Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Default Activation Locked iPhone DFU Mode

I bought an iPhone on eBay and out of the box it was activation locked. I opened a case but lost on account that a) I received the item and b) the seller claimed he didn't activation lock the iPhone. I feel pretty bad that I'm now stuck with the most popular paper weight.
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: Activation Locked iPhone DFU Mode

I don't believe there is any known way around the activation lock. Given that it was used by the seller, they would do what anyone would do before selling the device, and that is just do a full wipe of the device. The thing is with iOS 7, if the user is signed into iCloud with Find my iPhone left on when the device is wiped, it automatically activation locks. That's why the seller is saying they didn't activation lock it, because it automatically does it itself. At this point, I think you're out of luck.

Global Posts
    6,974 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

The seller should know the password associated with the iCloud account that is locking the phone (assuming they own the phone or got it legitimately).
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Karenkcoulter View Post
    The seller should know the password associated with the iCloud account that is locking the phone (assuming they own the phone or got it legitimately).
    Since I disputed it and eBay ruled in the seller's favour. He doesn't see the need to 'provide any personal information regarding the iPhone'

Global Posts
    22,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by miwaca View Post
    Since I disputed it and eBay ruled in the seller's favour. He doesn't see the to 'provide any personal information regarding the iPhone'
    Have the seller login to iCloud.com/#find and erase the phone, and then select "remove from account" afterwards. That should allow you to use the device.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Have the seller login to iCloud.com/#find and erase the phone, and then select "remove from account" afterwards.
    To be quite honest with you I don't think he's the original owner. The real owner would've had this resolved a long time ago.

Global Posts
    6,974 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

To be quite honest with you I don't think he's the original owner. The real owner would've had this resolved a long time ago.
    This. I'm guessing the seller is selling a stolen or other illegitimately gotten phone.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Which brings me to the previous question: Isn't there some bypass??
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,995 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Does EBay know that if the seller can't activation unlock it. It was not his phone to sell?That it was either lost or stolen?

#Naked Tuesday
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    EmceeGeek likes this.
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,995 Global Posts
    iOS Version

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

#Naked Tuesday
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"

Global Posts
    22,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yeah, I got that feeling to, but gave him the benefit of the doubt.
    This. I'm guessing the seller is selling a stolen or other illegitimately gotten phone.
    I agree
    Not that I'm aware of.

Global Posts
    22,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iEd View Post
    They all lead to the steps I outlined above. The previous owner must login to iCloud to erase it and then remove the device from his or her account.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

No. That would circumvent both the function and intent of the activation lock - to prevent the unauthorized reuse of a stolen iPhone.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,995 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Seems like eBay needs to change their deal on how iPhones are sold through them.
    It's impossible for a buyer to see if a phone is activation locked through a eBay listing.

#Naked Tuesday
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    9,254 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iEd View Post
    Seems like eBay needs to change their deal on how iPhones are sold through them.
    It's impossible for a buyer to see if a phone is activation locked through a eBay listing.

#Naked Tuesday
    all you can do is request a picture of the phone's icloud screen showing an account is NOT logged in and deleted off the device.
    Veizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Gray
    iPad Mini 16GB Black
    iPod 4 64GB Black
    My CrackBerry Marketplace feedback!!
    iMore Intermediate

Do a charge back on ur credit card
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

I bought an iPhone on eBay and out of the box it was activation locked. I opened a case but lost on account that a) I received the item and b) the seller claimed he didn't activation lock the iPhone. I feel pretty bad that I'm now stuck with the most popular paper weight.
    I would call eBay and if you paid with paypal dispute the charge with them also.
    I don't see how you lost your eBay case .. Just open a item not as described if his ad did not say it was activation locked then you should win .. Under his action to take say refund and you will return phones or provide accurate data to make the item as described.

I would also as a ditch effort go talk to apple and bring all prove you bought the phone on eBay etc .. I mean come on we all know apple is the only ones that can bypass this.
    EmceeGeek and newsman787 like this.
    iMore Nanite

Aw man, I have this problem also (((

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I've always know eBay to take the side of the person who purchased the item. Glad I don't deal with them anymore. They screwed me over big time over a $800 iPhone. Buyer got it, claimed he didn't and very idiotically for the first time, I didn't get insurance. Meh.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5

Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I HIGHLY doubt this person is the original owner. Sadly

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iMore Nanite

I'd purchase Applecare and smash that phone. There is a way to do it as I recently went through it, unfortunately I don't remember the steps I took when troubleshooting this with Apple support. However this happened on one of my phones and I already knew the icloud password so not sure this applies.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    538 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
    I'd purchase Applecare and smash that phone. There is a way to do it as I recently went through it, unfortunately I don't remember the steps I took when troubleshooting this with Apple support. However this happened on one of my phones and I already knew the icloud password so not sure this applies.
    Under normal circumstances, you can usually only purchase AppleCare+ if; 1) it is within 30 days of the phone's original sales date according to Apple's records. 2) you have valid proof of purchase. and 3) you get the phone physically inspected at an Apple Store, or submit remote diagnostic information during application by telephone.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    1,871 Global Posts

No way you should have lost that case. I'd try an item not as described or file one with PayPal. This feature is to circumvent thieves selling stolen goods. Obviously ebay is behind on ios7 technology. Good luck hope it works out in your favor.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Wow that's crazy. eBay and PayPal usually go above and beyond to protect buyers
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by curvezzz View Post
    No way you should have lost that case. I'd try an item not as described or file one with PayPal. This feature is to circumvent thieves selling stolen goods. Obviously ebay is behind on ios7 technology. Good luck hope it works out in your favor.
    There is more to the op story that we are not hearing i sell on eBay all the time even a power seller status and something doesn't sound right
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast