Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

Default 5S home button clicking

Anyone else have their home/touch id button click when you press it. It feels like it's harder to press down and it has a very audible click. Everything works fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: 5S home button clicking

I actually have not encountered this issue.
    However, I have read one article recently from a site similar to iMore where the editor shared your concern. Specifically, he noticed that only sometimes, when he pressed the home button, he could hear a slight "crunch", not unlike the sound of the flex cables or something underneath the button being caught. He has noted no problems, though, just a small concern about it.
    iMore Intermediate

Mine has a rather audible click. Doesn't cause me any issues and I actually like the audio feedback from it. Sort of like a confirmation it's been clicked lol.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

Oh okay glad I'm not the only one with the problem. I mean it's not bothering me since everything works. I don't want to take it in and they replace it since I rather stay away from refurbished models

iMore Newbie

I have the iphone 5, but a couple weeks ago I went into the local apple store and noticed that 2 or 3 of the displayed 5s's had a much louder "click" then my 5. I tried the 5c's and they didn't click any more than a 5. I thought it might have been from the touch id component or maybe just because those phones are played with and tested soooo much every single day. Interesting seeing buyers have that issue as well.
    iMore Intermediate

Mine clicks loudly too. I didn't know whether to take it back or not. My 4s and ipad mini are silent when clicking. Any thoughts?
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by iwoodland View Post
    Mine clicks loudly too. I didn't know whether to take it back or not. My 4s and ipad mini are silent when clicking. Any thoughts?
    your 4s and ipad mini dont have Touch ID...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

The wife's silver iPhone 5s has no click at all.
    JKsteven likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

It's normal.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
    Mitsubishi G310 -> Vtech A700 -> LG 6190 -> LG125 -> Samsung flip -> Moto Razr -> Blackberry Curve 8300 -> Blackberry Curve 8330 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4s -> iPhone 5s
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    iOS Version

yep mine has the audible click, and so did my iphone 5. I actually really like the click. feels really hearty compared to the mushy click my 4 had
    Current Apple Devices : MacBook Pro 13" (i7-2012) | iPhone 6 128gb Space Grey (VZ) | iPad Air 128gb White (VZ) | iPod Classic 160gb | Apple TV | Mac mini (2011)
    iMore Beginner

Both my 5s and mini click. I've had mini for months with no problems so I'd say its a non issue.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    398 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunjy View Post
    The wife's silver iPhone 5s has no click at all.
    This being said, the home button on my 5 clicks. It doesn't affect the functionality at all, so it doesn't bother me.
    iMore Intermediate

Mine clicks and I don't mind. I had a space gray and now I have a gold one, both have done it. I assume it's got to do with the Touch ID sensor.
    Last edited by neurodave; 10-29-2013 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Typo

Global Posts
    2,286 Global Posts
    iOS Version

If you search on this thread, you'll see a older post about the same thing. It was a lot of different and interesting feedback.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    240 Global Posts

All the 5S iPhones click when pushing Home Button. Im so Anal I use my Assistance Touch most of the time rather than the Home Button. I've heard the older iPhones weakest feature was their Home Button, so since new I've used Assistance Touch to get back to Home, exit apps and shut down Home Screen. Probably way over board but just hate replacement phones.
    Vinny

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    iMore Nanite

I've got this problem on my iPhone 5s Space Gray. The home button seems to be making a loud clicking noise on the way up. Compared it with two other 5s phones: one other Space Gray - the clicking noise is not as loud and more uniform on the way down and up - and another Silver - also has a fairly loud clicking noise, but on the way down, not up. Accordingly, it appears that all 5s phones are different, not uniform. The loud clicking noise on the way up is annoying the living hell out of me. It's a Sprint phone; I also visited a Sprint store, and the staff memeber there was not able to tell the difference between my 5s Space Gray and another 5s he had on display. As a result, I have a tendency to think this is more likely a flaw/oversight in the phone design, not a "normal" feature of 5s like some have commented earlier on this forum.

Has anyone had a positive experience bringing their 5s to an Apple store and exchanging it to get rid of the issue for good? Or do they all click? I'm starting to really consider a visit to the Apple store.
    iMore Nanite

it is not a serious problem,easy to solve
    iMore Nanite

Default 5S home button clicking

Quote Originally Posted by JKsteven View Post
    it is not a serious problem,easy to solve
    How did you solve this?

I had an instance where the home button sounded really stiff, chunky & plastic'y on my 5s for about an hour. It clicked on the down and up motions.

I was outside in cold weather at the time. It has since gone away. But too this day I fear it could come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Nanite

Those claiming they like the sound are probably self absorbed. Try using the phone in public or a waiting room and people are hearing that annoying clicking sound. It's pretentious and distracting to those around you.

Not only that but the 5S power buttons are all loose so they rattle when you shake the phone, especially when filming video. The LCD panels are also much lower quality and produce a yellowish hue on white backgrounds.

Apple's quality control is suffering and I think they used cheaper parts/methods in exchange for implementing the TouchID button.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis4670 View Post
    Those claiming they like the sound are probably self absorbed. Try using the phone in public or a waiting room and people are hearing that annoying clicking sound. It's pretentious and distracting to those around you.

Not only that but the 5S power buttons are all loose so they rattle when you shake the phone, especially when filming video. The LCD panels are also much lower quality and produce a yellowish hue on white backgrounds.

Apple's quality control is suffering and I think they used cheaper parts/methods in exchange for implementing the TouchID button.
    Everything in your post is wrong. My power button does not rattle when taking video or ever. Just because someone else likes the sound of a clicking home button does not make them self absorb. Also my 5 nor 5S have a yellow tint. Furthermore I have not seen anyone's who's is. If yours is suffering from any of these have it swapped, kid that's not an option and it bothers you that much get another phone altogether.
    Sent from my fingers touching the screen.
    iMore Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by 1DApple View Post
    Everything in your post is wrong. My power button does not rattle when taking video or ever. Just because someone else likes the sound of a clicking home button does not make them self absorb. Also my 5 nor 5S have a yellow tint. Furthermore I have not seen anyone's who's is. If yours is suffering from any of these have it swapped, kid that's not an option and it bothers you that much get another phone altogether.
    I don't understand how the rattling power button and the click'y home button doesn't bother some people.

Even if they do not take away from the phones functionality, these issues give the phone a cheapend feel.

With such an expensive phone these issues will always linger in the back of my head.

Call me nitpicky but there are certain cases I will avoid because they feature an exposed power button. I cringe when I hear or feel that thing wiggling around.

larsonage likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,161 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by RobertAdams313 View Post
    Anyone else have their home/touch id button click when you press it. It feels like it's harder to press down and it has a very audible click. Everything works fine though.

You know what... Mine does too exactly what you are describing and I decided to do absolutely nothing about it because there are way too may people that have the same thing. To me it is neither an issue or a problem and my 5S works flawlessly and has since the day I have owned in since Nov.
    Sometimes you ignore what you think there is something wrong and just take what in your words work fine to the OP of course this is directed. When it works don't mess with it and don't worry about it. Simple as that. Good luck with your new phone.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,027 Global Posts
    iOS Version

In order for me to hear any clicking I have to hold my 5S up to my ear.

I don't have any loose buttons.
    Maybe I got lucky. I've had every S iPhone and only one developed a issue. The 3S I had the headphone jack cut out.

I tried a family members 5S a while back and couldn't hear the clicking. I got mine about 3 days after launch my family got it October 31.
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    188 Global Posts

Now since I had the phone more it seemed like it would only happen when it was in the cold weather for some time other than that it was fine. Since I stay in my heated car it haven't had that issue in a while and the phone still works flawlessly and I love it.

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    734 Global Posts

I have no issues at all with my 5s. I've only had it a day but no issues. It feels extremely well made. I did have an issue with the clicking home button on my 5 a while ago. I took it in and they replaced the screen. The button worked perfect after that. If I end up with any issues like that with this phone I will take it in. I've only had a couple issues over the years and Apple always takes care of the problem. Great service.

Sent from my iPhone 5s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast