Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By EmceeGeek
  • 1 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 1 Post By iKev
  • 2 Post By Exsurgo
  • 1 Post By iKev
  • 1 Post By Jaguarr40
  • 1 Post By iKev
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Default Leave the Phone On All Day?

I searched and only found a thread about leaving the screen on overnight for an
    alarm clock, and that *may* have answered my question but I figured I'd ask here
    just to make sure.

Here's my situation: I'm a motorcycle cop and I have my phone mounted on the
    handlebars of the bike all day (plugged into speakers so I can listen to music/talk
    radio throughout the day). Habitually, like most of us, I put the phone in sleep mode
    when it's not in use. If the phone stays plugged into a power source all day, will it
    do any damage or noticeably shorten the life of the display if I leave it on all day?
    I'd like to leave it on the home screen so I don't have to go through the process of
    unlocking it while riding to see if I have a missed text or call; I can just glance down
    and see if there's a notification badge.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using

Global Posts
    3,498 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Leave the Phone On All Day?

Yes it will shorten the life of the display however that shouldn't be a problem unless you keep the phone for more than 3 years. I have a friend who is also a motorcycle cop, has had his iPhone 4 set the same way for the last couple of years without issue. Much like the battery, will you actually keep the phone long enough to warrant a battery replacement? Seeing that the next great device is released once a year many people upgrade every other year. So I would feel confident with your intended use being just fine.
    jsntrenkler
    Mobile Gear: Retina Macbook Pro 13 / iPad Air / iPhone 5S / Pebble Smartwatch
    Community Rules & Guidelines

Global Posts
    19,401 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Of course, I don't have any proof, but I'd like to think that it would damage/shorten the life of the display.

Global Posts
    1,713 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm only assuming that it would shorten the displays life as well as the battery. Good thing we have warranty exchanges and can update yearly.
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    JustMe'D likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

I would think you'd have to keep the phone for quite a long time (like 5+ years) before you'd notice any longevity issues with the screen...I keep mine tethered and running various radio apps throughout the day so I'd say mine stays on as well.

And good to see a fellow LEO here!
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    iKev likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

One of my co workers keeps the screen of her iPhone 4 on all day and has had it for almost 2 years now with no issues. If you plan on doing this I would turn the screens brightness level down just enough that you can still see things. This might help conserve a little battery life.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I typically upgrade phones every year, so I doubt I'd notice any issues with its longevity.

As for brightness, I always keep it at 100% on the bike because, for obvious reasons, I don't wanna spend unnecessary time trying to focus on the screen.

Thanks for the input, everyone.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,062 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Should you be using the phone while riding anyway? Isn't that against the law?

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Nope. Not for me.
    SeanHRCC likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

iKev, my reply is only about the Motorcop part..I did 13 yrs as a motor officer and motor sergeant before leaving for the Training Bureau. Please be safe and keep the shiny side up!
    iKev and RollTideFanGrl like this.
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Intermediate

Thanks! I've only been hit by two cars in six years. Hopefully there won't be a third! ;-)
    RollTideFanGrl likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I work in a very large Motorcycle dealership where the Motorcycle Cops in our County that we of course service and warranty the BMW Motorcycles, They use iPhone that stay on all the time but BMW has a special interface cable 30 pin and now the 9 pin that auto lowers the display but does not turn it completely off to save the life of the display. I have not seen any of their phone go belly up yet.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iKev likes this.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iMore Intermediate

We had the BMWs for about 10 years; just switched to Kawasakis three years ago. The Beemers were nice, but I gotta say - these Kawis blow them outta the water!

(I refused to be in this piece- I'm not really a fan of being on TV, etc.)
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,061 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by iKev View Post
    We had the BMWs for about 10 years; just switched to Kawasakis three years ago. The Beemers were nice, but I gotta say - these Kawis blow them outta the water!

(I refused to be in this piece- I'm not really a fan of being on TV, etc.)
    To tell you the truth the Beemers cost them a great deal of money in maintenance costs and when they go out of warranty even more and they use the R1200RTP which is not a beast at all but they keep buying them. We live in a a fairly wealthy community in Fl. so I am sure they logo on the bike has something to do with it instead of being practical like you mention with kawas. Harley's are totally out, those are for the city cops, The beemers are for the County Sheriffs.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

if u keep the phone plugged in to a power source it will waste electricity and also reduce how long your battery lasts