Due for an Upgrade

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody!

So I'm due for an upgrade in January with the Verizon network. I currently have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7. I'm currently torn between going with an iPhone 5S or a Samsung Galaxy S4. Maybe you guys could help me figure out if I should stay with an iPhone or switch.

I do have a few questions that you guys may or may not be able to help me answer.

1. I love the idea of Touch ID. I get tired of having to always punch in my Passcode. Is it a must have or is it something that needs improvements?
2. I have a Mac so I find it very convenient being able to access my phone stuff on my computer but can I access my computer stuff from my phone?
3. Any ideas on how I can customize the look of my apps?
4. Any issues with Siri? I've always wanted a 4S before the 5, 5c, or 5s came out so I don't exactly know if there's any bugs with her.
5. If I tell Siri to text a friend of mine, will I be able to just tell her the message?
6. Any issues with lags or bog downs? I'm a fast paced person and want things done without any lags or sudden shut downs.
7. Which is the best color? Any sign of a purple in the future?

I know iPhone is a super reliable phone so exploring out from it scares me deeply.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed!

Thanks so much in advanced for your help!!!!

iHackPro

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

1. I have a 5C, so I don't have the fingerprint scanner, but from what I've heard and seen, TouchID works great.
2. Seems like there's an app for that. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/filebrowser-access-files-on/id364738545?at=10l3Vy :p
3. What do you mean?
4. Siri works great on my end.
5. Yes you can.
6. None on my 5C at all, I can only imaging the 5S will be better.
7. The gold seems to be the most popular, but they all look great!

Oh, and these answers are coming from a previous S3 owner!

Ricky Ramadhan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey everybody!

So I'm due for an upgrade in January with the Verizon network. I currently have an iPhone 4 with iOS 7. I'm currently torn between going with an iPhone 5S or a Samsung Galaxy S4. Maybe you guys could help me figure out if I should stay with an iPhone or switch.

I do have a few questions that you guys may or may not be able to help me answer.

1. I love the idea of Touch ID. I get tired of having to always punch in my Passcode. Is it a must have or is it something that needs improvements?
2. I have a Mac so I find it very convenient being able to access my phone stuff on my computer but can I access my computer stuff from my phone?
3. Any ideas on how I can customize the look of my apps?
4. Any issues with Siri? I've always wanted a 4S before the 5, 5c, or 5s came out so I don't exactly know if there's any bugs with her.
5. If I tell Siri to text a friend of mine, will I be able to just tell her the message?
6. Any issues with lags or bog downs? I'm a fast paced person and want things done without any lags or sudden shut downs.
7. Which is the best color? Any sign of a purple in the future?

I know iPhone is a super reliable phone so exploring out from it scares me deeply.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed!

Thanks so much in advanced for your help!!!!

Touch id is best method to unlock your iphone :p don't doubt that
There is no lag issue at device you mention (5, 5c, 5s) except S4 LOL
Siri be smarter than you expect
I think you need iphone 5s with Gold colour, so blinking :D

Aguaski

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Samsung will probably refresh the S4 sometime in the spring. Nobody knows exactly when this will happen but I would say that by January the S4 will be closer to the end of its life as the Samsung flagship than it is to the beginning of its life. If it was me I would be asking myself if I should upgrade to the iPhone 5s or wait until the Galaxy S5 is released.

kazza295

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Definitely a 5s Over a gs4. A gs4 is full of pointless 'innovative' ideas whereas the iphone is full of actually useful things. That might sound fan boyish but it's true and I have both android and iPhones. If you are happy with your iphone 4 then the 5s will be brilliant. It will be much faster, less laggy and bigger screen etc. there was such a huge jump in performance for me from my 3GS to 5 so it should be similar for you. I personally still use an android as my main phone as an iphone doesn't suit all my needs. If you want to try android instead then choose a better phone than the gs4 or anything Samsung maybe an lg g2 or nexus 5 (yes I hate Samsung :p) or just wait and see what they release as new android phones get announced in January and February. Hope that helps :)

LadiJae

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I personally just went from an samsung galaxy note 2 to the iPhone 5s gold...

I love android and iOS !

Only real reasons I left that phone was because of the size and I wanted push notifications back ( I've had 2 iPhones in the past)
Galaxy 4 is a nice phone, these newer android phones do not have lag. I've had many android phones and the galaxy line has been the best. All your key questions are doable on iPhone 5s and Siri is awesome...I have the mans voice!!

If u just need a change which is why I go back m forth. Then get the galaxy. The LG SUCKS!!!! I would say get the note 3, but that may be too large for you. And the android phones are highly customizable. You would love it!

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold on Tapatalk

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore rawrblaah

The 5s is a great device. For me it's turning out to be the best iPhone yet.
Touch I D is also my favorite feature. It's been flawless for me.
Having a Mac a iPad and a iPhone makes synching simple keeping things in order.
Good luck with your choice.

#Naked Tuesday

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, welcome to iMore! Hope you like it here 😃

Since you're upgrading from an iPhone 4, both phones will be massive upgrades for you. However, the 5S is simply better in almost all the areas that matter. It has a better camera, Touch ID is absolutely fantastic and you should jump on the 64 bit bandwagon as soon as you can. I don't think Apple is getting rid of dual core processors anytime soon (they don't even use the A6 and A7 at full power), but only one of their recent products has a 32 bit processor (iPhone 5C) and other companies seem to be jumping on the bandwagon. It's one thing you should remember when you go for the upgrade.

I personally consider Siri a novelty and hardly use it, but it works whenever I do. It's a pretty cool thing, but not something you should consider when you upgrade. However, Siri blows S Voice out of the water, simply because S Voice sucks.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I had an s4, and I still found it to be extremely laggy...maybe because I am used to the iPhone. Granted, I only had it because I got a hell of a deal and was just going to trade it for my iPhone 5, but I did get a few days of use out of it. To me, android lacks compared to the iPhone. It's a personal preference, but thats how I feel.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everyone here on 5s over the S4...and this is with an as much unbiased opinion as possible.

Firstly, the Touch ID is incredible and i am so glad i no longer have to enter a passcode...Apple implemented this flawlessly.

As for the other questions, you will have more flexibility with the S4 in terms of Main Screen customization...but thats honestly wears off quickly. It being an Android, the phone will get laggy over time, the experience is not a fluid as an iPhone. Plus you will need to install anti-virus protection, its pretty much a mobile computer vs an iPhone which is a 'get stuff done move on with life' type of mobile.

Also, you will want to consider Phone/Screen size. 5s vs S4 are drastically difference size devices. I had an S3, and then a Lumia 920 which are almost the same size...i returned to iPhone after realizing the 4" Screen and phone size are ideal for me. This was a big selling point for me and if you're given the option, i'd suggest testing out the S4 for a week to see if you'd like it. Im a guy and ive got big hands...and i still prefer the smaller size. My wife hated the size of my S3/Lumia and the iPhone is her ideal size as well.

If you like the collaborated ecosystem with your Mac, well then iPhones a no brainer in my opinion.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Does anybody think that the Touch ID is only going to stick to the 5S or will other iPhones possibly have it in the future?

I think TouchID is here to stay, BUT only time will tell. I have heard good things, but have not used it. I LOVE the concept of it. Besides just unlocking the phone, you can use it to authorize app purchases, so no longer do you have to type in your password each time!

As for the S4, it is a great phone, I had one for a few months, it's fast and has some great features, SOME that do take some getting used too, like the ability to scroll with a wave of your hand (but you can choose to turn that off). The S4 is much more customizable than the 5S. HOWEVER, the 5S might and probably is a better fit for you. It probably will integrate better with your Mac and you will be more used to it and you will learn it's features more easily since you already know it. And there's always the "it just works" factor, which really is true!

Bottomline you really can't go wrong with either phone, both are their company's flagship phone and are well made, excellent phones. Go to the carrier store spend some time with each, keep doing this type of research, keep watching online reviews, and reading the blogs, and then make an informed decision, which it seems like you are doing. :) Good luck to you. :)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody think that the Touch ID is only going to stick to the 5S or will other iPhones possibly have it in the future?

It would be a good thing if Touch ID were to be implemented on say a future iPhone C if they continue with that model. It's great technology. The separator maybe just the processor speed and plastic v aluminum.

#Naked Tuesday

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to iMore!!!

I definitely think it'll get moved to the C at some point. The technology is great and there seems to be more good feedback than bad. BTW...I definitely think you should get a 5S over the S4. Don't get me wrong the S4 is a great phone but it's going to be old tech sooner than the 5S. If you're really leaning towards Android, I think the Moto X is one of the best phones out right now and I'm not even a Motorola fan.

Good luck and enjoy your new phone...whatever it will be😊

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rawrblaah

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had my iPhone 4 for a little over a year. I bought it out right on Ebay. I really enjoy it as a phone and how quickly it moves. I think I'm getting bored with it because of the lack of really good free apps. I enjoy using it like an iPod and the new look. I have always wanted Siri. I feel like getting the iPhone 5S might just be a little new since everything would be basically the same except for having it move faster than the 4, Siri, and Touch ID. Maybe somebody could give me some more insight as to what other cool new things the 5S can do? I'm super nervous that if I do decide to move on from the iPhone I'm just gonna want to get the iPhone back after having a year or so of change. Why does this process have to be so complicated?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro