Is my 5S Dead?

SJ84

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday my 5S was taking multiple clicks of the power button before it would turn on and now today it won't turn on at all. Is there anything I can do that might fix it or is it toast? Unfortunately the nearest Apple Store is 2.5 hours away so I can't just take it there.

Thanks!

SJ84

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I know it's charged as it was working fine when I took it off the charger this morning. Shortly after that is when it wouldn't respond. Also nothing happens if I plug it in.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I know it's charged as it was working fine when I took it off the charger this morning. Shortly after that is when it wouldn't respond. Also nothing happens if I plug it in.

Ok you see that its charged and holding a charge correct?

If it's on and charged you should be able to wake it up using the Home Button

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

SJ84

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Ok you see that its charged and holding a charge correct?

If it's on and charged you should be able to wake it up using the Home Button

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Home Button does nothing as well. I tried plugging it into the computer with no response and I also held down the power button as If I were turning it on and nothing happened.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Thank goodness for Applecare and carrier insurance. The button's mechanical so its not an IF, its a WHEN will it break. :-(

Sent from my iridium iPad Air LTE 

SJ84

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
If my phone needs to be replaced will they try to give me a refurb? Having paid for a new one I wouldn't be too happy about that.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
If my phone needs to be replaced will they try to give me a refurb? Having paid for a new one I wouldn't be too happy about that.

It depends on who the insurance is done through. Asurion issued me a brand new G2 when my phone was lost. ...but I've heard of others receiving refurbs. TBH, as long as the phone looks and behaves like brand spanking new, I'd not sweat it, but if there's so much as a hairline scratch on it that'd not be acceptable to me.

SJ84

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Well I just held down the power and home buttons and it came back to life. Not too sure what's up with this thing.

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Well I just held down the power and home buttons and it came back to life. Not too sure what's up with this thing.

iOS 7.0.x is likely what's up with it. Hopefully, 7.1 will provide the kind of stability we'd come to take for granted before iOS 7.

SJ84

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
iOS 7.0.x is likely what's up with it. Hopefully, 7.1 will provide the kind of stability we'd come to take for granted before iOS 7.

Yeah that would be nice. I've been a Mac user for nearly a decade, but this is my first iPhone and while I like it a lot, these little hiccups are pretty annoying. Thanks for the help everyone!