Anyone travel to South America (from the US) with their iPhone/iPad?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My MIL is about to make a pretty awesome adventure to Galapagos/Ecuador/Macchu Piccu in about a month, and I am trying to work out the best course of action for her to keep an active phone while she's there. I did some research based on her itinerary and it sounds like she's not going to have as much WIFI as we originally thought she would. I discussed this with the leader of the tour group and he said that while they will have several devices with great service there, it's not a bad idea for peace of mind to have a device that functions, in the event someone wants to do their own exploring.

We are on ATT so I know the phone will function, however...I am not sure the best plan of action for service here. I discussed the "rest of world" options so I can add a month to the plan for this trip, and know that a 15 or 40 minute calling plan is available and a small texting plan as well, and will tell her how to turn data roaming off so I am not living in a van down by the river afterwards. However, having never been to any of these locales, I am not sure what kind of signal she can expect, what really at all she can expect service wise.

Anyone have any input for me?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I heard that T-Mobile lets you use unlimited talk, text and data worldwide for no extra charge if you have the unlimited 4G plan. I'm not sure about the coverage though.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I heard that T-Mobile lets you use unlimited talk, text and data worldwide for no extra charge if you have the unlimited 4G plan. I'm not sure about the coverage though.
We're not on Tmo and won't be switching carriers, so that's irrelevant in this instance. I want some input regarding Wifi availability and GSM signal strengths.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Telestial or similar prepaid SIM purchased ahead of time may be an option. For my last trip to India, I purchased a prepaid SIM for Bharti Airtel. A few simple activation steps, and SMS worked great for communication with colleagues.

Peru SIM Card - Prepaid cell phone service for travelers

Claro looks like a big regional provider in SA. I saw Claro prepaid cards advertised via Best Buy, so it might be a matter of picking one up there.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Telestial or similar prepaid SIM purchased ahead of time may be an option. For my last trip to India, I purchased a prepaid SIM for Bharti Airtel. A few simple activation steps, and SMS worked great for communication with colleagues.

Peru SIM Card - Prepaid cell phone service for travelers

Claro looks like a big regional provider in SA. I saw Claro prepaid cards advertised via Best Buy, so it might be a matter of picking one up there.
I may ask my husband's aunt if she can handle that option if they can stop in a Best Buy in the Dallas area. I KNOW my MIL isn't going to know how to swap a SIM out of the phone and since we aren't going to be with them, it isn't as easy as I'd like this to be. If I was going, or my husband was going, this would be a nonissue, because we both know what we're doing. But his mom is new to this stuff, and has no interest in learning about it. I have no idea who along the tour will be able to help besides the group leader and I don't know how many folks are going along with them to know who can spend the time...Man I wish our holidays had been "normal" this year so I would've had the time alone with both of them to work with them on this.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I can relate. Sounds like keeping things simple is a good option then. Setting up an international plan option beforehand with the existing SIM, and then only using it when WiFi is not available may be the best path.
AT&T International Roaming and World Packages - from AT&T
This is probably what I would do for my parents.

Hope it works out. Sounds like a great trip :)
Yea I'm a little envious! They take some cool trips!

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I would look into which prepaid carriers have the best service (or seemingly, at least) where she'll be and then order the SIM card online prior to her departure so that you can install it for her. That's what I did when my dad went to Africa for the first time. I had to use Google Translator to read about the coverage and prepaid service plans because they weren't in English but it was discernible enough to get a good idea of what I was getting into. The coverage information wasn't as abundant as it is in US or UK, but it still worked out. If you can't find the information, though, then adding the plan through at&t may be the way to go, even if it is a bit pricier. However, the prepaid SIMs come pretty cheap so it might be worth snagging one either way just to make sure. I paid less than $20USD for his SIM and it had plenty of minutes (I can't remember the exact number, though, as it was several years ago) for his two week stay.

acadia11

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Claro is best,get4gplus data nothing on prepaid. They have most reliable, I spend a lot of time working in region and have tried many of prepaid sims Claros ate the best.

plantemichel

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, im in mexico actually i will comeback to canada january 13 but using it as an iPod. I made suspend my cell service on both iPhone 5S and my Wife iPhone 5 before going in mexico.😄

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

hockey1299

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes, im in mexico actually i will comeback to canada january 13 but using it as an iPod. I made suspend my cell service on both iPhone 5S and my Wife iPhone 5 before going in mexico.��

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Why would you suspend Cell Service? Incoming Text Messages are free while roaming and if you don't answer calls nothing will be charged. Having Data set to OFF you will be fine. Carriers Bill based on Usage.
Im from Canada as well.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73