New 5S: Power Button Rattle

unity04

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got the 5S today - was excited too - until I noticed when I slightly shake the phone the power button makes a loud rattling sound, and if I move up and down when recording a video, you can hear the rattle in the video. Does everyone have this issue, or did I get a faulty device?

Also, if anyone has the 5C, is this an issue on that too?

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
It's the camera optics in the phone. Also, the iPhones buttons as a whole tend to have a little wiggle room to them as well. It is a common thing and I wouldn't let it bother you unless it becomes intrusive in some severe way.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It's the camera optics in the phone. Also, the iPhones buttons as a whole tend to have a little wiggle room to them as well. It is a common thing and I wouldn't let it bother you unless it becomes intrusive in some severe way.

Ours is definitely the power the power button

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a slight rattle in my home button (but NOT in my camera this time, go figure)...it is such a small sound though (and really only present when I TRY to replicate the sound).

If I had an audible sound that was loud enough to pick up in video recording though, I would definitely bring it back for a replacement. That is something mine doesn't even come close to doing.

larsonage

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah mine rattles as well. When I swapped it out at Apple they said that there is nothing wrong with it. It's just wear and tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrgdr57

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Ditto. Power button rattles when setting the device down. Not "wear and tear"; it's done this since new. Surprising, given the overall quality of the design and manufacturing tolerances.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

larsonage

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Ditto. Power button rattles when setting the device down. Not "wear and tear"; it's done this since new. Surprising, given the overall quality of the design and manufacturing tolerances.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Sorry to hear that. The new one ingot from the apple store last 3 weeks before it started rattling again. Same as the first one.

molefonken

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
This is why I use the apple leather case + a trimmed felt knob inside the case to add presure right under the power button. In this way, I have no rattle sound when SHAKING it like crazy, though I can hear some rattling when I lay the device down on a hard surface. It's also my only problem with my great device. Without this "fix", my video recording will pick the rattle sound up, and that's a huge problem for me. I've been thinking on trying to fix the button with a non-conductive silicon spray, but I really don't want to mess up my device doing this, so if anyone finds a good solution, please contact me.

bengratzl

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Anyone got a phone which does NOT rattle at all? If so, could you please post the production week, factory and others of your phone? Thanks

vegas33139

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Mine rattles like hell. For a supposed premium product, I'm not very happy about it. I might visit my local Apple store in the next few days.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Some rattle, some don't rattle as much.... It's a known issues with iPhones ever since the iPhone 4 and up.....

iRiidium

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I keep both my 5s' in cases so I haven't noticed. Perhaps Apple felt like they need to keep up with Samsung since Samsung has that loose/rattling home button on the Note 3.

Sent from my titanium rMini LTE