcode whether you choose simple or a longer or harder passcode, This should then allow you access to touch ID I am not mistaken.

Read this first as I stated and then I would reecommend reading the entire section to best understand it.

iPhone 5s: Using Touch ID

[h=2]Setting up Touch ID[/h]You can set up Touch ID in iOS Setup Assistant or by tapping Settings > General > Touch ID & Passcode > Touch ID. To configure Touch ID, you must first set up a passcode. Touch ID is designed to minimize the input of your passcode, but your passcode will be needed for additional security validation, such as enrolling new fingerprints.
Use these steps to enroll your fingerprint:

1. Ensure that the Home button and your finger are clean and dry.
  2. Hold the iPhone as you normally would when touching the Home button.
  3. Touch your finger to the Home button and hold it there until you feel a quick vibration or until you are asked to lift your finger.
If you read the bolded print It states exactly what I thought and wrote, This should do it for you.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
First of all Welcome to iMore

Doing a simple backup doesn't change anything on your device

You bought a new iPhone the 5S correct?

You state you can't find Touch ID but you had it before you backed up?

Assuming your looking under Settings>General you should see Touch ID &Passcode there should be no reason it's not there

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
Well Like I told the OP down a bit in posts that you have to set your passcode first which I included the hyperlink to from Apple on setting it up, Once you set your passcode, You will then be presented to set up Touch ID.

krislyn87348196

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I do not have anything like Touch ID in settings anymore and I have set my passcode so it is not a problem. Actually I couldn?t set up Touch ID even when I started my phone..before backup. Just said that not working and try it later. I contacted with my nearest Apple support and I have to send my phone to them. Probably it is just faulty phone and they will give me a new one. Nothing should dissapear after backups.
Thanks for all for helping me

jm54golf

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes my settings for "passcode & touch id" have reverted to simply "passcode" in the setting dialog box ...
My phone got wet and the home button did not function, eventually it has dried out and resumed working,but the touch id has not. Perhaps this is a fail-safe feature from apple?

If it resumes or I find a work around Ill post it...

I have also tried to restore both from previous and fresh restore; but nothing works...

I assume the touch id must be malfunctioning and not allowing a touch id to be entered.

jaq515

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Tbh I didn't notice the setting was missing.
The finger print sensor stopped working about 2 weeks ago (the settings were there at the time)
then last week the home button stopped completely

I'm just reading the apple diagnostic email the store sent it says missing from settings.
I googled it and this forum thread came up

Bora Bora1

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
People, people, people! Do NOT go into General. I was led down the garden path reading all those other postings that told me to go into General! It is listed right there under the previous level, Settings! LOL.

BadManners

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. The option was there the other day when I purchased the iphone5, because the Apple rep set it up for me. Then I go home and restore the iphone using the backup from my iphone4 from itunes like I was told. The following day when I accessed the phone it asked for my passcode and there was no opportunity to use my fingerprint. That's when I saw suggestions to go to Settings & General but the Touch ID option was not listed. You say there's no reason it shouldn't be there but apparently there IS a reason because a number of people are having the same problem so it isn't an isolated incident. I'll be heading to the Apple store tomorrow to get to the end of this.