Disappointed in iPhone 5s

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Starting in 1996 I've had every style of phone available. Bricks, flips, Nokia Symbians, WinMo, blackberries, blackjacks,etc...When the iPhone came out everything changed.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Starting in 1996 I've had every style of phone available. Bricks, flips, Nokia Symbians, WinMo, blackberries, blackjacks,etc...When the iPhone came out everything changed.

For sure. By far it's the most significant electronic mobile device since the cell phone itself.

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
The original prototype Android looked just like a Blackberry before the original iPhone was released. They reworked it to be touch screen only without a physical keyboard before the first Android phone was released to the public.

I read about that. The Android team pretty much scrapped the entire project and started over when the iPhone was released. There is no doubt that the basic concept of android is a copy of iOS.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
For sure. By far it's the most significant electronic mobile device since the cell phone itself.

Completely disagree and would argue the landscape of the smartphone would evolve as is with or without the iPhone,the iPhone was not the first all touch screen, wasn't the first smart phone, wasn't first to combine mp3 with phone. It did however have one really good innovation buttons that were the size of a finger to open apps.

In any case, the smartphone world would still choose the same paradigm as screens became larger and the tech to implement all touch smartphones became cheap. Prior you needed stylus. I believe the revolution happened much earlier with palm, and others. And the smartphone evolution was inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Completely disagree and would argue the landscape of the smartphone would evolve as is with or without the iPhone,the iPhone was not the first all touch screen, wasn't the first smart phone, wasn't first to combine mp3 with phone. It did however have one really good innovation buttons that were the size of a finger to open apps.

In any case, the smartphone world would still choose the same paradigm as screens became larger and the tech to implement all touch smartphones became cheap. Prior you needed stylus. I believe the revolution happened much earlier with palm, and others. And the smartphone evolution was inevitable.

He said the most significant. He didn't give it full credit to it for the smartphone evolution.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

The thing is that one can't make a cell phone mobile device assessment as if there never was a iPhone.
We can't say where it would have gone because the reality is that the iPhone influenced every single smartphone on the market today.
This is a cold hard fact.
I'm not even going to go as far as saying it's the best phone because that's based on what the individual desires in a mobile phone.

It's not about being the first touchscreen device or the first smartphone. It's about taking these technologies and making them more functional that ever before. That is innovation.
Influence and innovation is what the original iPhone is all about and continues to be about.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
The thing is that one can't make a cell phone mobile device assessment as if there never was a iPhone.
We can't say where it would have gone because the reality is that the iPhone influenced every single smartphone on the market today.
This is a cold hard fact.
I'm not even going to go as far as saying it's the best phone because that's based on what the individual desires in a mobile phone.

It's not about being the first touchscreen device or the first smartphone. It's about taking these technologies and making them more functional that ever before. That is innovation.
Influence and innovation is what the original iPhone is all about and continues to be about.

What specifically? I think the biggest influence was the button finger paradigm . What do you think was the biggest influence??? Touch screen was happening regardless . I think the app ecosystem and it's importance also was greatly influenced by Apple. I don't think this transition wpuld have hapoened as quickly without iphone.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What specifically? I think the biggest influence was the button finger paradigm . What do you think was the biggest influence??? Touch screen was happening regardless . I think the app ecosystem and it's importance also was greatly influenced by Apple. I don't think this transition wpuld have hapoened as quickly without iphone.

You say that things like touchscreen were going to happen regardless but the reality is that there was and is a iPhone no other reality scenario exists.

Touchscreen had already happened way before the iPhone of course

It's Apple implementation of the touchscreen specifically multi touch.
That's the influence in mobile devices.
Apples implementation of mobile email that has been a influence.
Apples implementation of wifi in a mobile device that's been a influence.
Apples implementation of the virtual keyboard that's been a influence.
A virtual keyboard they said no one would ever like.
Apples implementation of the design fit and form of mobile devices that's been a influence on the current mobile phone landscape.
It's not Apples invention it's their implementation.

Last edited:

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
You say that things like touchscreen were going to happen regardless but the reality is that there was and is a iPhone no other reality scenario exits.

Touchscreen had already happened way before the iPhone of course

It's Apple implementation of the touchscreen specifically multi touch.
That's the influence in mobile devices.
Apples implementation of mobile email that has been a influence.
Apples implementation of wifi in a mobile device that's been a influence.
Apples implementation of the virtual keyboard that's been a influence.
A virtual keyboard they said no one would ever like.
Apples implementation of the design fit and form of mobile devices that's been a influence on the current mobile phone landscape.
It's not Apples invention it's their implementation.

Multi-touch also existed before Apple? Gestures for example pinch to zoom is not an Apple invention. In fact, they lost specifically on this point in the samsung fight. Having the claim thrown out.

Mobile email, blackberry owns that space period, still there isn't a better integration and they certainly have the best implementation and that's been true before and after the iphone.
All mobile devices had wifi, I'm confused?
I'll give them virtual keyboard was better than most, but again not an invention of Apple and existed prior
They have some amazing designs, but I still fail to see where the market would be any different without Apple on this point?? Lighter, bigger, thinner was the norm... Remember the Motorola razr?

Apple has great implementation with that said, aside from the buttons finger paradigm and the ecosystem of app centric mobile experience, I don't see a trend that wouldn't have been adopted regardless. And in both cases I say Apple changed the game is the accelerated the adoption, ie buttons were huge and so are apps.

The web browser on iphone was sweet, this to me was game changer as well.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Multi-touch also existed before Apple? Gestures for example pinch to zoom is not an Apple invention. In fact, they lost specifically on this point in the samsung fight. Having the claim thrown out.

Mobile email, blackberry owns that space period, still there isn't a better integration and they certainly have the best implementation and that's been true before and after the iphone.
All mobile devices had wifi, I'm confused?
I'll give them virtual keyboard was better than most, but again not an invention of Apple and existed prior
They have some amazing designs, but I still fail to see where the market would be any different without Apple on this point?? Lighter, bigger, thinner was the norm... Remember the Motorola razr?

Apple has great implementation with that said, aside from the buttons finger paradigm and the ecosystem of app centric mobile experience, I don't see a trend that wouldn't have been adopted regardless. And in both cases I say Apple changed the game is the accelerated the adoption, ie buttons were huge and so are apps.

The web browser on iphone was sweet, this to me was game changer as well.

Multi Touch I never said Apple invented it. I said there implementation of it was a influence on mobile phones.

Mobile email again Apples implementation was influential not their invention.

Blackberry was not in hands of every person it was exclusive so was real email. Apples implementation was simple like people were used to on their Mac. BB,they tried to change their implementation Why? Because of iPhone. iPhone influenced BB to change their tune.

Apple brought the desktop computer experience to a mobile device. The simplicity the ease of use and the attractiveness of the software the look of the home screen was attractive. Yet another influence.

Not all mobile devices had wifi and certainly not all cell phones had wifi and iPhone was not the first. My Motorola Razr didn't have wifi.

The Razors design was riff on what they did for years a flip phone. iPhone was a riff on a computer specifically a Mac.
Most every smart phone is a riff if not a iPhone but a riff on the computer desktop experience.

Look at Windows Phone they want to give you the same experience on all their devices. Why?..... iPhone the Apple ecosystem. Apple influenced them in the mobile landscape.

Apple changed the entire game. They put a computer in your pocket and now so does everyone else. That's very influential.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Multi Touch I never said Apple invented it. I said there implementation of it was a influence on mobile phones.

Mobile email again Apples implementation was influential not their invention.

Blackberry was not in hands of every person it was exclusive so was real email. Apples implementation was simple like people were used to on their Mac. BB,they tried to change their implementation Why? Because of iPhone. iPhone influenced BB to change their tune.

Apple brought the desktop computer experience to a mobile device. The simplicity the ease of use and the attractiveness of the software the look of the home screen was attractive. Yet another influence.

Not all mobile devices had wifi and certainly not all cell phones had wifi and iPhone was not the first. My Motorola Razr didn't have wifi.

The Razors design was riff on what they did for years a flip phone. iPhone was a riff on a computer specifically a Mac.
Most every smart phone is a riff if not a iPhone but a riff on the computer desktop experience.

Look at Windows Phone they want to give you the same experience on all their devices. Why?..... iPhone the Apple ecosystem. Apple influenced them in the mobile landscape.

Apple changed the entire game. They put a computer in your pocket and now so does everyone else. That's very influential.

Blackberry wasn't exclusive, got a while there they were #1 in the smartphone space, people forget this? Much larger than iPhones placing, mobile email hands down is blackberry bread and butter, and they still gave quite a large margin terms of actual features in this space. Remember the first iphone was 600 and that was on contract.

Apple brought its desktop experience to mobile OS, is one wrong, that's not what they did at all, and it's been overtime you seem some convergence but not in the way you are describing, it's rather an integration where by your mobile device compliments your desktop, the initial phone isn't remotely close to the form and function you see now, and the reason why it's happened has far more to do with capabilities of hardware to be low power consumption and far more powerful.

My point about the razr was its form, thin and large screen, again small lcds becoming cheaper . Which is the trend you see in phones today.thin , large screen this is natural progression.

Windows convergence started well before iphone with their tablets early in the 2000s. And Mac OS and iOS are entirely different beast, what Apple recognized is in fact they could not simply move Mac OS to the mobile space, and better to build a new OS, that recognizes one glaring point, your finger isn't precise like a mouse. The mistake MS made was they tried to shoehorn windows into the mobile space. I think this was apples actual genius, they didn't try to bring the desktop to mobile device, because you can not interact or don't at all interface with your desktop the way you do your mobile device.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Crap! I went through all the trouble of having to drive all the way out to an Apple store to buy the phone, now I've gotta go back. Darn hairline fracture looking deal under the screen. Never dropped or even rough handled it. =\

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Apple didn't invent touchscreen tech. They invented the touchscreen "slab" form factor. Now, perhaps they just got to it first and if there was no iPhone at all android and all of his devices would be exactly where they are today.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE

They didn't invent touchscreen slab either. Dude I really suggest you do some research on the mobile space, it's like saying IBM invented the laptop because thinkpads became popular?

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
They didn't invent touchscreen slab either. Dude I really suggest you do some research on the mobile space, it's like saying IBM invented the laptop because thinkpads became popular?

Who had a touchscreen slab smartphone before the iPhone? I may be wrong, if so, it's okay, really.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what technology preceded the original iPhone. There was glass, electricity, batteries and buttons before the original iPhone but that doesn't take away from how innovative the device was. Apple put together the total package. Hardware, os and ecosystem. I'm not even a fanboy and I agree that the iPhone was the most important cell phone invention since the actual cell phone itself.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what technology preceded the original iPhone. There was glass, electricity, batteries and buttons before the original iPhone but that doesn't take away from how innovative the device was. Apple put together the total package. Hardware, os and ecosystem. I'm not even a fanboy and I agree that the iPhone was the most important cell phone invention since the actual cell phone itself.

Many would agree (my selfie included) but many would not. There's a whole slew of Android Central members that would likely say the iPhone is nearly irrelevant and the state of mobile phones has just followed an evolutionary course.

Sent from my liberated iridium rMini LTE