Are there any good wireless charging solutions for the iPhone?

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Are there any good wireless charging solutions for the iPhone? I really like the idea of just throwing my phone on a charger and not having to mess with any wires. I don't want anything too bulky and there's a couple of Qi chargers with cases or something you put under the case but I'm still very unsure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
There's no OEM drop charger for the iPhone line but aftermarket kits are out there but I never used one

That said I agree having something similar to a Palm TouchStone drop charger would be awesome that was a great accessory

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I still don't understand why a person would prefer a method of charging that prevents usage of the device vs. having it plugged into a USB where it is both charging and can be used.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why a person would prefer a method of charging that prevents usage of the device vs. having it plugged into a USB where it is both charging and can be used.

That's a good point but in the manner that Palm had there TouchStone it was designed for use it was angled and you had full use of your device while it sat on the charger. It was a great piece of engineering magnetly aligned the second generation TS that was never released had Bluetooth speakers that auto played your music when you dropped it on

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I want it for when I go to bed. I put my phone on my night stand and use my iPad in bed. I found a couple but they eliminate the ability to plug a charger in completely. I agree that using your phone while it is charging would be nice but if you're on it so much that you have to charge it during the day and use it while it charges maybe you should take a look at your usage and slow down a bit.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I want it for when I go to bed. I put my phone on my night stand and use my iPad in bed. I found a couple but they eliminate the ability to plug a charger in completely. I agree that using your phone while it is charging would be nice but if you're on it so much that you have to charge it during the day and use it while it charges maybe you should take a look at your usage and slow down a bit.

Slow down a bit? lol...I use my phone as a hot spot all day..charging the device while it's tethered is just a perk of using the USB charging function. I can also respond to non-iMessage texts without stopping the charge at all, and use the apps to my hearts content...all while still charging the device to full capacity.

It's nothing to slow down about...it's called useful multitasking. Also, docks are perfect for nightstands. Mine sits on a nice dock at night when I sleep and charges without me having to move anything.

I mean if you like wireless charging stuff that's all good...I just never saw a point.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Just an opinion. No need to be defensive. Keep the thread moving. As I said I have been unable to find a solution to this that also let's me charge my phone through a cord. Here's to hoping they implement it in the next iteration.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Just an opinion. No need to be defensive. Keep the thread moving. As I said I have been unable to find a solution to this that also let's me charge my phone through a cord. Here's to hoping they implement it in the next iteration.

I was also offering an opinion...I mean I never told you to "slow down" or anything. I was simply reflecting how silly that sounded.

I hope they implement more functional features than that in the next iteration myself.

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
It would for sure be something they would make more mainstream like they do with most everything they do. I wouldn't doubt it if they do it and every place you go to has a charger built into something. There are a few of them that go through tables! That would be cool at like a bar or something where people hang out for awhile or at offices.

mulasien

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm still not convinced that wireless charging is a must have item other than a cool gimmick. Cool, yes, but still a gimmick. I rank this up there with NFC and the ability to make custom icon packs as features that hardcore Android fanboys point to as reasons their platform is better, when in actuality their usefulness is quite minor to non-existant.

I don't buy the 'it's more convenient/less restrictive' angle at all. With a wireless charger, you still have to sit it on the charger to charge. How is this more convenient then:

1. Plug in the cable,
2. ...there is no step 2.

Wow, that's so inconvenient and a serious chore! (that's sarcasm, btw). Plus, I can manipulate the phone all I want, turning it to whatever angle I so desire while plugged in. Can't do that with a wireless charger. Having a preset angle (that you can't mess with) to view the phone while it's wireless charging is still an inferior option.

Second, how much does a wireless charger cost vs. a USB charging cable? I have a charging cable at home, a second one at home for my iPad downstairs, and one at work. Oh, also one for my car. I bet all 4 of those charging cables combined still cost less than a single wireless charger that is far less portable. Plus, I pretty much have a charging source anywhere I am. Not to mention that they are all much more portable.

Third, how long does wireless charging take vs. cable charging? My iPhone 5 charges pretty dang fast on the charging cable. I highly doubt that wireless charges as fast.

So to recap: wireless charging is 1. actually less convenient outside of the coolness factor 2. more expensive and 3. takes longer to charge

Why should I care about wireless charging, again?

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
How do you deal with charging the iPhone in another location, such as work? Do you have to buy two chargers vs carrying around one cable?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice