Incorrect measurement of steps with the M7

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Lately my iPhone 5s had been double counting steps. This was the M7 chip itself because the problem showed up in multiple apps. Plus in one app, Argus, when using the M7 data it was wrong but when using the accelerometers and its own algorithms it would determine the right number of steps. I got the phone replaced and the replacement is doing the same thing. I know the steps are wrong because I'm doing workouts on the treadmill and know what approximately the count should be.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It may be a software issue because all the M7 does is collect motion data from the sensors the acell and gyro so the
A7 doesn't have to do it to save battery power.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, outside of a basic pedometer, EVERYTHING that measures steps is inaccurate at some point. My wife has the fit bit force, and I have the new Nike band, and both of them measure inaccurately on their own...and still do it inaccurately with the iPhone apps as well. It's based on movement, and there are so many different kinds of movement that feel similar to a step that readings are almost always wrong.

My sister uses a Galaxy S 3 and a fitbit flex, and hers is all over the map.

This is a technology that has to be polished out over time. I think we'll see precision instruments within a year, and that will be pretty cool.

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I don't expect it to be perfect. A couple of hundred steps out is okay. But when I'm walking about 6,000 on a workout and it's registering between 10,000 and 12,000 then I think there's a problem.

Ben Battle

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes, seeing the same thing here. I walked 3,333 steps this morning - counted precisely on my fingers. iPhone 5S M7 recorded 4885. Massively different. Worse than this, when I resumed walking after a break in a cafe the iPhone had added another 100 steps while I was sitting down.

I don't thing this thing is fit for purpose.

Ben

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
When I was trying to figure out the problem I even got an large elastic and made sure that it wasn't moving around in my pocket. Not that I wear pant with large loose pockets. But I wanted to eliminate it. The best reason I came up with was that when I was on the treadmill there is a constant incline that isn't handled well by the iPhone. When I'm out walking in the city the iPhone is pretty good and the inclines and declines will tend to cancel each other out so the number of steps will probably be close to correct.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods