Touch ID with Capacitive Gloves

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just figured out this evening that you can register your fingerprints in capacitive tipped gloves. It was accurate too, my gloves have 4 capacitive fingers and only the one I registered unlocked the phone. Pretty cool trick for these cold days!

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Just figured out this evening that you can register your fingerprints in capacitive tipped gloves. It was accurate too, my gloves have 4 capacitive fingers and only the one I registered unlocked the phone. Pretty cool trick for these cold days!

Great tip! I thought about trying this but never got around to it. Good to see it works. Can't wait to wear my gloves tomorrow so I can register my prints!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricky Ramadhan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

Wow, nice tip
Making new layer to get more security
Security gloves :D

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
So is it the glove that's actually being registered?

Yes, it's the glove and not your finger. But it has to have the capacitive part in order to activate the touch ID sensor, which is why a normal glove wouldn't work. I mean really touch ID is more or less taking a HD picture of the surface of your finger or whatever body part you decided to use.

tomklyn

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's the glove and not your finger. But it has to have the capacitive part in order to activate the touch ID sensor, which is why a normal glove wouldn't work. I mean really touch ID is more or less taking a HD picture of the surface of your finger or whatever body part you decided to use.

so have you had some other person put on the gloves and unlock it

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit saddened...I tried this with my Northface gloves & it didn't work. I think the tips are too smooth😔. I have a pair of Timberland gloves that I want to try but I'll have to wait until I'm back home in a few weeks. Hopefully others will have success!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a pair of thermal capacitive gloves I wear on duty...they also work with the Touch ID system, and anyone who is wearing them can unlock the phone (tested a few times).

jasonprice

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a pair of thermal capacitive gloves I wear on duty...they also work with the Touch ID system, and anyone who is wearing them can unlock the phone (tested a few times).

I figured this would be the case, since it's taking a picture of the glove itself. Thanks!

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
This would totally negate the purpose of using a fingerprint scanner as an additional layer of security on your iDevice. No two people are going to have the same fingerprint, but odds are there will be similar gloves in production. The morbid way of breaking into your iPhone is knocking out the owner and putting their finger on the Touch ID sensor until the phone unlocks. You could also sever a finger, but that's just getting too icky.

If I just had to steal your gloves there is very little you could do before I'm shutting down outside access and scanning your private information.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

im not getting any gloves like that i work with a few sneaky people sometimes don't need anyone getting access to my phone contents

This would totally negate the purpose of using a fingerprint scanner as an additional layer of security on your iDevice. No two people are going to have the same fingerprint, but odds are there will be similar gloves in production. The morbid way of breaking into your iPhone is knocking out the owner and putting their finger on the Touch ID sensor until the phone unlocks. You could also sever a finger, but that's just getting too icky.

If I just had to steal your gloves there is very little you could do before I'm shutting down outside access and scanning your private information.

I agree. This, at least in my opinion, weakens the security of the device.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of laziness human beings exhibit when a feature that is meant to enhance our use and enjoyment of a device is already being circumvented for the sake of convenience.

No, I'm not beating up anyone that thinks using the gloves is a great idea. Just stop and think for a moment. Think about what you were about to willing give away so you could wear gloves. Now if you don't use or disable Touch ID for these purposes - that's great. That won't hinder you at all.

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me the amount of laziness human beings exhibit when a feature that is meant to enhance our use and enjoyment of a device is already being circumvented for the sake of convenience.

No, I'm not beating up anyone that things using the gloves is a great idea. Just stop and think for a moment. Think about what you were about to willing give away so you could wear gloves. Now if you don't use or disable Touch ID for these purposes - that's great. That won't hinder you at all.

Get over it. So you find it lazy that people do some things for convenience...whoopty doo. Stop to think about the scenario you're representing as lazy and negating the function...the capacitive glove still requires a Touch ID sync (with the specific glove), so the only way to get around the feature is to take both he phone AND the glove from the person...a person who gets that far is going to have the phone regardless of the method of Touch ID setup, so what difference does it make? The fact that you can lock the phone down and require a numerical password in conjunction with the Touch ID security feature means that it's still functioning as normal.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the trophy...I just hope that the absurdity of the complaint you offered was made clear. A person who is going to steal an iPhone from a person (AKA: robbing them) is not going to stop and think "This person is wearing capacitive gloves...we need to take those as well...", rendering your idea of negating the feature a bit moot.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro