Hard reset or clean reboot

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, got the phone on monday but ever since I got it I wanted to do a clean reboot. It came with 7.0.3 on it right out of the box...

Nothing is wrong with it as far as I'm aware... Maybe a little abnormal battery drain when on WiFi and playing games for a really short time, but I don't know if it's happening to everybody.

Anyway, how can I do a safe clean reboot? You know, wipe EVERYTHING and start from 0. I rather do it now that I barely got the phone and don't have much of anything

Thanks!

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what's wrong with the phone. What is wrong?

Like I said in my first post, there's nothing really bad going on with it. Just an abnormal battery drain while on wifi or playing a game for a couple of minutes.

It came with 7.0.3 out of the box, which I found kind of weird... So I just wanted to do a clean sweep and start everything again now that I don't have many apps, pics and whatnot.

Thank you for the answers!

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Like I said in my first post, there's nothing really bad going on with it. Just an abnormal battery drain while on wifi or playing a game for a couple of minutes.

It came with 7.0.3 out of the box, which I found kind of weird... So I just wanted to do a clean sweep and start everything again now that I don't have many apps, pics and whatnot.

Thank you for the answers!

Ok so resetting all settings will fix your issue. Why go through the trouble of erasing the whole phone? Resetting all settings to factory basically defrags the phone.

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Ok so resetting all settings will fix your issue. Why go through the trouble of erasing the whole phone? Resetting all settings to factory basically defrags the phone.

So what's the option I have to choose? Reset all settings or Reset all content and settings?

Won't reset settings just set everything back like it was when out of the box? You think that'll fix the little problems I have?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So what's the option I have to choose? Reset all settings or Reset all content and settings?

Won't reset settings just set everything back like it was when out of the box? You think that'll fix the little problems I have?
If you want to return the device to its native state, select "Reset All Contents and Settings". If you want to re-install iOS 7.0.3, put your device in DFU mode, connect it to your computer via USB and then select "Restore" via iTunes.

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
If you want to return the device to its native state, select "Reset All Contents and Settings". If you want to re-install iOS 7.0.3, put your device in DFU mode, connect it to your computer via USB and then select "Restore" via iTunes.

Gotcha Just, thanks!

Generally what's the rule of thumb for reseting or reinstalling? I heard people reinstall every big iOS update and others just reset...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Gotcha Just, thanks!

Generally what's the rule of thumb for reseting or reinstalling? I heard people reinstall every big iOS update and others just reset...

There is none. It's basically preference-based. If it is a minor update (from iOS 7.0.2 to 7.0.3, for example), I will update OTA (over the air), but a few days later I will usually backup my device, delete the current .ipsw file from my device, put my device in DFU mode and restore it via iTunes. iTunes will download and install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version. Doing this is not necessary, but it is what I prefer. If it is a major update, I will definitely do what I just described. I truly believe that this method has prevented me from experiencing the many problems I read about via the forums. I don't have any proof to back it up, however. ;)

Last edited:

kevinarguello

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
There is none. It's basically preference-based. If it is a minor update (from iOS 7.0.2 to 7.0.3, for example), I will update OTA (over the air), but a few days later I will usually backup my device, delete the current .ipsw file from my device, put my device in DFU mode and restore it via iTunes. iTunes will download and install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version. Doing this is not necessary, but it is what I prefer. If it is a major update, I will definitely do what I just described. I truly believe that this method has prevented me from experiencing the many problems I read about via the forums. I don't have any proof to back it up, however. ;)

Not a biggy, I definitely trust you with this matters my friend.

Thanks again for the explanations

Last edited by a moderator:

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes it is preference based. I prefer resetting all settings. It fixes up and cleans out the phone.

Only time I would restore as new is if I want to start from scratch.

Sean Aaron

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
DFU stands for: Device Firmware Upgrade.

DFU mode is a state that allows you to put your iPhone to interface with iTunes, but does not load iOS operating system or boot loader. That?s the main difference between DFU mode and recovery mode.

What is DFU mode used for?

DFU mode can be used for multiple things including upgrading firmware, downgrading firmware, and even rebooting your tethered jailbroken device. So, here?s a step by step tutorial on how to do it.

How to enter DFU mode:

- Plug your device into your computer
- Turn off the device by holding the Sleep/Wake or Power button and swiping it off
- Hold the power button for 3 seconds
- Begin holding the Home button without releasing the Sleep/Power button for 10 seconds
- Release the power button and continue holding the home button until you get a popup from iTunes that your device is recognized as being in recovery mode.

That?s it, you?re in DFU mode. If you get stuck in DFU mode and need to get out, just hold the power button and home button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears.

This process works for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad so no matter what iOS device you?re using

How to exit DFU mode:

If you want to exit DFU mode, hold down the Sleep/Wake or Power button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

**HINT: IF you ever get stuck on the apple logo on a boot loop because you have installed an app or tweak that is incompatible, you can bypass this loop and go into Safe Mode and remove the app or tweak that's causing the problem by holding up the "volume up" button during start up. Keep holding it up after you initially power it on and keep holding until you see the lock screen. NOTE: This works only for Jailboken phones. Those with apple approved phones and are still limited to what they can do, look, and paying for apps, then you're out of luck. ;) One of many tricks to prevent a full out restore. Take that Apple.

Hope this answers your question. :yes:

JakePleasants

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, got the phone on monday but ever since I got it I wanted to do a clean reboot. It came with 7.0.3 on it right out of the box...

Nothing is wrong with it as far as I'm aware... Maybe a little abnormal battery drain when on WiFi and playing games for a really short time, but I don't know if it's happening to everybody.

Anyway, how can I do a safe clean reboot? You know, wipe EVERYTHING and start from 0. I rather do it now that I barely got the phone and don't have much of anything

Thanks!

This is very much off topic, but if that's you in your avatar, then I'd like to just take a moment to sincerely thank you for your service to our country. It doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated.

yungboi

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Try calibrating the battery. Let it drain fully when it dies charge it then fully. That should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro