Disappointed in iPhone 5s

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why the iPads don't have Touch ID...are they not expensive enough? Is there not room in the chassis? What's the excuse?

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

bit off topic but surely just a matter of time, the recent iPad generation couldn't implement it due to a shortage of TouchID sensors I understand. Makes sense if you look at how they struggled to catch up with the 5S demand. I guess if they had decided to build it into the iPad Air some 5S customers would still be waiting for their device. This year it's iPad's turn.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why the iPads don't have Touch ID...are they not expensive enough? Is there not room in the chassis? What's the excuse?

I really couldn't understand why they didn't either. I thought for certain that at least one of the new iPad's released last year would have received the tech, but alas, they came out with nothing. The only reasonable excuse I read online was that they were running short of supply on them at the time, and were trying to meet 5S pre-orders still (hard to believe but at least sounded some what legitimate).

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
bit off topic but surely just a matter of time, the recent iPad generation couldn't implement it due to a shortage of TouchID sensors I understand. Makes sense if you look at how they struggled to catch up with the 5S demand. I guess if they had decided to build it into the iPad Air some 5S customers would still be waiting for their device. This year it's iPad's turn.

I really couldn't understand why they didn't either. I thought for certain that at least one of the new iPad's released last year would have received the tech, but alas, they came out with nothing. The only reasonable excuse I read online was that they were running short of supply on them at the time, and were trying to meet 5S pre-orders still (hard to believe but at least sounded some what legitimate).

Yeah, I guess that's plausible. Well, too bad for me but I love my rMini and Air otherwise, I really do. So, perhaps in 18 months when I'm due for my NEXT upgrades all that sliqness and more will be in place.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site

Sean , Apple is notorious for holding onto features to release later in order to build buzz. Example, the mini could have released with retina. Siri could run on and did on the 4. Apple is great at this type of marketing, LTE, sure everyone is offering but we will wait, not because we can't offer but we will save for the next upgrade.

If you haven't realized this pattern by now, you are definitely quite gullible

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sean , Apple is notorious for holding onto features to release later in order to build buzz. Example, the mini could have released with retina. Siri could run on and did on the 4. Apple is great at this type of marketing, LTE, sure everyone is offering but we will wait, not because we can't offer but we will save for the next upgrade.

lol...so a person is gullible if they don't believe in your conspiracy theory? Give me a break.

Do I see some of the patterns? Sure! But these moves aren't always a way to make more money down the road with marketing ploys...and there is never a point where they release a device with that single function as THE updated feature, it's always surrounded by plenty of other things that truly represent the "refresh" or "remodel" status.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Even if that's true that Apple holds on to features. That's just business nothing wrong with it.
"I want you to buy my new product and it's going to have something the old one doesn't. It's not personal just business"

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I never said there was anything wrong with it, I just said you know why the minis and air didn't have the scanner.

Also, samsung does the complete their philosophy is to get the latest and greatest in the hands of its supporters as soon as possible. Additionally, they try and design new features rapidly, if there isn't anything must have that they aren't implementing. For example the non touch tech.

I personally dislike apples mode of business in this way. But no one says they can't do it. I still remember the MMS fiasco, there was no good reason the original iphone shouldn't have had it, yes, MMS was new then but literally every phone on the planet had it. Apple baited and waited on a virtually ubiquitous feature in the mobile industry.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel like Apple is working both sides. Sometimes they may hold out on a feature for future profit but sometimes it may be to perfect that feature before they release it to the public. With that being said, a company is just that and their prime reason for existing is profit. That whole Samsung is better than Apple because they want their customers to have the best is a crock. Its all about profits. If they could figure out how to sell a bunch of phones & hold out on all the gimmicky features, best believe they would. I wish people would get it through their heads that big business doesn't succeed on the sheer fact that they look out for customers.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I feel like Apple is working both sides. Sometimes they may hold out on a feature for future profit but sometimes it may be to perfect that feature before they release it to the public. With that being said, a company is just that and their prime reason for existing is profit. That whole Samsung is better than Apple because they want their customers to have the best is a crock. Its all about profits. If they could figure out how to sell a bunch of phones & hold out on all the gimmicky features, best believe they would. I wish people would get it through their heads that big business doesn't succeed on the sheer fact that they look out for customers.

Samsung is taking a different approach in that they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink into a product without any deep thought (certainly not at the level of Apple) into how the individual pieces would affect the overall package.

Apple on the other hand isn't taking the easy route but finding a good balance between the features and the economy of the features. That is admirable.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung is taking a different approach in that they are throwing everything and the kitchen sink into a product without any deep thought (certainly not at the level of Apple) into how the individual pieces would affect the overall package.

Apple on the other hand isn't taking the easy route but finding a good balance between the features and the economy of the features. That is admirable.

I agree, its admirable but it still proves my point. Apple does what they know will sell Apple products (quality) and Samsung does what they know will sell Samsung products (features/gimmicks).

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
LTE, NFC, MMS were gimmicks. Retina was a gimmick. Come on now, stop the blind lust. These are features they added well after the industry, and none of them were gimmicks, they are ubiquitous .

Just admit apple holds onto features everyone else has to create buzz and desire .

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I never said there was anything wrong with it, I just said you know why the minis and air didn't have the scanner.

Also, samsung does the complete their philosophy is to get the latest and greatest in the hands of its supporters as soon as possible. Additionally, they try and design new features rapidly, if there isn't anything must have that they aren't implementing. For example the non touch tech.

I personally dislike apples mode of business in this way. But no one says they can't do it. I still remember the MMS fiasco, there was no good reason the original iphone shouldn't have had it, yes, MMS was new then but literally every phone on the planet had it. Apple baited and waited on a virtually ubiquitous feature in the mobile industry.

Apple isn't in the business of pushing things out if they feel it's not ready. The LTE iPhone came out at the right time. You know how many crappy LTE radios were being used on other phones of different manufacturers? They weren't going to push that out on the 4S if it wasn't ready for prime time. Same goes for the iPad mini. It didn't get retina on the first gen because it would have thickened the thing if they wanted to keep good battery life. So, they sacrificed retina. Now that they had better LCD tech a year later, they were able to keep it thin and light without sacrificing battery.

Look at how they pushed out the 3rd gen iPad with retina. It could be deemed a lemon because of the insane heating issues, especially for gamers. That's an example of where Apple screws up when they push something out too fast when it isn't 100% ready. Which is why they won't make a bigger screen on the iPhone this year if it isn't ready.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Apple isn't in the business of pushing things out if they feel it's not ready. The LTE iPhone came out at the right time. You know how many crappy LTE radios were being used on other phones of different manufacturers? They weren't going to push that out on the 4S if it wasn't ready for prime time. Same goes for the iPad mini. It didn't get retina on the first gen because it would have thickened the thing if they wanted to keep good battery life. So, they sacrificed retina. Now that they had better LCD tech a year later, they were able to keep it thin and light without sacrificing battery.

Look at how they pushed out the 3rd gen iPad with retina. It could be deemed a lemon because of the insane heating issues, especially for gamers. That's an example of where Apple screws up when they push something out too fast when it isn't 100% ready. Which is why they won't make a bigger screen on the iPhone this year if it isn't ready.

Mms and lTe weren't ready? Huh? How was mms not ready?

A bigger screen wasn't ready? Ps, apple stated that they missed the boat on not having larger screen devices.

Finally, how is the scanner which they already carry in one device not ready.

Just stop, seriously, it's nothing more than marketing and economic business decision and it works. It's like the girl who holds out and the lame axx dude who waits and thinks her honey is better because she did so. Let's be real, here.

I mean how in the f was MMs a universal standard that every phone not ready, especially in that app makers supplied you with mms readers because the phone didn't do it natively.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Mms and lTe weren't ready? Huh? How was mms not ready?

A bigger screen wasn't ready? Ps, apple stated that they missed the boat on not having larger screen devices.

Finally, how is the scanner which they already carry in one device not ready.

Just stop, seriously, it's nothing more than marketing and economic business decision and it works. It's like the girl who holds out and the lame axx dude who waits and thinks her honey is better because she did so. Let's be real, here.

I mean how in the f was MMs a universal standard that every phone not ready, especially in that app makers supplied you with mms readers because the phone didn't do it natively.

I didn't mention MMS because that was just Apple saying okay, stfu and just have your scaled down media messages through your carriers if you want it that bad instead of just sending high quality through email (at the time) through your UNLIMITED DATA. In that sense, people were just blind.

When did Apple state they missed the boat on a larger screen? They've acknowledged they won't make a larger screen if it's not ready. Think of my 3rd gen iPad analogy.

As far as LTE goes, read what I specifically was talking about when I mentioned LTE. They weren't going to just throw a crappy LTE radio because enthusiasts wanted LTE already. The LTE radio on, you guessed it, the 3rd gen iPad is terrible.

I agree about touch ID. Maybe they don't have enough they can produce. I don't know. I do believe they've held that back to save it as a feature for the next gens.

RobertAdams313

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

Might be in the future but right now they probably think it would be a waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't mention MMS because that was just Apple saying okay, stfu and just have your scaled down media messages through your carriers if you want it that bad instead of just sending high quality through email (at the time) through your UNLIMITED DATA. In that sense, people were just blind.

When did Apple state they missed the boat on a larger screen? They've acknowledged they won't make a larger screen if it's not ready. Think of my 3rd gen iPad analogy.

As far as LTE goes, read what I specifically was talking about when I mentioned LTE. They weren't going to just throw a crappy LTE radio because enthusiasts wanted LTE already. The LTE radio on, you guessed it, the 3rd gen iPad is terrible.

I agree about touch ID. Maybe they don't have enough they can produce. I don't know. I do believe they've held that back to save it as a feature for the next gens.

I think you just hit an important point that could be exactly what is happening, that Apple don't really have the volume to produce touchid for the iPads. That's the most logical point I have heard so far.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I think you just hit an important point that could be exactly what is happening, that Apple don't really have the volume to produce touchid for the iPads. That's the most logical point I have heard so far.

That's interesting. I'd think Apple sells a lot more iPhone 5s' than iPads and each one has a Touch ID sensor...but back on the Fall perhaps they didn't have enough supply for both the iPhone and both iPads.

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

aue123

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Motorola has top tier LTE radios, always have since the Droid Razr to the Droid Maxx.. Send a MMS while talking on the Phone at the same exact time? iPhone still cant do that.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Motorola has top tier LTE radios, always have since the Droid Razr to the Droid Maxx.. Send a MMS while talking on the Phone at the same exact time? iPhone still cant do that.

That inability never leaves my mind. I lay awake at night thinking about it. No really. If I could just send an MMS while talking on the phone I'd be complete. Perhaps I'll leave iOS so I can send MMS' while chatting. Ummm. Na.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2