iPhone 5s Durability

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Now that the iPhone 5s has been out for some time... was wondering... how are we all making out with the durability of the product? Any scratches, dents or blemishes on your 5s, or is it holding up quite well? iPhones have become more and more durable through the years, using better and stronger materials... but I always like to hear from users what their real experience is. So what say you? Is your 5s holding up well or do you have it tucked away in a protective case?

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Pretty good I remember my iPhone 5 getting scratches up easily but the 5s i have taken it out of tight cases and put it in tight cases and no scratches at all i am using apples leather case which gives the phone a great feeling

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine have all been in cases 90% of the time...but I did drop my last gold version without a case on my hard wood floor in my living room and it didn't even so much as scratch it (probably dropped from about 2 feet up off a chair).

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I have a few hard scuffs. Less than a week and I have to keep my phone in the black Apple leather case or the sight of them will cause me fits.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Did the scuffs happen with the case off? did it have any case on or was it naked?

I was using an Otterbox Commuter case for the 5S. With the flaps down, a good portion of the 5S underside is exposed and mine wasn't as flush with the phone as I would have liked. 90% of the time I wouldn't notice them if I didn't remember where I had my accident. It is in such an awkward place that I would need to look for the them on the phone.

commuter_series_features_lg.jpg

The Apple shell case covers the spot nicely though.

Ricky Ramadhan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I just don't wanna a nightmare happened with my iphone 5s, I'am a perfectionist so I don't make any scratch or dent with my phone.

I can't imagine when I got my first scratch or dent :( really bad I think

Last week something bad happened, when I take photos at beach a want fix position of my bumper but my mistakes I just dropped my iphone in salt water. With my reflect I take it and turn it off, I do anything to make it dry and I believe is gonna be alright. So I dry it until few hours I turn it on and everything normal like before nothing error or damage :D

I promise it become first and last accident ;) LOL

Last edited:

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I just don't wanna a nightmare happened with my iphone 5s, I'am a perfectionist so I don't make any scratch or dent with my phone.

I can't imagine when I got my first scratch or dent :( really bad I think

Last week something bad happened, when I take photos at beach a want fix position of my bumper but my mistakes I just dropped my iphone on salt water. With my reflect I take it and turn it off, I do anything to make it dry and I believe is gonna be alright. So I dry it until few hours I turn it on and everything normal like before nothing error or damage :D

I promise it become first and last accident ;) LOL

On salt water or in salt water?

Big difference....

I would leave it in rice for 24 hrs.

Ricky Ramadhan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
On salt water or in salt water?

Big difference....

I would leave it in rice for 24 hrs.

Sorry, in salt water.
I take it, and I see my phone even I had swipe the touchscreen to make sure it still working
But I realise it still wet condition, so I turn it off

Yes I know that method, but I believe its gonna be alright so I just drying it with a fan

I can't imagine when my iphone just drop at wet sands, the sands will cover all my iphone and must be hard to clean it
But it dropped in salt water so the problem is make sure the water in dry and not going inside and damage it.

DougFNJ

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have always kept a snap style back case, and now the Apple Leather Case on my iPhones and carry them in a belt pouch. Result is the iPhone a year later is good as new with a nice high resale value for when the next generation comes out :)

RxRex

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I've kept it wrapped in a Spigen Tough Armour case from day one and it's in pristine condition. I feared the wear and tear of the iPhone 5 (since this is my first iPhone) so, mine will never be naked

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am using the same new Seidio Convert that I used for 2 years on my 4S. 2 piece hard shell for the phone with a silicone rubber outer cover and skeleton to hold them both together. All ports are protected with a cover and comes with a holster. I love it, very similar to Otterbox Armour.
I had great success with the first one so stick with what worked for me. I am happy with it very much. I also added a Zagg smudge proof screen protector warrantied for life. I am set and happy!

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the iPhone without a case for nearly a month before I put Apple's black leather case on it. It has a microscopic ding on its chamfered edge when I hit it on a wooden edge quite hard and some light scratches along the front of the phone (again, on the edge) from when I dropped it from 2-3 feet on a tiled floor with a slight grain on the tiles. It's holding up nicely, I'd say.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't like to see scratches on my phone. So I put the leather Apple case in my phone the moment I purchased it and have not taken it off. I won't take it off unless the case itself gets damaged.

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
You guys will love this story. Recently at my university, there has been a breakout of fights that are rumored to be 'gang-related'. So I was walking to another class of mine and I just had passed like four cops guarding the building. I didn't think anything would happen out of the blue. All of a sudden a fight breaks out and the cops run toward the guys with tasers to stop the confrontation. The cops had long been accused of racism (which isn't true, AT ALL), so we were advised if we seen any type of confrontation to get our phones out and record what was going on. So as these cops were running toward the guys, everyone pulls their phones out including myself. I start recording and all of a sudden I hear some guy behind me say, "Yo, why you recordin this bro?" and then my iPhone 5S Gold 32 GB goes flying across the concrete as he knocks it out of my hand right in front of the cops. He then takes my phone and says, "This is my phone now, *****" (you can hear him in the end of the video). The cop approached him with a tazer and forced him to give it back to me. All in all, my 5S survived this without a single scratch. I was amazed.

DarkBlade_95

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You guys will love this story. Recently at my university, there has been a breakout of fights that are rumored to be 'gang-related'. So I was walking to another class of mine and I just had passed like four cops guarding the building. I didn't think anything would happen out of the blue. All of a sudden a fight breaks out and the cops run toward the guys with tasers to stop the confrontation. The cops had long been accused of racism (which isn't true, AT ALL), so we were advised if we seen any type of confrontation to get our phones out and record what was going on. So as these cops were running toward the guys, everyone pulls their phones out including myself. I start recording and all of a sudden I hear some guy behind me say, "Yo, why you recordin this bro?" and then my iPhone 5S Gold 32 GB goes flying across the concrete as he knocks it out of my hand right in front of the cops. He then takes my phone and says, "This is my phone now, *****" (you can hear him in the end of the video). The cop approached him with a tazer and forced him to give it back to me. All in all, my 5S survived this without a single scratch. I was amazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM5x4bILLwg

Wow. Must've been a huge shock for you. Glad your phone is okay 😄

Ricky Ramadhan

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM5x4bILLwg

Wow, nice story
Really big experience
:biggrin::yes:

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Mines in great condition...not a scratch! I have it in a case; actually is consider it the best case I ever owned for my iPhone.

Evutec Karbon SP case that I bought through Apple. This thing is better than the Otterbox IMO. I feels super nice to hold and you gotta love having a "real" carbon fiber case !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2