Leave the Phone On All Day?

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I searched and only found a thread about leaving the screen on overnight for an
alarm clock, and that *may* have answered my question but I figured I'd ask here
just to make sure.

Here's my situation: I'm a motorcycle cop and I have my phone mounted on the
handlebars of the bike all day (plugged into speakers so I can listen to music/talk
radio throughout the day). Habitually, like most of us, I put the phone in sleep mode
when it's not in use. If the phone stays plugged into a power source all day, will it
do any damage or noticeably shorten the life of the display if I leave it on all day?
I'd like to leave it on the home screen so I don't have to go through the process of
unlocking it while riding to see if I have a missed text or call; I can just glance down
and see if there's a notification badge.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes it will shorten the life of the display however that shouldn't be a problem unless you keep the phone for more than 3 years. I have a friend who is also a motorcycle cop, has had his iPhone 4 set the same way for the last couple of years without issue. Much like the battery, will you actually keep the phone long enough to warrant a battery replacement? Seeing that the next great device is released once a year many people upgrade every other year. So I would feel confident with your intended use being just fine.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Of course, I don't have any proof, but I'd like to think that it would damage/shorten the life of the display.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm only assuming that it would shorten the displays life as well as the battery. Good thing we have warranty exchanges and can update yearly.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I would think you'd have to keep the phone for quite a long time (like 5+ years) before you'd notice any longevity issues with the screen...I keep mine tethered and running various radio apps throughout the day so I'd say mine stays on as well.

And good to see a fellow LEO here!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
One of my co workers keeps the screen of her iPhone 4 on all day and has had it for almost 2 years now with no issues. If you plan on doing this I would turn the screens brightness level down just enough that you can still see things. This might help conserve a little battery life.

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I typically upgrade phones every year, so I doubt I'd notice any issues with its longevity.

As for brightness, I always keep it at 100% on the bike because, for obvious reasons, I don't wanna spend unnecessary time trying to focus on the screen.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Exsurgo

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
iKev, my reply is only about the Motorcop part..I did 13 yrs as a motor officer and motor sergeant before leaving for the Training Bureau. Please be safe and keep the shiny side up!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I work in a very large Motorcycle dealership where the Motorcycle Cops in our County that we of course service and warranty the BMW Motorcycles, They use iPhone that stay on all the time but BMW has a special interface cable 30 pin and now the 9 pin that auto lowers the display but does not turn it completely off to save the life of the display. I have not seen any of their phone go belly up yet.

iKev

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
We had the BMWs for about 10 years; just switched to Kawasakis three years ago. The Beemers were nice, but I gotta say - these Kawis blow them outta the water!

http://youtu.be/dL0uZRY_Pmo

(I refused to be in this piece- I'm not really a fan of being on TV, etc.)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
We had the BMWs for about 10 years; just switched to Kawasakis three years ago. The Beemers were nice, but I gotta say - these Kawis blow them outta the water!

NNPD Motor Unit- Kawasaki Motorcycles.mov - YouTube

(I refused to be in this piece- I'm not really a fan of being on TV, etc.)

To tell you the truth the Beemers cost them a great deal of money in maintenance costs and when they go out of warranty even more and they use the R1200RTP which is not a beast at all but they keep buying them. We live in a a fairly wealthy community in Fl. so I am sure they logo on the bike has something to do with it instead of being practical like you mention with kawas. Harley's are totally out, those are for the city cops, The beemers are for the County Sheriffs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen