Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

Default Z10 to iphone5s?

Has anyone gone from Z10 to iphone5s or vice versa? What's your experience and input on it? I'm just curious. Thanks
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Default Re: Z10 to iphone5s?

Have used a Z10 (and a Q10) and then moved to Android \ iOS now.

The advantages of the Z10 were the keyboard (IMHO, the best virtual keyboard on any platform), the Hub and BBM(now available on other platforms). I also personally liked the customizable notifications. However, I think most people will find iOS (and Android) more to their taste as the amount of the apps available on BB10 is minuscule as compared to iOS/Android. You'll also find that the iPhone 5S sports one of the best smartphone camera (along with the Nokia 1020), so I think that once you move over you will not find a reason to go back to the Z10 (unless the notifications are a deal breaker).
    Thanked by:
    Spencerdl (12-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay View Post
    Have used a Z10 (and a Q10) and then moved to Android \ iOS now.

The advantages of the Z10 were the keyboard (IMHO, the best virtual keyboard on any platform), the Hub and BBM(now available on other platforms). I also personally liked the customizable notifications. However, I think most people will find iOS (and Android) more to their taste as the amount of the apps available on BB10 is minuscule as compared to iOS/Android. You'll also find that the iPhone 5S sports one of the best smartphone camera (along with the Nokia 1020), so I think that once you move over you will not find a reason to go back to the Z10 (unless the notifications are a deal breaker).
    EXACTLY.....could not have described it better. I still have my Z10, but rarely use it
    Vostmen and zeteo like this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I currently use Z10 and ip5s.
    Z10 is the best virtual keyboard
    And ip5s the best camera and touch ID so awesome
    I need them, can't lose one of them
    Spencerdl likes this.

Global Posts
    6,359 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Welcome to iMore

I heard the Z10 is a solid device but I never had the chance to try one out

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

kill them with kindness :-)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    437 Global Posts

so you're saying it all comes down between a keyboard and a camera? It seems like a keyboard would be more important then.
    impaler likes this.

Global Posts
    4,336 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have a Z10, and to me, the Blackberry 10 is just a better phone OS for me. It's more communication centric and it shows through with the keyboard and the hub which in my opinion are better than iOS' implementations. I have an iPad mini for deeper app needs if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
    pogly2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ILUMINATIUNDEAD View Post
    so you're saying it all comes down between a keyboard and a camera? It seems like a keyboard would be more important then.
    The Z10's virtual keyboard is second to none, the best out there, but thats it. The Hub just makes it easier to see different notifications at a glance which is also awesome, however the iphone is better at everything else. I currently have both devices, but I find that my "go to device" is the Gold iphone 5s. The iphone just works
    Speedygi and pr1nce like this.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

100% what the doc said. Z10 has THE best virtual keyboard.

Global Posts
    4,336 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    The Z10's virtual keyboard is second to none, the best out there, but thats it. The Hub just makes it easier to see different notifications at a glance which is also awesome, however the iphone is better at everything else. I currently have both devices, but I find that my "go to device" is the Gold iphone 5s. The iphone just works
    It's true, iOS just has so many more apps than anything else except Android, that it becomes a joke at this point...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    3,022 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    As much as i like my iphone, the z30 would have been my next choice if slightly smaller. I dont require millions of apps. BB has much better notifications plus more options for customizations. As far as the iphone just working, yes within a margin.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,926 Global Posts

I have a Q10, so obviously the keyboard experience is better, but the iPhone is just a much better all-around device. That being said, Blackberry does have some niche features that some people can't do without. If the hub or the keyboard are absolute deal-breakers, then you'll want to get a Blackberry phone. However, if they're just "nice to haves" then the iPhone has a heck of a lot more "nice to have" features.

You've also got android in the mix, which offers more features than Apple or blackberry, but it also comes with its own trade-offs.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

I had the z10 for a while and it's really not a bad phone. I loved custom notifications, the hub, deleting mass emails easily, led light. The smoothness. But I hated the apps and the fact that you can't really run background apps. I actually disliked the keyboard but I loved it on the q10.

Welcome to the forums.
    T.
    Ambassador @ iMore

"With great power, comes great responsibility." - Uncle Ben
    Spencerdl likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    817 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by ILUMINATIUNDEAD View Post
    Has anyone gone from Z10 to iphone5s or vice versa? What's your experience and input on it? I'm just curious. Thanks
    1stly welcome to iMore and iOS , wow its so nice and very lovely thinking to changeover simplicity the best

Ashish n. d.

Happy to be Part of iMore..
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    1,226 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shief24 View Post
    I had the z10 for a while and it's really not a bad phone. I loved custom notifications, the hub, deleting mass emails easily, led light. The smoothness. But I hated the apps and the fact that you can't really run background apps. I actually disliked the keyboard but I loved it on the q10.
    The Z10 has beter resolution, sharper, screen 4,2 inch, 1,5 Ghz instead of 1,3 Ghz, better reception, 2x more Ram memory, real multitasking up to 8 apps instead of app switch tasking, better virtueel keyboard, easyly upgradeable to 80 GB for only 50 euro/dollar and the phone is cheaper and never crash,hickup in 11 months owning now a Z30 - 5 inch.

Apple has finger scanner and lot of apps but how many apps are U using and what will you use , if it's moslly social than blackberry is much quicker and better and blackberry is compatible with mac, airtunes and apple TV>
    sirk25 and sapphire54 like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    6,531 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I loved the ability to add memory to my z10...until I had to remove the sdcard so my phone didn't randomly reboot during phone calls 75 times a day.

The rest is personal opinion, although the higher ram is necessary to operate the phone. The 5 was just as fast with half the specs as the z because the OS isn't bloated.

Did like the keyboard though. However BBs legendary crappy hardware quality control issues ruined the phone for me.
    Former BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Curve 8330, Storm 1, Palm Pre, Galaxy S Vibrant, HTC Desire Z, back to Galaxy S, iPhone 4 White 16GB, BB Bold 9900 White (sold), back to iPhone 4, SGS3 Pebble Blue, SGS3 Garnet Red, BlackBerry Z10 White, 16Gb iPhone 5 White
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    381 Global Posts

I love the multitasking on the Z10. It was so easy to move to another app.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whatsever View Post
    The Z10 has beter resolution, sharper, screen 4,2 inch, 1,5 Ghz instead of 1,3 Ghz, better reception, 2x more Ram memory, real multitasking up to 8 apps instead of app switch tasking, better virtueel keyboard, easyly upgradeable to 80 GB for only 50 euro/dollar and the phone is cheaper and never crash,hickup in 11 months owning now a Z30 - 5 inch.

Apple has finger scanner and lot of apps but how many apps are U using and what will you use , if it's moslly social than blackberry is much quicker and better and blackberry is compatible with mac, airtunes and apple TV>
    Some of your points are valid and some don't apply to me. For example I actually made more typos on the z10 using its keyboard. Also the real multitasking of up to 8 apps is great except that if you want to use custom led colours for example you need the app to be running in the background if you accidentally close it, it won't work. Headless apps still don't work. So in that sense multi tasking is better on the iPhone. The rest of your points I agree with. But for me those things ruined my experience with the z10 and I actually know it's getting better.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Dear Santa- Why can't BlackBerry ,Apple, Google, and Microsoft just hug it out and create a Super OS with the best features of all their Operating Systems :'(
    sirk25 and Darren Ingram like this.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Actually "Color Led Message" is headless now, it does not need an activeframe. So that removes point 2.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megajo123 View Post
    Actually "Color Led Message" is headless now, it does not need an activeframe. So that removes postedIint 2.
    Does it? Well what about everything else besides that? Are all apps headless now or is it still limited to 8 active frames? If the answer is no all apps are not headless now then thst does not remove point 2. Furthermore is that official or in a leak because when I had 10.1 official it still wasn't headless.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

Well, it says it in the App Description in BlackBerry World, and it works for me, so I think thats pretty official. And you can never expect all apps to be headless, things take time. Though as of now I only know of 2 headless apps, which are the LED one we were talking about and Profile Switcher (Notification profiles) but yea, they're coming. Its a BlackBerry, you've gotta expect it to be slow
    shief24 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shief24 View Post
    Does it? Well what about everything else besides that? Are all apps headless now or is it still limited to 8 active frames? If the answer is no all apps are not headless now then thst does not remove point 2. Furthermore is that official or in a leak because when I had 10.1 official it still wasn't headless.
    With 10.2.1 and above, BB now supports headless apps. This should help resolve one of the major issues with the OS, where only 8 apps could be active at one time.

Hopefully, this should help spur development for the platform but I'm concerned that it may a little too late. The company has an uncertain future and many BB diehards are now moving to Android or iOS.
    Thanked by:
    shief24 (12-23-2013)
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts

I came back to Apple from a Z10. I loved the Hub and the keyboard but the battery life was horrible and my data usage almost doubled on the z10. The iPhone 5s just works. The zed 10 had to be reset often and the lack of apps got old really fast. I even side loaded a lot of apps but they didn't work as well in most cases.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast