The A7 processor revisited

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
It's almost been 4 months since the 5S has come out and during that time developers have had time to update apps for the A7 processor with 64-bit support. Some people have said that 64-bit is just a marketing gimmick and others have said that it's a breakthrough. So after using the 5S what do you think, was 64-bit in the A7 a breakthrough or was it just a gimmick?

For those that want to read more on ARMv8:
http://www.arm.com/files/downloads/ARMv8_white_paper_v5.pdf

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

RobertAdams313

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
It's almost been 4 months since the 5S has come out and during that time developers have had time to update apps for the A7 processor with 64-bit support. Some people have said that 64-bit is just a marketing gimmick and others have said that it's a breakthrough. So after using the 5S what do you think, was 64-bit in the A7 a breakthrough or was it just a gimmick?

For those that want to read more on ARMv8:
http://www.arm.com/files/downloads/ARMv8_white_paper_v5.pdf

Sent from my 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

As a regular user not knowing about all the internals and the difference, the phone seems faster and snappier but I'm coming from a 4S with ios 6 on it so we will see if this phone will still be as quick in future updates. I don't play games on the phone so I can't comment on graphics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand how a person (not saying you do, just speaking generally) could consider this chip set a "gimmick". It's proven, in almost all facets, to be better than the predecessor A6, and it's also been PROVEN (both in real world usage and on useless paper specs) to be a top tier offering on the market compared to other smart phones. I mean when you garner the attention of the competition in a way that makes the "sweat" as they put it, that says something...

In the end though, who really cares what these guys in clean rooms think about the chip set...I don't. You know what I care about? My user experience with the iPhone 5S...and what has that been? Flawless. A slew of new features and faster performance. I'd say that whatever it's doing, it's doing it well enough to keep me happy, and that is literally all I care about in the end.

Brady KEITH

Banned
Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
i mostly agree with the aforementioned...but my experience hasn't been flawless. regardless, i'd recommend the 5S to anyone (along with the Moto X) because of the speed and UX.

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I feel like it could be used more. Like I know the A7 chip and the M7 chip work together to save battery and activate motion and wifi sleeping, etc. so it's hard to say..

Sent from my Black iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 😊

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think 5 months is a long time for app development for the A7.
It possible devs are working on new ways to take advantage of the A7.
Apple in my opinion has always been forward thinking in technology.

Since we recently had the 7 year anniversary of the iPhone announcement. Remember some thought that the iPhone itself was a gimmick. "Who wants a phone without a physical keyboard" some said. And the many other things that were said but here we are 7 years later and no physical keyboard is the standard along with a touch interface.
There were things on the Mac side that Apple did some years ago that took Mac App devs a while to take advantage of like Core Audio.
It may take iOS devs some time with A7 and 64 bit. I'm sure Apple is working on ways that iOS takes more advantage of the A7.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73