Disappointed in iPhone 5s

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
You like all those little dots? The gold looks especially chincy to me but hardware wise the phone is decent. Bezels are better on the G2 (which I'd rather have) to me. LG must be breathing a sigh of relief right about now.

Sent from my liberated titanium 5s 32

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I think the back looks pretty good. Still not getting it though. I bet the G3 will kill this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The software may not need a processor any stronger than the 800. I wonder if we are going to start seeing a slowdown in hardware? Smartphones and tablets are already really fast and capable of so many things. Hard to imagine smartphones getting that much faster. I already believe that we have reached the optimal potential of screen resolution for smartphones. Anything more than 1080p seems to be unnecessary. I don't see smartphone screen sizes getting much larger without having an adverse effect on tablet sales. The only areas where I see there is room for improvement are in battery life and cameras.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I read the other day that WP doesn't fully utilize the snapdragon 800 in my 1520.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It's horrible man, lol...you've seen some of the annoying, redundant bickering here about smart phones? Multiply that by about a million...and add to it the fact that cars have been around so long, you have the closed minded loyalists that go back for generations...at least our situations is less than a decade old now, haha!

That's me too...lol. I rarely keep a car more than 2-3 years at most...I just get bored, but they just aren't as swappable as an iPhone is, haha.

While there are a lot of similarities in the purchase of cars and smartphones, cars, with the exception of exotics and collectables, are single purpose. One usually buys a car to drive from point a to point b, and it's the execution that is different. One for the most part doesn't buy a car to primarily sit in the car and listen to the radio.

A smartphone is different, I can see buying a phone primarily to play angry birds, with making a phone call secondary. Or buying a smartphone as an ipod++ and never making a call.

I'm glad there are choices, however, apple, imo, has the best overall execution and have a knack of imbuing their devices with useful, high tech features.. And I'm no apple fanboy. I would have gone z30 in a heartbeat if it were smaller; IOS drives me bonkers at times.

With the 5S, they have set themselves up for the future. Let's see how many phones have 64 bit and a finger print reader in the next year.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While there are a lot of similarities in the purchase of cars and smartphones, cars, with the exception of exotics and collectables, are single purpose. One usually buys a car to drive from point a to point b, and it's the execution that is different. One for the most part doesn't buy a car to primarily sit in the car and listen to the radio.

I disagree with this...I think most people go out and buy cars with more than just the basic requirements in consideration, otherwise the most popular and commonly sold models would be the bare bones variants, and that simply isn't true in the US market at least. Luxury brands are thriving, and this is because people aren't just buying basic transportation. In that, I think my analogy is much more relevant.

03_CTD

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I tend to equate my smartphone or mobile os purchases more with the purchase of vehicles in general than cars specifically.

I own a motorcycle, car and a truck. They are all modes of transportation but, each excel in certain areas depending on my needs at the time.

I view my mobile os ownership in the same manner. They are all capable "modes of transportation" if you will however, each excel in areas of that basic functionality that others do not and I adjust my usage accordingly.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'll just throw in that I'm disappointed in iOS 7 on iphone 5S and the ipads. The hardware is awesome. No complaints. But 3 crashes today (and it's a daily thing) gets to me. I really hope iOS 8 refines things. And perhaps moreso that it doesn't take Apple 6 months to fix bugs. 7.1 will be here only a few months before the ios 8 preview.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I have 2 iPads and 2 5s'. I don't get resprings or restarts on any of them and they're all rooted. I wonder if it's an app that's causing this?

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I get random crashes of various stock apps, I've only seen one reboot/respring since I've had the phone.

The imore app crashes when replying to a lot if text.

Every once in a while wifi does not start and I have to turn it on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I get random crashes of various stock apps, I've only seen one reboot/respring since I've had the phone.

Whoa. That just seems unacceptable.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

I get this as well, ironically this forum app is one of the culprits, I can attest to the wifi issue also. I have to say iOS 7 is one of the least stable releases I've seen from apple in a while.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I do not really think it's always iOS 7 that's the culprit. Honestly I've been having a few issues with my 5s. I soft bricked it just by putting on the Netflix app. Had to do a full restore with a wipe of all data.

Now I'm sure anyone who knows me, knows I jailbreak. However, my 5c has all the same exact tweaks. Since they have my email in them, they both install the same applications from the app store. I've had zero complications, no app crashes, and no apps causing soft bricks.

I'd venture to say it's small bugs with that 64 bit chips compatibility/function.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Think I may take one back and just deal with the fact that Google owns me.

Moving data around from app to app is just too much of a pain especially with no file manager. I cannot move videos in Onedrive to my camera roll for example.

This is also one of the least accurate and non responsive touch screens I have ever used. Especially near the edges. I basically have to consciously misfire to hit the buttons I want.

The video player desperately needs pinch to zoom during playback.

I like the size and speed, and the service integration but I am not enjoying the user experience at this point.

May run to verizon and get a Note 3 or G2.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

Moving data around from app to app is just too much of a pain especially with no file manager. I cannot move videos in Onedrive to my camera roll for example.

This is also one of the least accurate and non responsive touch screens I have ever used. Especially near the edges. I basically have to consciously misfire to hit the buttons I want.

I like the size and speed, and the service integration but I am not enjoying the user experience at this point.

Get the G2.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

The lack of a file manager probably is one of the biggest all-around discussions from those coming from other platforms. My prior blackberry platform had a file manager, and I really liked it. However, I am basically okay with the iphone in this regard. In spite what I posted a few posts up, I basically like the platform and have downloaded about 3 or 4 cool apps that do various things.

My biggest issue lies with iTunes and music. My blackberry just had to load music through the USB connection, not quite as simple in iTunes and I can't get the hang of it even after owning an ipad for a good length of time.

I don't have a problem with the screen, I find it extremely responsive edge to edge.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I got the Galaxy Note III.

Only had 4 days to return/switch and since I paid cash for the phone, I wasn't willing to take the risk. $750+ is a lot of money to play with, IMO.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2