I have to ask: should I upgrade to the 5s from the 4?

pktlouie

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I know this is a stupid question, but for me to upgrade, it's going to cost about $200-300USD. If I wait another year, I can probably get the iPhone 6 at a lesser price, but my god my iPhone 4 is slow.

If I put my mind to it, I can save up enough over the next year to also renew once the iPhone 6 comes out (ETF, plus other fees, it'll probably cost me over $600USD), but, I dunno, I've never had to ask these questions. For the first time, I'm at a loss.

Thoughts??!??!

P.S. - before you ask, why all these fees, my company has me stationed in M?xico, and Telcel pretty much charges you the phone as new even after 2.5 years of being with them and being out of contract for 6 months. Sucks, but oh well.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a stupid question, but for me to upgrade, it's going to cost about $200-300USD. If I wait another year, I can probably get the iPhone 6 at a lesser price, but my god my iPhone 4 is slow.

If I put my mind to it, I can save up enough over the next year to also renew once the iPhone 6 comes out (ETF, plus other fees, it'll probably cost me over $600USD), but, I dunno, I've never had to ask these questions. For the first time, I'm at a loss.

Thoughts??!??!

P.S. - before you ask, why all these fees, my company has me stationed in M?xico, and Telcel pretty much charges you the phone as new even after 2.5 years of being with them and being out of contract for 6 months. Sucks, but oh well.

Normally I say, only you can decide this, no one else can tell you, blah blah blah. But this time I will give you some things to consider. If you have held onto the 4 for this long, then you do not strike me as the person who needs to have the newest truest as soon as it becomes available. If that is true, you could go get the 5S that has a longer screen, much better camera, much better processor, much faster, much lighter, etc etc. It also happens to be the newest at this moment....though it won't be once the 6 is released, which you mentioned in your original post as being a possibility. In my opinion the 5S is a worthy upgrade from the iphone 4.

BUT, if you are a person who feels you might regret this decision once the 6 is announced, given there is a chance that it could have a new form factor and other goodies, then I say wait. But a year is likely what you will be waiting and that is a long time when working with a very slow phone. Either way, best of luck!

doublebullout

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The 5S is a gigantic step up from a 4, so the obvious and correct answer is "Yes." Unless I misunderstand your post, the upgrade cost to a 5S is $200-300 USD with Telcel, right? That's the same as in the US. If you can afford that, absolutely do it without further hesitation.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
If my 4s would have never broken, I'd still be using it. I didn't want to upgrade but I didn't have a choice.

IMO, if it works, why bother? Save your money.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I would. You could sell your 5s next year for more than $350 if you decide you want a 6.
Fist of all if he uses an upgrade he is locked in for 2 years so he would not be able to sell it next year unless he pays to get out of his contract and secondly...How can you or anyone predict the price of anything no matter what is is a year from now when so many factors at that time would go into it?

There is an obvious answer and that would be yes of course but it is on you to decide and not us, We can give opinions but also as I wrote up top responding to the other persons answer.

Fortheus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
You should. I come from 4.

IOS7 slow it down badly and the hardware is not worth to fix ( yellowish screen and not sensitive home button) 5s is 8 times faster than 4 with other spec updates, it's really worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaitokomauri

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Defo yes. And don't you dare install iOS 7 on the 4. It will slow it down immensely. iOS 7 is simply not made for the iphone 4 wonder why Apple allowed the upgrade.

tack

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Fist of all if he uses an upgrade he is locked in for 2 years so he would not be able to sell it next year unless he pays to get out of his contract and secondly...How can you or anyone predict the price of anything no matter what is is a year from now when so many factors at that time would go into it?

There is an obvious answer and that would be yes of course but it is on you to decide and not us, We can give opinions but also as I wrote up top responding to the other persons answer.

First, you don't have to be so dramatic with your response, and second don't be ignorant. Think before you respond. I based my answer in experience and past data.

I have done it several times. iPhones on the used market have consistently brought more than $350 for the previous year's model for like the last 4+ years. So don't act like it is out of bounds to assume it would not next year.

All you do is buy a new phone outright, not on contract. You switch your sim, sell your other phone, and you are in business. In the old days before LTE on Verizon you had to switch your ESN / MEID before selling the phone. This does not interrupt your contract.

If had any experience in this matter, you would know both of these. Please don't assume I am basing this on pure speculation.

Last edited:

Mr. Marco

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I myself went from the 4 to the 5S and the difference is huge. Not so sure the difference observed by those who went from the 5 to the 5S. But the 6 is enticing in that it should bring a new design, etc.

If you want to upgrade you definitely won't be making a bad choice. If you wait for the 6 you won't be making a bad choice either.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I would say absolutely if it is within your budget and you are ready for a new device. The 5s is very much faster in every way than the 4. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73