I'd love an iphone 5s but have a Sony Experia Z on contract till May 2015

erdingtonbelle1952

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Should I take out a 2nd contract on my account in order to get my mitts on a iPhone 5s or resist it?Would it be silly to have two phone contracts...does anyone else have two contracts?
I really regret taking out the Sony Z,All because at the time I couldn't wait until the iPhone 5s to be released.
Don't get me wrong the Sony is a good phone but I feel I just have to have iPhone 5s,my son has one & its a beautiful phone,so what should I do,wait,& get the iPhone 6 in May 1st 2015 when my Sony contract ends or take out a 2nd contract on my account?

What would you do,would you take out a second contract,does anyone take out another contract when they've already got a contract?Friends have told me its silly and foolish to have two mobile contracts,but is it?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
You can always sell it on Craigslist and use the money towards purchasing a 5s, I would think you could get between $250 - $300 depending on the condition of your device. Atleast that's what they go for in my neck of the woods.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Why not get the 5s on a 2nd line, sell the Sony Z. Then put the 2nd sim in a dumb phone cancel the data that way it only cost u $10 a month for the line. Just a thought. I know a few people who do this and they have an upgrade they can use every year.

Starchest

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you can sell your Sony, add a little cash and buy an unlocked iPhone 5s.

EDIT: Well I was kinda late wasn't I? :rotfl:

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Should I take out a 2nd contract on my account in order to get my mitts on a iPhone 5s or resist it?Would it be silly to have two phone contracts...does anyone else have two contracts?
I really regret taking out the Sony Z,All because at the time I couldn't wait until the iPhone 5s to be released.
Don't get me wrong the Sony is a good phone but I feel I just have to have iPhone 5s,my son has one & its a beautiful phone,so what should I do,wait,& get the iPhone 6 in May 1st 2015 when my Sony contract ends or take out a 2nd contract on my account?

What would you do,would you take out a second contract,does anyone take out another contract when they've already got a contract?Friends have told me its silly and foolish to have two mobile contracts,but is it?

Who is your carrier?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If it is anything like my Verizon plan, you can get a spare line and get your new iPhone 5S. On the day you take out the ghost line, you will have to add a data plan for $30 per month. But once you get the 5S on your line, you can register a basic phone to your ghost line, drop the data plan, and pay around $14 per month after taxes and fees. Over the course of 24 months, that will equate to approximately $336. Just by selling your Sony phone, you can have the 2 years of the ghost line covered.

If you really want to get tricky, you can keep the 5S, and your upgrade that comes due on your main line in May, until the iPhone 6 comes out. You could sell your 5S for a nice little profit, pay for the 6, and with the difference in addition to the money you are still holding onto by selling the Sony.......pay the early term fee and be done with the ghost line at that time. Good luck!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Save up money to buy out your contract or buy the 5S full retail...sell your Sony phone to do it if necessary. That seems like the most logical way to go about this without throwing money away to the carrier by adding a second line.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any suggestions on how to do it but if you like the 5s get it if it's financially possible right now. I've early terminated contracts in 2011,12 and 13. The first two was because the phones I had turned out to very bad. The last was to upgrade my 4s to a 5s. Now I'm on track to upgrade in 2015 to a possible 6s. I don't regret any of my early terminations. Those first two I wasn't satisfied with the device. I was very satisfied with the 4s. If you like your sons 5s you will love one of your own for sure.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site

Your first mistake was buying an Android. That's okay, we all make mistakes :D

And I would not take out a second contract just to get an iPhone. Sell the Z, expect to get lowballed, and then use the money toward a 5S.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
It all depends on your financial situation. Of you can afford to pay two lines and you are comfortable doing that... Do it. It's hard to get the opinions of others in this situation because everybody has a different financial view on something like that.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
The Z is a great piece of hardware, my only problem with Sony is how slow they are to the table with OS updates. I see more and more people with multiple phones because they want the latest & greatest. I would say that if you don't need two phones don't add the extra line. In the end you are paying much more... You could always save the $199 that you would spend on the down and sell your Z on Craigslist as I mentioned above, another thing you could try is posting an add on Craigslist that say's "WTT Sony Experia Z" ... You may find someone that will trade you a iPhone 5 for it, which IMO is still a fantastic device!

Ujjwal Agarwal

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
just sell the Z if you really want iphone 5s over it and ready to giveup all the advantages you get over it and buy a 5s off-contract best way!
and second option is you can keep up both the phones! everything depends on your financial situation if your rich and can afford & comfortable with it go for it otherwise NO
You should have also mentioned your willingness to spend :)

stalemate1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

...and the Sony z1 has just come out...OUCH!!!

Sell it and see if you can get enough for a second hand iPhone 5S....not sure you will get enough for a new one.

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Judging from the prices I have seen you could just sell the Z1 and then purchase a used 5S on Craigslist, or a service such as Swappa or eBay which you could also sell your phone on. I personally would sell and then buy off contract rather than open another line, but I'm not a fan of contracts =)

As others have said it all really depends on your financial situation. I you don't want to have to deal with buying a phone second hand, or have the cash to buy one straight from Apple, then contract may be your only option. I would seriously look into selling your phone and buying something second hand, you can get a great used phone and pay less than you would brand new.

TiredOfPhoneWar

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
dont take another contract. just sell your sony and buy apple and looking for the nano sim at your carrier shop and use the data on the sony to iphone,
for myself i dont use contract, i use prepaid it cost me only 20 per month and i can call and text free on wifi,i dont even use that 20 dollars,it still on my iphone5s unlocked,wifi is everywhere in the street,park,cafe,resto...

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

I have 2 contracts on 2 different carriers. One is Verizon and the other is AT&T