Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Is Touch ID working well for you?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

66 64.71%
  • I have problems with it sometimes.

32 31.37%
  • No, it's terrible!

4 3.92%
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    3,493 Global Posts

Default Is Touch ID working well for you?

Seems like one out of every 20 (or so) iPhone users I bump into has problems with Touch ID. I always suggest to 're-train' the device and I never hear back... so there's a good chance that perhaps there's some 'user error' going on here... However, I know for a fact that some are having serious problems with Touch ID not working properly.

How's your Touch ID experience been so far? Working flawlessly? Occasional glitch or problem? Or not working at all?
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    Thanked by:
    Nissan4LIFE (12-01-2013)
    iMore Beginner

Default Re: Is Touch ID working well for you?

Works perfectly for a week after registering a new finger, deteriorates slightly in week 2 and by week 3 it takes 3-4 tries before it logs in. So I re-register the finger(s) and the cycle restarts. Obviously it's not a problem with the sensor or software since it works perfectly for a week. I also clean the phone with anti bacterial wipes daily so it's not an issue with a dirty sensor. My hypothesis is that the change in weather/dryness causes significant enough changes in the valleys/ridges of the print to affect the reading. And yes, I apply hand moisturizer daily to try to alleviate this.
    RxRex likes this.
    ngc
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Been using it since monday and it has only not worked like 3-4 times in 3 days, not bad at all...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Since the iPhone 5S is currently the only device with this feature I am moving this thread to the 5S forum for better exposure.

Sent from my iPad Air.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,069 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Mine has been flawless since I set it up with the help of different angle of my right thumb and pressure from the top. Has not failed me yet. If you get it dirty or oily I would suggest a light wipe with a micro fiber cloth and that is it.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minimo3 View Post
    Works perfectly for a week after registering a new finger, deteriorates slightly in week 2 and by week 3 it takes 3-4 tries before it logs in. So I re-register the finger(s) and the cycle restarts. Obviously it's not a problem with the sensor or software since it works perfectly for a week. I also clean the phone with anti bacterial wipes daily so it's not an issue with a dirty sensor. My hypothesis is that the change in weather/dryness causes significant enough changes in the valleys/ridges of the print to affect the reading. And yes, I apply hand moisturizer daily to try to alleviate this.
    This mirrors my experience so I finally stopped using it. Originally, when I purchased my 5s, I bought a Spigen glass protector to go with it and it caused issues that were alleviated when I removed it. Still, after a couple of weeks, its efficiency would go out of the window. I like this theory concerning print changes
    iMore Newbie

I'm right handed and it works perfect for me with my thumb and index finger. My thumb on my left hand is another story but that just may be poor motor skills. My gripe is if you press it just a hair too long from lock Siri pops up and it doesn't unlock when I dismiss her. Howard Stern was really cursing this a few weeks ago that was funny.

Sent from my iPad using

You don't really need to push down on the button for it to read your print just place your thumb over the button.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
    You don't really need to push down on the button for it to read your print just place your thumb over the button.
    I know I mean waking and unlocking in one touch. I've found that pushing it perfectly saves a step. Are you supposed to be able to touch it from sleep and it unlock? Maybe it isn't working for me lol

Sent from my iPad using

Quote Originally Posted by Danzoman View Post
    I know I mean waking and unlocking in one touch. I've found that pushing it perfectly saves a step. Are you supposed to be able to touch it from sleep and it unlock? Maybe it isn't working for me lol

Sent from my iPad using
    Okay gotcha.
    iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB - 2014 Mac Book Air

Got a question:
    New to the Forums:
    How we work around here:
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
    Okay gotcha.
    I found this thread in iOS 7 section btw

Sent from my iPad using

Global Posts
    6,637 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Danzoman View Post

Sent from my iPad using
    No you have to press the button first.
    iMore Intermediate

It's pretty mixed for me. It works pretty quickly and succeeds nearly all the time, but it can take a few tries sometimes. Not too big of a deal, since it works flawlessly 95% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    391 Global Posts

Since the weather has gotten really cold where I live, I've had more trouble. Before that, it rarely failed. I retrained it and it's fine again. I too have the same theory about dryness.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using
    Last edited by solitude1984; 12-13-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Mitsubishi G310 -> Vtech A700 -> LG 6190 -> LG125 -> Samsung flip -> Moto Razr -> Blackberry Curve 8300 -> Blackberry Curve 8330 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4s -> iPhone 5s
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

I've trained both my thumbs and both my index fingers. I can almost always get an unlock on the first try with my index fingers. However, for some reason, I can't get the thumbs to recognize consistently. I've retrained them several times and still not working 100% I get about 60% with the thumbs.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

It's great when it works, keywords being "when it works", which is about 20% of the time for me. Sometimes, the sensor just won't recognise my fingerprint however many times I try. When this happens, it can be quite frustrating, because then you are wasting more time then if you had just locked in via passcode (which is precisely what Touch-ID was designed to let you get around).

I reset my iPhone last week, and Touch-ID worked flawlessly for a week before the problem resurfaced. It's not that inconvenient, but I shouldn't be needing to restart my phone every now and then.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

I too have issues with TouchID occasionally but it usually has to do with my finger placement on the sensor...most of the time I readjust and it works fine after 2 or 3 tries.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,132 Global Posts

it lags for me, when i put my finger on the home button their is like a 5 sec delay before my phone unlocks
    iMore Beginner

I have found that by registering the ball of my print as opposed to the tip, it works a lot better.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I haven't had a problem with mine. But I did see an article on Flipboard where someone registered their thumb as 5 different fingers and that has helped.

Sent from my iPad using
    iMore Nanite

I hard problems with unlocking my phone 1/4 of the time and got smart and decided to program the finger I use the most, twice, never had another issue since then. But you can only have 5 fingerprints stored at once.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    642 Global Posts

I've only had mine for 6 days, but I haven't had any problems. But It seems when I touch firmly it registers faster. And I've heard sweaty hands won't work on it

~ Sent from my Sexy iPhone 5s Gold on ~
    iMore Intermediate

I forget I have TouchID it works so well. I have only one exception, my thumb that has a scar down the middle, sometimes I have to try twice with that one, but my other 4 fingers in it work every time, since launch day.

2012 21" iMac
    2012 11" MacBook Air
    16 GB Space Gray AT&T iPhone 5s
    16 GB Space Gray AT&T iPad Air
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Works fine for me.
    I click the home button and my iPhone is up!
    iPhone 5s / Space Gray / 64GB / Unlocked.
    iPod Touch 5G / Graphite / 32GB
    iPad rMini / White & Silver / 16GB / Wifi + Cellular.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts

It works good with me! But it sometimes does not recognize my fingerprint when my hand is a bit sweaty and if the button is a bit dirty! These are the only 2 drawbacks i have experienced.

iPhone 5 using
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast