The dreaded yellow screen.

ScottyBoy_22

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

I bought my iPhone 5S back in September.

I'm aware that this "issue" has constantly been brought up with nearly every iPhone release, but it really does bug me.

My iPhone 5S has the dreaded yellow tint, and, when holding it side-by-side to any iPhone 5 display models in the shops, it really, really stands out and looks incredibly dingy compared to the beautiful pure whites (sometimes slightly blue tinted) seen on the iPhone 5. It makes my whites look ivory.

Funnily enough, I then compared it to a 5C I came across on display one day, and the screen on the 5C was even more yellow than my own.

I cannot un-see the yellow tint now. Whenever I use my iPhone, it feels of inferior quality, due to the screen looking so drab. It doesn't help that my MacBook Pro has brilliant whites, so when I'm multi-tasking between the two devices, the iPhone's screen just depresses me whenever I look at it.

I keep thinking just how happy I would be if my iPhone had the brilliant whites of the iPhone 5 display models I saw in Tesco.

Watching some speed comparison videos on YouTube, I noticed that the iPhone 5S usually had a slightly warmer tone to it than the iPhone 5.

Sorry for the essay, but I'll get down to the main reasons why I decided to create a thread.

May I ask you to hold your iPhone 5S next to any of your older devices, please? And could you let me know the outcome?

Secondly, I know that Cydia have a colour-profiles setting, which means you can pretty much change the screen temperature. Why on earth doesn't Apple implement something similar? Different people prefer different temperature displays, so surely creating a setting like this would please everyone? There is literally no possible downside to it. The number of threads I've seen about people returning their iPhones several times due to having a yellow screen, Apple could eradicate that entirely with a simple setting! Argh, so frustrating.

Thoughts?

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site

Comparing to older devices will not really yield any useful results. The calibration of the screen colors from one model of iPhone to another model can be different.

What you need to do, is compare the white tone of your 5S, to other 5S's. If you can, line up 3 or more. If they all appear similar in tone (warm/"yellow" as you stated) then it is most likely just the way Apple chose to calibrate the color representation of these screens.

If, when compared to a few other iPhone 5S's, your screen appears noticeably warmer/yellower, then Apple should replace it under warranty.

ScottyBoy_22

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
It's currently an edited version of the first space wallpaper in the default wallpapers. Why? I edited it in photoshop to make it colder, as the original just looked so yellow on my screen.

ScottyBoy_22

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Original wallpaper

BZbx4AUIcAAAaPT.png:small

My edited version, to try and make the screen less drab at the lock/home screen.

BZbx6wqIgAAO6lH.png:small

But of course, how you see these screen shots on your monitor won't be the same as how I'm seeing it on my screen.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If you believe there is a difference, take it back to the Apple Store. Maybe they'll be able to tell if there's anything wrong, but I don't have a yellow tint to my display at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is an issue that has come up with every iPhone since the iPhone 4 with retina. Some screens will have a warm tint to them while others will have a slightly cooler temp. You can always try to exchange it, however, you could end up with one having the same warm/yellow screen. If you search for "yellow iPhone screen" on here you will find tons of posts with people complaining about the same thing. Some exchanged their phones and were lucky enough to get one with a cooler screen but others ended up getting one with the same screen.

ScottyBoy_22

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
This is an issue that has come up with every iPhone since the iPhone 4 with retina. Some screens will have a warm tint to them while others will have a slightly cooler temp. You can always try to exchange it, however, you could end up with one having the same warm/yellow screen. If you search for "yellow iPhone screen" on here you will find tons of posts with people complaining about the same thing. Some exchanged their phones and were lucky enough to get one with a cooler screen but others ended up getting one with the same screen.

Yeah, I know all about it. Would Apple be happy to exchange my phone purely for this reason? I'm also worried that, if I do get it exchanged, what if the replacement is even worse?

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I know all about it. Would Apple be happy to exchange my phone purely for this reason? I'm also worried that, if I do get it exchanged, what if the replacement is even worse?

There is no guarantee that Apple will replace your 5S for this issue as it technically isn't a problem with the phone itself. However, Apple is known for their great customer service so you can always call them and make an appointment to get your 5S looked at in their store. As far as getting one that has more of a yellow screen, that is the chance you take by exchanging it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal