How do app updates work now?

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I see that when apps need an update the numbers still appear on the App Store icon. For some reason I thought I read somewhere that when apps come out with new updates they just automatically update and you don't have to manually go in and click the update all button. What's the deal with them?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You have a choice to manually update the apps like you're used to doing or have them update automatically. To get the apps to update automatically, go to Settings->iTunes & App Store and then scroll down to the "Automatic Downloads" section and enable "Updates".

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, they don't necessarily IMMEDIATELY update even if you have that option selected. They do so at some (random) point in the future. In the near future (ie, same day) but not necessarily immediately. So you will at times perhaps see the badge and a number. And you can manually update if you wish.

antiprotest

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You can also change the notification options to turn on or off the badges and banners. Then they'll just update without telling you but you can still find out what's been updated since the app store keeps a list now.

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i noticed if i go into the app store, it checks for updates and the badge count appears immediately. if i am on wi-fi, the updates start asap.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73