Is it OK to buy an iphone 5s on release day?

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, as i have mentioned in my other thread, I am buying an iphone 5s on 1st November, which is when it launches in my country. While I am super excited about it, I have a few apprehensions, bred in part, by my horrible experience of buying the Sony Xperia Z1 on launch day. In a nutshell, I bought the z1 immediately on release. Immediately, I regretted it. The display was horrible. It was incapable of displaying pure whites. There is a yellow tint on the whites which looks sickening. The much touted camera takes grainy pictures. When I took up the matter with sony, they refused to acknowledge the issue, saying it was a software problem and would be rectified. But when the update materialized, the problems remained. Now, I am selling the phone and buying the iphone 5s (my first). Here are my questions in that regard.

1. Is it possible that the first batch of phones which will release on launch day could have manufacturing defects, which would be later rectified after getting feedback? in other words, will the first customers be treated as guinea pigs?

2. I will be purchasing from an Apple Authorised Reseller. Is this safe?

3 . Should I wait a few months before buying so as to be assured of the quality of the product?

Please bear in mind that we dont have a "Genius Bar" in our country, which frankly sounds like a wonderful place :)

Thank you...

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Apple is well into manufacturing them... so there should be none of those "early off the production line" issues remaining...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi, as i have mentioned in my other thread, I am buying an iphone 5s on 1st November, which is when it launches in my country. While I am super excited about it, I have a few apprehensions, bred in part, by my horrible experience of buying the Sony Xperia Z1 on launch day. In a nutshell, I bought the z1 immediately on release. Immediately, I regretted it. The display was horrible. It was incapable of displaying pure whites. There is a yellow tint on the whites which looks sickening. The much touted camera takes grainy pictures. When I took up the matter with sony, they refused to acknowledge the issue, saying it was a software problem and would be rectified. But when the update materialized, the problems remained. Now, I am selling the phone and buying the iphone 5s (my first). Here are my questions in that regard.

1. Is it possible that the first batch of phones which will release on launch day could have manufacturing defects, which would be later rectified after getting feedback? in other words, will the first customers be treated as guinea pigs?

3 . Should I wait a few months before buying so as to be assured of the quality of the product?

Please bear in mind that we dont have a "Genius Bar" in our country, which frankly sounds like a wonderful place :)

Thank you...

1. I'm assuming that the phones that are released in your country will be newer than what was released here in USA.
I'm not aware of any manufacturing defects of the 5s.

2. Purchasing from a authorized is better than a non authorized.

3. There is no reason in my opinion to wait to buy one. In the end that decision is up to you.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for the quick responses.. :) its just that in our country there is no system of carrier contracts like the US. We purchase outright. So u guys can understand my caution. I spent the equivalent of 649 dollars on the z1, which I will now have to sell at a much lower price. And now iPhone 5S will cost me more than 849 dollars for the 16gb version. I saved up for this of course, but I ain't exactly bill Gates yet :)
I guess i ll take the plunge. :thumbup:
Sent from my C6902 using iMore Forums mobile app

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't know anything about the Sony phones.
I guess the top phones out there today are Apple,Samsung,HTC and Nokia. So when looking for a phone I would suggest a person look at these and narrow it from there. For me personally it's Apple and I'm totally satisfied with the 5s.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't know anything about the Sony phones.
I guess the top phones out there today are Apple,Samsung,HTC and Nokia. So when looking for a phone I would suggest a person look at these and narrow it from there. For me personally it's Apple and I'm totally satisfied with the 5s.

I have been with Samsung, Nokia and HTC (in the Windows mobile days).. I am on Sony now (regrettably).. Its time for me to jump to Apple.. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Anything is possible...but with the major markets already over a month into production, you are very unlikely to be getting any problematic first batch devices (though it should also be considered that only a very isolated few first batch devices had any issues at all...and that most of the complaints were software related, which has also been rectified with the most recent iOS firmware update 7.0.3).

Me personally, I try to only buy from Apple stores, but I'll venture into a Best Buy or carrier store if needed...I do not make purchases at the little privately owned multi-carrier kiosks or stores because in the past, I have noticed some really shady practices at such (IE: my dad bought an android phone at this little indian owned store, and he bought what was shown to him as a "new" phone...he got it home, and it had pictures, phone call history, all kinds of things on it...he took the back off of it and noticed that the battery was a generic knock off...he then noticed that the box wasn't even a matching serial # model...he sold him a used phone with a new casing...my dad flipped his sh*t and got his money back).

There is no reason for you to do this.

It is a beautiful thing to have two Apple stores within 5min. of me...that said, you always have Apple's online methods available to you, regardless of where you live. These devices can have problems, and if you needed warranty service, they are a simple phone call away. Understanding that, the 5S is a really great device, and most complaints you've probably read about were software related, and have been identified and primarily 'fixed'.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Anything is possible...but with the major markets already over a month into production, you are very unlikely to be getting any problematic first batch devices (though it should also be considered that only a very isolated few first batch devices had any issues at all...and that most of the complaints were software related, which has also been rectified with the most recent iOS firmware update 7.0.3).

Me personally, I try to only buy from Apple stores, but I'll venture into a Best Buy or carrier store if needed...I do not make purchases at the little privately owned multi-carrier kiosks or stores because in the past, I have noticed some really shady practices at such (IE: my dad bought an android phone at this little indian owned store, and he bought what was shown to him as a "new" phone...he got it home, and it had pictures, phone call history, all kinds of things on it...he took the back off of it and noticed that the battery was a generic knock off...he then noticed that the box wasn't even a matching serial # model...he sold him a used phone with a new casing...my dad flipped his sh*t and got his money back).

There is no reason for you to do this.

It is a beautiful thing to have two Apple stores within 5min. of me...that said, you always have Apple's online methods available to you, regardless of where you live. These devices can have problems, and if you needed warranty service, they are a simple phone call away. Understanding that, the 5S is a really great device, and most complaints you've probably read about were software related, and have been identified and primarily 'fixed'.

Funny you should mention a shady Indian store coz I am from india :eek:
I think, considering your comments, it won't be a huge risk for me to buy on launch day :)

TiredOfPhoneWar

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
apple product is well made they will not let it go if there was a defect ,and yes you should buy it in the first light of the day at the first line on the launching day, waiting will be a painful, thats what i did, i waited till 3 october and i feel like i die slowly,you should buy it in the authorised reseller:)

Alex_Hong

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If your country has Authorised Reseller, there will likely be an Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) much like in my country. So do find out about warranty status before you commit just to be safe. If there is anything I've learned from years of using Apple products from the first gen iPod Nano, to their laptops, to their phones, is that Apple has great manufacturing, as well as customer service. Even without a genius bar in my country, the AASP has guidelines to follow.

Even if there were minor issues like the calibration of the sensors, accelerometer etc, you can be sure that Apple will fix those, which they have already via software. And in the rare chance that there is a hardware fault, you can be sure that Apple will service the device for you. Apple is one of the most responsible company I know. Just last year I sent in my iPod Nano 1st gen which is many years old for a public recall program, they gave me a 6th gen iPod Nano as a replacement. Year ago when my 3 years old MBP suffered a graphics card failure, I found out it was a known manufacturing issue. They took my out of warranty MBP in and replaced the graphic cards again for free.

Point is, if there is a company whose product I always buy with ease no matter release day or not, it's Apple.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi people, I have one more question. I figured that i shouldn't start a new thread just for this.
I just went to the store today and they said I should order my iPhone 5S and they could get it for me in 2 days. But the gold one would take 2 weeks. I can't possibly wait that long (Coz I m like a kid on a Christmas morning when it comes to gadget) :) my question is, which colour out of the space gray and silver is better? Which would be more scratch resistant? I had heard reports that last year's black model was a scratch magnet..
I hope somebody is reading this thread... :)

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the space gray and it functions just as well. some like the light color of white which seems to "Blend? well with iOS 7.. User preference really.....

check out some of the other threads about how well each is holding up..

gvndeb60

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi people, I have one more question. I figured that i shouldn't start a new thread just for this.
I just went to the store today and they said I should order my iPhone 5S and they could get it for me in 2 days. But the gold one would take 2 weeks. I can't possibly wait that long (Coz I m like a kid on a Christmas morning when it comes to gadget) :) my question is, which colour out of the space gray and silver is better? Which would be more scratch resistant? I had heard reports that last year's black model was a scratch magnet..
I hope somebody is reading this thread... :)

I have yet to scratch my gray one, but my black 5 looked like I threw it down the street everyday. I cannot comment on the future durability, but if there is no apple store near you, or you don't plan on slapping it in a big case, it might be better to play it safe and go silver. I prefer the gray, but if I had to shell out $850, I would want my investment to look as new as possible for as long as possible.

Sent from my iPad

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple acknowledged an issue with some units of iPhone 5S have a faulty battery.. Are these phones only in the US or anywhere in the world? How can I make sure I get a fault free phone? How much time does it take to charge iPhone to the full?
Sorry too many questions but the nytimes article today scared me :p

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Re buying it on the first day -- there can be some issues, but it's actually been more than a month on the market, as others have noted.

Re Space Grey or Silver, I think you're fine either way -- it won't be like the black-and-slate iPhone 5 models. (The advantage of going with the s-cycle!)

Re sources -- I'd want to make sure it's an Apple Authorized seller, rather than going to a small third party. Don't want fakes.

Re the battery issue -- I _think_ you should be fine, in that Apple knows which models are problematic from their side, so they'd be pulled and replaced before sale. Or should be. If you're NOT sure, then go for a gold model, because those are back-ordered and therefore will be coming fresh from the factory. :p

As a Canadian-based buyer, I bought AppleCare+ for my new phone (which I paid full price for, $919, at a Best Buy). But had I chosen not to, I am comfortable with the out-of-warranty replacement fees, which are somewhere around $250 for a replacement phone (so essentially replacement at cost to them). Far better and easier to deal with that than other companies whose products are really hard to find replacement units for.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2