Where are my saved messages?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at mine and with the 6-8 ongoing conversations i normally have going from friends so I don't delete them and leave them as I said long and ongoing I have only 153 MB as of right now.

EDIT: I might be wrong because I know I don't have any messages saved anywhere to the cloud or anywhere else so that number might be what you have ongoing like I said I did based on how many i have active now. This is an assumption on my part.

Last edited:

Grabber5.0

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Is this a new device or one that was upgraded from an older version of iOS? There was a bug with a specific version 6.0.something if I remember correctly) that would cause deleted messages to continue taking up space. I think I bookmarked it on my laptop if it would help.

Edit: I just noticed this is in the 5S forum, so I suspect it is not related to this bug.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have about 10 text convos going a few that need to be deleted. My saved messages are at 121mb

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Same thing i suspected. What I mentioned already in this thread and mine only 153 and that is with screenshots and pics and attachments people have sent in the iMessage along with the message. I can't believe there would be almost a GB so you must have an awful lot.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I restored as new, then restored using my iCloud backup. I lost nothing and all the deleted message data disappeared. This seems to be the only thing that works.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
well i have had a iPhone since the first iPhone lol so maybe all these messages kept getting carried over :/ i don't want to set my phone up as a new phone and lose everything :(

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The answer above yours he just indicated what he did and how I set my 5S up when I bought it from my local Apple store and I lost nothing. The only thing that was funny to me was that in minutes from finishing the setup and restore tethered to iTunes it was still plugged in and I received a call with a ring i never heard and though oh no did something happen? It was the new default ringtone for 5S and it was the first time I heard it. It is up to you but you are not going to lose anything.

Eli4S

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
You think that's a lot? I didn't delete my girlfriend's and my messages for 2 years... 3.5 GB of messages saved and I finally deleted them haha.

bakerbrite

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Just came across this thread and figured I'd throw this out there.

iBackupBot is the only way to get rid of your iMessage attachments, that I have discovered at least. And believe me, I initially spent hours researching.

Download for free: iBackupBot - iTunes Backup Manager for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad
(don't pay the $35, the trial allows you to do everything you need in order to removed SMS attachments)

HOW TO DELETE ALL iMESSAGE ATTACHMENTS:

1. Download iBackupBot
  2. ack up iPhone in iTunes
  3. Close iTunes
  4. Make a copy of iTunes backup in a different location (iTunes backups are located in Library > Application Support > MobileSync > Backup)
  5. Open iBackupBot
  6. Go to Most recent backup > Multimedia File Manager > Other Multimedia Files
  7. Delete files with extension "MediaDomain/Library/SMS" - you may want to export them first if you want them
  8. Go to System Files > MediaDomain > Library > SMS > Attachments
  9. Delete all folders that are not "0" in size.
    IMPORTANT: DO NOT delete the folders that are sized at "0". These folders must remain in "attachments" for the restore to work properly.

OPTIONAL CLEANING (no reason not to)

1. Go to Most recent backup > Right Click > Clean
Following screenshot from: Clean up iphone junk files: SMS message attachments, camera roll photos and caches
Screen Shot 2014-07-15 at 2.05.14 AM.png

14. Close iBackupBot
15. Restore from Backup in iTunes

You should have a good portion of your space back. I'd suggest downloading an app to check the usage & keep your phone clean on a regular basis. I use "PhoneClean" (free) & haven't had an issue with it yet.

Hope this helps a few of you out there. Good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamadam9120