Charging iPhone 5s

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You can charge it at any level that suits you needs

But I read that completely draining the battery at least once a week and then fully charging it keeps it fresh

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If your the original owner the battery will last the usefulness of the device even in extreme cases my mom has an old 3G with the original battery yes it's close to the end of its life but still holds a two hour charge

t3ddie

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't do it once a week but at least once in a month and for the other time I mostly charge it when I have about 20% left

You can charge it at any level that suits you needs

But I read that completely draining the battery at least once a week and then fully charging it keeps it fresh

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I always put my iPhone on the charger at the end of the day regardless of the percentage. I like starting my day with a full charge.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I usually charge mine at night when I go to bed. Rarely do I need to charge it throughout the day. Still, every now and then, I will deplete it completely or to about 2 to 5% and then shut the phone off and let it charge to capacity. Anyway, to answer your question, whatever percent you think is necessary for you to charge it based on your usage habits....:)

Last edited:

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Once a month I drain it down to 2%.
I charge every night regardless of the level.
I'm on a charger whenever it's available, especially in the car.
Good Luck

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I always put my iPhone on charge when I go to bed every night no matter how much battery is left. But I left my phone drain to at least 1% or until it shuts off once a month.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I charge every night. Rarely need to charge throughout the day. I am usually between 20-45% when i plug in at night. Usually lower on weekends.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Whenever it's needed and convenient. Most of the time I charge it in the evening when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

timswork

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Goodness, aren't we past the complete battery drain days? I thought completely draining the newer Li-On batteries was totally unnecessary anymore, and harmful at worst.

From PC World:

"The tricks for maximizing your lithium-ion battery's useful lifespan—that is, the number of times you can recharge it before it no longer accepts a charge—are pretty basic. Three things will prematurely age a lithium-ion battery: consistently draining it to the automatic shutdown point, exposing it to heat, and overcharging/overvoltage-charging. That last practice is actually dangerous and can lead to fire or even an explosion."

And check out this Battery University article for further indepth analysis.
They think the sweet spot is to drain to 40% and then recharge.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Goodness, aren't we past the complete battery drain days? I thought completely draining the newer Li-On batteries was totally unnecessary anymore, and harmful at worst.

From PC World:

"The tricks for maximizing your lithium-ion battery's useful lifespan—that is, the number of times you can recharge it before it no longer accepts a charge—are pretty basic. Three things will prematurely age a lithium-ion battery: consistently draining it to the automatic shutdown point, exposing it to heat, and overcharging/overvoltage-charging. That last practice is actually dangerous and can lead to fire or even an explosion."

And check out this Battery University article for further indepth analysis.
They think the sweet spot is to drain to 40% and then recharge.

My OCD won't allow me to charge it if its not below at least 7%...has nothing to do with complete draining LOL

iknrisms

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much charge all the time. If there's a charger around, I'm probably on it (even if it's already at 100% :p) and especially in the car. But like others, I fully deplete it once a month and/or to about 1-3%

Sent from my Space Gray iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2