Upgrade to 5S for a good price or just upgrade to iOS 7 on my 4S?

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So i guess it comes down to this... upgrade the 4s to 7, play with it for a week. If I enjoy it, then upgrade to 5s, if not, then choose another platform.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Airdrop, native photo filtering and if I recall correctly, wasn't the parallax feature omitted from the 4S's update?

No, the 4s does have native photo filtering, I too thought it wasn't going to get it, but I got it in my 4s. Parallax is also there it is janky though, I don't even use it on my 5. Really in a first time for apple the 4s got everything except airdrop. It's a truly capable little device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So I just bought my wife the 5c for 27.00 bucks at Walmart. They also have the 5s for 119.00. I was not a big fan of iOS 7 up until I got to play with her 5c. I have 7 on my mini, but still running 6 on my 4s.

I think the speed of the 5c running 7 is what might have changed my mind about 7.

So I have 2 options:

1) upgrade to 7 on my 4s (not sure I want to upgrade device just yet)
2) upgrade to 5s for a ridiculous cheap price

So? hold out for another iPhone release next year or upgrade to 7 on 4s?

FYI, had the 4s from original date and still not bored with it and never upgraded my device yet with AT&T.

Based on what you said I would wait. I mean you said you're not bored with the 4s yet, so might as well keep running it and I wouldn't even bother with IOS 7 if IOS6 is running smoothly on the 4s and you are ok with that. Then you can pick up the iPhone 6 or whatever is the next version released or a 5S after the new one is released for even cheaper.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
So you were bored with iOS after 3 years, but now are back because of 7?

I don't need the os refresh, but a new device would be a nice change. For the price of the S, I'd be a fool not to buy it.

In a way yes, I got bored with iOS after 3 years because it always looked the same...and at the time WP7 was released and android was on the horizon, new different designs....so I went to WP and loved it...then android and wasn't overly impressed...back to WP8 liked it but still a beta stage. IoS7 really brought me back to iphone, including the preferable phone size (4" perfect for me) and solid stability os. I had the opportunity to play around with ios7 on my wife's phone for a few months before jumping on board again.

I am happy to be back, I work in an industry where I get to at around with all the latest phones and gotta say android/windows cannot compete in terms of simplicity, flawless functionality and speed/lagless.

The 5s is an outstanding phone, I am confident enough to say it's the best phone on the market. With android their best IMO is lg g2 and windows is lumia 1020. But overall 5s is top of the hill, king of the crop. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
In a way yes, I got bored with iOS after 3 years because it always looked the same...and at the time WP7 was released and android was on the horizon, new different designs....so I went to WP and loved it...then android and wasn't overly impressed...back to WP8 liked it but still a beta stage. IoS7 really brought me back to iphone, including the preferable phone size (4" perfect for me) and solid stability os. I had the opportunity to play around with ios7 on my wife's phone for a few months before jumping on board again.

I am happy to be back, I work in an industry where I get to at around with all the latest phones and gotta say android/windows cannot compete in terms of simplicity, flawless functionality and speed/lagless.

The 5s is an outstanding phone, I am confident enough to say it's the best phone on the market. With android their best IMO is lg g2 and windows is lumia 1020. But overall 5s is top of the hill, king of the crop. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.

This was the kind of answer I was looking for. I have bought used Android (Atrix) and WP (Samsung Focus Flash) phones in the past just to play with them. I just enjoy WP a lot more than Android, WP is just not where I want it to be even though I use all MS services. So thank you for backing up my initial thought that iOS 7 is as good as they say. There is no sense for me to wait to upgrade until next year if I plan on staying with iOS in the future, 7 will just have to grow on me.The iPhone 6 could have nothing new that I really need, so why wait i guess.

In my opinion you can't go wrong paying $119 for a 5s....welcome to the future

That's what I thought, and that is the reason for this post. Saving 80 bucks seems decent enough.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Native photo filtering was added in beta 4 or 5, parallax was there from the start.

Sent from my 5th gen iPod Touch or iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

We're talking final product here, not beta testing versions, which even included features omitted from the 5S upon final release. Regardless, my initial comment was accurate, the 4S's iOS 7 update was not 100%.

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We're talking final product here, not beta testing versions, which even included features omitted from the 5S upon final release. Regardless, my initial comment was accurate, the 4S's iOS 7 update was not 100%.

Native photo filters was in the final release of iOS 7 for the 4S. And yes the iOS 7 update for the 4S was not 100%. The only devices that I know of that got 100% of features on iOS 7 "update" day was the iPhone 5 & 5th gen iPod touch (32/64).

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, my rule of thumb for new iPhone releases is: if it's within 3 months go for it; 3-6 months only if you want it; and 6 months after release I say wait until the new ones come out.

anon(5140585)

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, my rule of thumb for new iPhone releases is: if it's within 3 months go for it; 3-6 months only if you want it; and 6 months after release I say wait until the new ones come out.

guess I better call the store and find out when the 119 deal ends and if there are any in stock. thanks!

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
guess I better call the store and find out when the 119 deal ends and if there are any in stock. thanks!

Reminder that $119 is on a 2 year term and I've had the 4S for about 2 years (but at the time in Canada there was still 3 year terms) and I when did an early upgrade to get the 5S and I have to say it was worth it. The performance difference was day and night. Plus LTE & DC-HSDPA does help on the 5S (My data speeds when from 1 Mbps on my 4S in my area to 7 Mbps on my 5S during the day in my non-LTE area). Plus you can keep your 4S as a backup just in case.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
There is no sense for me to wait to upgrade until next year if I plan on staying with iOS in the future, 7 will just have to grow on me.The iPhone 6 could have nothing new that I really need, so why wait i guess.

I have no interest in a bigger iPhone, one of my main reasons for going back was the small size and light weight. The rumours of a bigger iPhone keep running around, but not confirmed. That and most likely it'll be 2gb of ram to utilize 64bit.

If 5s is an ideal phone for you, go for it. I watched almost every review video of 5s before going ahead, I'm just very cautious and needed to be sure, do not regret.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Native photo filters was in the final release of iOS 7 for the 4S. And yes the iOS 7 update for the 4S was not 100%. The only devices that I know of that got 100% of features on iOS 7 "update" day was the iPhone 5 & 5th gen iPod touch (32/64).

Having an iPhone 5 now but previously having a 4s, the only thing that was !missing was airdrop. But agreed, not 100%.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73