Can't SMS while on phone call?

Mark_Venture

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I know with my Verizon iPhone 5, it didn't support simultaneous Voice and Data, even over LTE. And since its my work phone, I rarely texted on it. I got upgraded to an iPhone 5S at release day, and today, was trying to text while on a phone call...

I was surprised to see that I could not.

Here is how I tested while on phone call with my Verizon iPhone 5s.

I sent text from my VZW Moto X to iPhone 5s. The 5S didn't receive it. I tried sending from iPhone 5S to my X... It FAILED to send. Then I sent an SMS from my T-Mobile Galaxy S3 to iPhone 5s, again the 5S didn't get it. I tried sending from 5S to GS3, failed. When I hung up the phone call on the 5S, I went into message, opened the two that failed and hit try again. They sent and were received on the other phones. So I sent from X and GS3 to iPhone 5s, the 5S received them.

Those messages I sent to the 5S while on the call still haven't been received on the 5S. Its been about 30 minutes since I hung up the call on the 5S.

I expect iMessage uses data, but since I'm texting with two Android phones, iMessage shouldn't come into play, it should be plain SMS. And my X and GS3 can text while on the phone just fine, as could my past non-Apple phones.

Is this happening for anyone else on their Verizon iPhone 5S?

Rebooting the phone didn't help. The only thing that might come into play here is the internal antenna system at work, but walking outside, out of range of the internal system, I still had the same issue. I'll try again when I get home tonight.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
As I understand this, it?s not a simultaneous voice/data issue... SMS actually uses the voice channel.

Mark_Venture

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. SMS uses the same CDMA radio as voice so both cannot be done at the same time.
Not to completely disagree with you, but as I typed in my OP... I *CAN* text and talk at the same time on my VZW Moto X as I just did it during my testing. It uses CDMA/1xRTT for voice too. I know from past experience, I could with my HTC Thunderbolt and Moto Bionic too. My T-Mobile GS3 is of course not CDMA, but it can talk/text at the same time.

To be honest, of the many phones I've had (see list here -> Post Your Phone Timeline - Page 2 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com ) this is the first time I've run into not being able to text and talk at the same time. However, with my iPhone 4s, iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s being my work phones and I rarely if ever text on them, so I don't recall ever having to text while on a phone call with them before today.

And even if for whatever reason, I can't talk and text at the same time... what happened to the SMS messages sent to my 5S while I was on the call? Shouldn't they have come into the phone after being hung up from the call?

Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I can feel it...coming in the aiiiir toniiiiight...hold onnnn.

Having always used AT&T, I've never had a problem texting while on a phone call.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Having always used AT&T, I've never had a problem texting while on a phone call.

Oh thanks, Sean...Now I can't get Phil Collins voice out of my head....(laughing)

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
i CAN send/receive SMS while on the phone with verizon (while NOT on wifi, which doesn't matter). i can't send iMessages or MMS during a call, which is expected.
Mark_Venture, must be something specific with your phone that is acting up.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
i CAN send/receive SMS while on the phone with verizon (while NOT on wifi, which doesn't matter). i can't send iMessages or MMS during a call, which is expected.

^this....I can send SMS while on a call but not iMessages

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

I've never had a problem using iMessage while on a phone call or using data without wifi on AT&T either. I value that a lot. Must suck to be on verizon sometimes :D

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a problem using iMessage while on a phone call or using data without wifi on AT&T either. I value that a lot. Must suck to be on verizon sometimes :D

The past 10 years of my cell use has been CDMA carriers, so I don't miss what I never had. I have always wanted to try AT&T because of this ability but their service is only a tad better than Sprint & T-mo in my area, so I'll just have to wait

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I always thought he said, "Oh Lawd." Is it, "Hold on?"

Boom! You owe me a Coke. Haha.

4y3uje5u.jpg

Mark_Venture

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, not sure what it is.. A friend who has a VZW iPhone 5s just called me.. while on the phone we were texting back and forth. We discussed possible settings, and for grins and smiles compared his phone to mine and they were set the same.

Not sure why my 5S is doing this.

Then again, I'm not sure I really care to spend any more time figuring it out. I don't text for work, just email, Lync, and call... so its not a big deal. Just very surprising.

Thanks to everyone who posted.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Man, that sucks! I had a 4s and 5 on Verizon and I don't recall having that problem. T-Mobile is good to me! I can text, iMessage, surf the web and everything else while I'm on a call. 4G/LTE works great! I couldn't deal with not being able to do that while on a call, especially a long call.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
You can indeed send text messages while on the phone using a Verizon iPhone, but you can't iMessage or use any other data related applications (unless on WiFi)

However, on just about any other LTE device that Verizon offers (That isn't an iOS device) you can do both data and calls. The reason? Those generally come with 2 radios built in. Apple, however, refuses to do that for the iPhone. So as it stands, it is what it is.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox