Activation Locked iPhone DFU Mode

curvezzz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought an iPhone on eBay and out of the box it was activation locked. I opened a case but lost on account that a) I received the item and b) the seller claimed he didn't activation lock the iPhone. I feel pretty bad that I'm now stuck with the most popular paper weight.

No way you should have lost that case. I'd try an item not as described or file one with PayPal. This feature is to circumvent thieves selling stolen goods. Obviously ebay is behind on ios7 technology. Good luck hope it works out in your favor.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
No way you should have lost that case. I'd try an item not as described or file one with PayPal. This feature is to circumvent thieves selling stolen goods. Obviously ebay is behind on ios7 technology. Good luck hope it works out in your favor.

There is more to the op story that we are not hearing i sell on eBay all the time even a power seller status and something doesn't sound right

Rusty Mover

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
It isn`t rocket science - The seller has obviously bought a used iPhone on IOS 7 to sell on to the OP. The seller slipped up by not making sure it was deactivated from the original owners itunes account. As more people become aware of this, it will be like a ticking time bomb for all iphone owners.

Maybe the seller didnt get their details. Maybe the seller did a Checkmend check which would have hown everything is legitimate (if in the UK).

The problem is eBay not staying up to date with latest industry developments and a lack of vigilance on the sellers part.

The OP needs to ring eBay and speak to them directly. Forget going through the website - speak to them!

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It isn`t rocket science - The seller has obviously bought a used iPhone on IOS 7 to sell on to the OP. The seller slipped up by not making sure it was deactivated from the original owners itunes account. As more people become aware of this, it will be like a ticking time bomb for all iphone owners.

Maybe the seller didnt get their details. Maybe the seller did a Checkmend check which would have hown everything is legitimate (if in the UK).

The problem is eBay not staying up to date with latest industry developments and a lack of vigilance on the sellers part.

The OP needs to ring eBay and speak to them directly. Forget going through the website - speak to them!

I can’t really argue much, except to say "caveat emptor". The old adage "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" also applies. eBay needs to step up and revise it’s procedures, as does Paypal... but ultimately, the responsibility rests with the buyer. Know what you’re doing... know what you’re buying...

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
I can’t really argue much, except to say "caveat emptor". The old adage "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" also applies. eBay needs to step up and revise it’s procedures, as does Paypal... but ultimately, the responsibility rests with the buyer. Know what you’re doing... know what you’re buying...

Sad but true,

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
If I didn't care about using Paypal/Ebay again, I'd do a chargeback on the credit card in a situation like this.

It isn't the buyer's fault per se -- there's no way to know ahead of time.

It sucks. On the other hand, being the person whose iDevice was stolen sucks, too. (Had an iPad stolen a couple of years ago.)

This is why I tend not to buy these things via eBay. Need to see the device in person to verify it works.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
There is more to the op story that we are not hearing i sell on eBay all the time even a power seller status and something doesn't sound right

I agree, buyer usually wins by default on ebay .. One of the reasons I no longer sell phones on the site, I have had people dispute devices and win without any regard to my defense as a seller. Something odd with this particular circumstance.

cctpitts01

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Which brings me to the previous question: Isn't there some bypass??

Unfortunately there is no bypass :( on IOS 6 all you had to do was a device wipe but now in order to do the wipe you need the info that was associated with the device to initiate the wipe. I think EBay should make a policy that if anyone is going to sell an IOS device that has been updated to IOS 7 they need to make sure the device has been completely removed from the previous users account or they have to refund the purchase price plus s/h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philbo007

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Activation Lockss and sunset clauses

Yep, have messaged eBay about getting up to speed with sellers selling bricks as iPhones, iPads and Touches.
I mentioned some onus is on them as the agent in the transaction. Will they react? Your best guess on that.
As stated here, some new owners are themselves unaware they were sold a "time bomb".
I'm not happy with a seller for not explicitly stating a bought device is a brick although with the broken screen,
they have a "get out of jail" card in that it was sold "As Is"
But, it's not just me; there are more and more people getting stung every minute by this new feature.
It's a good feature and my wife and I have it active on our iPhones, but it is weighed down by its "foreverness".
I contacted Apple twice over this issue, requesting and explaining some changes to the Activation Lock that would
put the onus back on the original owner to unlock legitimately sold/transferred devices but also at the least make
them aware that:
a) an attempt to restore the device was made on an unauthorized computer and that as the device is still locked,
did they wish to release it?
AND/OR
b) the device will be released in (xxx time frame) for full restore unless reactivated by the owner.

It's human nature to forget these inconsequential bits of everyday life; it's difficult enough now with the myriad of PIN
numbers, usernames, passwords and the like. I do not need to look in a crystal ball to know that these stories of woe
will only grow and grow in number and sure as little green apples it will be Apple that suffers quite publicly and could
possibly end up in court over it when some hot shot buys a case of bricked devices that Apple refuse to release.
Apple will suffer it's hard won good will but it certainly will not be the forgetful, blissfully unaware owner/locker!
"Watch This Space" as they say.
philbo007

Last edited:

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Imagine having a stolen iPhone released without owners consent due to loophole? That would be worse for apple than it is now. Not gonna happen.

barrinha

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Pay with Paypal but with your credit card, in these cases, if Paypal does not help you, call your credit card and they will refund your money! It happened with me when I Purchased a Phone that had been reported STOLEN, ebay/paypal sided with the criminal, I just had to call my visa and got my $400.00 Back!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Simple solution here...contact PayPal about the situation (be forewarned that eBay and PayPal are the same company for all intents and purposes). If they won't refund your money, contact your bank or CC company and they WILL refund your money. You can get your money back some way...don't let eBay push you around.

vix2012

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's hard luck and unfortunately there are many other similar stories of innocent people affected by those who sell stolen items.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2