Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
Like Tree54Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Sekelani Zwambila's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,003 Posts

    Default Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    I'm starting to understand why the gold 5S is in demand. We all know it's because of the colour and what is signifies. Gold is symbolic of loyalty, royalty and statue.
    A device with such values makes the whole experience of a phone phenomenal.
    I haven't seen any other phone in the market who has done this.
    The other day I decided to rock the phone without a case. I went to a fashion conference and noticed most of the designers all had the gold. I asked them why they choose to buy it. They all said " it defines your statue, and it has become a trend"
    So this whole experience of gold is to obey a trend?
    Just like the way clothing evolves and becomes trendy today.
    All of my fashion friends have iPhones and they all gold.
    I believe this is becoming a new chapter of what a phone is.
    It's sort of a revolution.......
    To others it may seem stupid.
    Once again apple has used this smart marketing strategy..
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 10-26-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Thread title edited for clarity.
    nikkisharif likes this.
  2. #2  
    EmceeGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    All of that from a phone, ay?


    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    tuffy100 likes this.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Sekelani Zwambila's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,003 Posts

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    All of that from a phone, ay?


    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Yeah. It's pretty crazy. Fashion is all about how something looks and functions. It's not just clothing but objects that define class and architecture
    nikkisharif likes this.
  4. #4  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,014 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    The white 3GS did this...and then again when they finally offered the white iPhone 4. I don't think it has anything to do with being a fashion statement, and is more popular because it was the least available combined with the fact that it was a totally different color that what has been offered in every other iPhone release. This does not define this iPhone, it's still an incredible device and near flawless experience for the user. The idea that a person has something more unique than others...it really doesn't reflect any kind of fashion statement (in my opinion) as much as it defines a human characteristic of wanting to stand out from the crowd.

    We also haven't a clue what % of iPhones produced were gold...if it was significantly less, simple lack of supply should be added to the reasoning for the craze, as people always swarm towards things that are in limited supply. For instance, the Xbox One sold out insanely fast when pre-orders were made available...and now, people are paying ridiculous amounts for a gaming system that isn't even close to being released yet (like 2-3 times the value of the system just to get the system on release day). I think it's safe to say the Xbox One is not a fashion statement...but it's experiencing the same trend.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    EmceeGeek (10-25-2013)
    EmceeGeek and taz323 like this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Sekelani Zwambila's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,003 Posts

    Default The Gold iPhone 5S has become more of an accessory and fashion statement than...

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    The white 3GS did this...and then again when they finally offered the white iPhone 4. I don't think it has anything to do with being a fashion statement, and is more popular because it was the least available combined with the fact that it was a totally different color that what has been offered in every other iPhone release. This does not define this iPhone, it's still an incredible device and near flawless experience for the user. The idea that a person has something more unique than others...it really doesn't reflect any kind of fashion statement as much as it defines a human characteristic of wanting to stand out from the crowd.

    We also haven't a clue what % of iPhones produced were gold...if it was significantly less, simple lack of supply should be added to the reasoning for the craze, as people always swarm towards things that are in limited supply. For instance, the Xbox One sold out insanely fast when pre-orders were made available...and now, people are paying ridiculous amounts for a gaming system that isn't even close to being released yet (like 2-3 times the value of the system just to get the system on release day). I think it's safe to say the Xbox One is not a fashion statement...but it's experiencing the same trend.
    You got some valid points. Taken form a consumer who is in the fashion industry, I would know what fashion designers find stylish and trendy in the technology world.
    Most designers I know find the whole experience and build quality luxurious in an iPhone. Having the gold set the norm to another level and distinguished a difference between other phone platforms.

    THIS is a fashion statement to designers, they find the whole experience in having a gold sensory home button classy with gold edges and the back.
    It's all about attention to detail in ever product produced in fashion, that's what we as designers admire in the gold.
    It sets the difference and distinguishes who got it first and who has the golden eye!!
    In most movies iPhones are used, especially in fashion videos, shoots and magazines.
    So this is a FASHION statement
  6. #6  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,014 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sekelani Zwambila View Post
    You got some valid points. Taken form a consumer who is in the fashion industry, I would know what fashion designers find stylish and trendy in the technology world.
    Most designers I know find the whole experience and build quality luxurious in an iPhone. Having the gold set the norm to another level and distinguished a difference between other phone platforms.

    THIS is a fashion statement to designers, they find the whole experience in having a gold sensory home button classy with gold edges and the back.
    It's all about attention to detail in ever product produced in fashion, that's what we as designers admire in the gold.
    It sets the difference and distinguishes who got it first and who has the golden eye!!
    In most movies iPhones are used, especially in fashion videos, shoots and magazines.
    So this is a FASHION statement
    So if I come from the automotive world, and apply the same logic...this is an AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN STATEMENT.

    Let's take it a little deeper...if the gold wasn't offered, and it was the space grey one (obviously the 2nd favored color) that was in limited supply, you'd say the same exact thing about it, but you'd spin it in a way that reflected the colors offered on the space grey phone. There's nothing extraordinarily different about the gold model that some how strikes the heart of the fashion world...it's just new, and still hard to find...THIS is why it is popular.

    You have to sit back and look at it from a general perspective...most people who buy this phone (or any phone) are not "fashion aficionados", they aren't sitting around using terms like "having the golden eye" or whatever it was you said before. They're just people, and they want the new toy, and they want the one that sets them apart from the next guy as much as possible, and they see hype, so they are drawn to it. You said fashion is why the gold 5S is in demand...but a staggering majority of the people buying this variant of iPhone are not interested in fashion at all man, it's in demand, as a whole, for a different reason.

    If I asked a den of crack dealers why they wanted the gold iPhone 5S, they might answer that it's because it reminds them of the stacks of money they make selling crack...should we then apply your logic and say that the iPhone is popular because it represents drug money? Seems pretty ridiculous right? I rest my case.

    And out of curiosity, your title is kind of an open ended question that you never fully addressed...care to finish answering it? It's more of an accessory and fashion statement than _____? (what?)
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  7. #7  
    EmceeGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    1,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,709 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    So if I come from the automotive world, and apply the same logic...this is an AUTOMOTIVE DESIGN STATEMENT.

    Let's take it a little deeper...if the gold wasn't offered, and it was the space grey one (obviously the 2nd favored color) that was in limited supply, you'd say the same exact thing about it, but you'd spin it in a way that reflected the colors offered on the space grey phone. There's nothing extraordinarily different about the gold model that some how strikes the heart of the fashion world...it's just new, and still hard to find...THIS is why it is popular.

    You have to sit back and look at it from a general perspective...most people who buy this phone (or any phone) are not "fashion aficionados", they aren't sitting around using terms like "having the golden eye" or whatever it was you said before. They're just people, and they want the new toy, and they want the one that sets them apart from the next guy as much as possible, and they see hype, so they are drawn to it. You said fashion is why the gold 5S is in demand...but a staggering majority of the people buying this variant of iPhone are not interested in fashion at all man, it's in demand, as a whole, for a different reason.

    If I asked a den of crack dealers why they wanted the gold iPhone 5S, they might answer that it's because it reminds them of the stacks of money they make selling crack...should we then apply your logic and say that the iPhone is popular because it represents drug money? Seems pretty ridiculous right? I rest my case.

    And out of curiosity, your title is kind of an open ended question that you never fully addressed...care to finish answering it? It's more of an accessory and fashion statement than _____? (what?)
    HAHAHA love this guy. Couldn't have said it better myself. That's why I said "you got all of that from a phone?" I remember when all the white phones before the 5 was that way. Especially with the 4, and they only had black at launch. Caused a frenzy. (Like you said before). Gold is the same way, has nothing to do with fashion. Not sure of the importance he's trying to pinpoint here. We get it, you're a fashion something and your friends, that's great but I've seen nature driven guys who camp, hike, etc with a gold iPhone 5S. I only want gold because it's a color I never had. Next year I might not want it even. If fashion was the case you'd see more people having gold plated 5's.


    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
  8. #8  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,014 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    HAHAHA love this guy. Couldn't have said it better myself. That's why I said "you got all of that from a phone?" I remember when all the white phones before the 5 was that way. Especially with the 4, and they only had black at launch. Caused a frenzy. (Like you said before). Gold is the same way, has nothing to do with fashion. Not sure of the importance he's trying to pinpoint here. We get it, you're a fashion something and your friends, that's great but I've seen nature driven guys who camp, hike, etc with a gold iPhone 5S. I only want gold because it's a color I never had. Next year I might not want it even. If fashion was the case you'd see more people having gold plated 5's.


    Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    To be fair, I'm sure he and his circles DO view it as a fashion statement...but those kind of people view almost everything as a fashion statement. You accidentally wear mismatched socks to work one day and you just revolutionized the fashion world for a year.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    Sekelani Zwambila's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,003 Posts

    Default The Gold iPhone 5S has become more of an accessory and fashion statement than...

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    To be fair, I'm sure he and his circles DO view it as a fashion statement...but those kind of people view almost everything as a fashion statement. You accidentally wear mismatched socks to work one day and you just revolutionized the fashion world for a year.
    .
    Im judging my points from observation and from what people from different fashion backgrounds said.
    These people are rich, cultured and trendy.
    They not my friends but acquaintances I see who attend fashion shows.
    What do you even know about fashion?
    A Products design can be the same, but when something like a different colour comes into play, it can change the perception of what we think about that product.
    Like, we all know forks are silver, but if you got ahold of gold forks your perception may change depending on what you think about " gold" itself.
    Get my drift?
    Some people may disagree, but from careful observation and conversation I got results.
    I'm a nerd and creative in mind. I like to ask questions and socialise.

    Yes to answer your question about
    " The gold iPhone 5S is more of an accessory and fashion statement than any other phone ".
    When I wrote this on my iPhone, it didn't post out the rest of my sentence on this forum, it must of been to long.

    In the fashion word no idea is original. This also applies in the technology world .I appreciate innovation even if it's minor. This is what I was trying to say. The design of a phone can bring the whole perception of a " phone" to another level. A lot of things can influence this such as the materials, button placing , colour and even subtly.

    I saw an interesting article on Fendi ( a fashion label) that got ahold of the gold iPhone 5S before anyone else did. They showcased a fashion show using the slow motion feature and video and used a model to advertise the design. From this , I got inspiration to write this post. Before I write my observations I use EVIDENCE...

    Evidence backs up my findings......
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 10-26-2013 at 07:31 AM.
  10. #10  
    iEd
    iEd is offline
    iEd's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    I know nothing about the today's fashion world. If among a certain segment of consumers the gold iPhone is looked as being a fashion statement that's cool and could be very true. It has a unique look that lends to the uniqueness of someone that's into fashion.

    It wasn't that long ago that a iPhone period was looked on as being a status symbol. The first iPhone wasn't subsidized and you had to plunk down $600 for a 8gig model so people looked at it as being whoa this guy has 600 to plunk down on a phone. Now that they are subsidized and everyone can get one that's no longer the case. Even if you buy one full retail who's going to know that you did unless you tell them.

    There are some folks that if you told them hey I paid $800 for the 64gig they would say WTF? Getting it out right or on contract is totally that persons prerogative.

    Having a Gold iPhone may represent to some people style and taste because it cost no more than a space grey and that's cool that's why they choose it. I chose Space Grey because it's more laid back looking than Gold or Silver to me.
    On the regular my fashion is t shirt and jeans. LOL.
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
  11. #11  

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sekelani Zwambila View Post
    I'm starting to understand why the gold 5S is in demand. We all know it's because of the colour and what is signifies. Gold is symbolic of loyalty, royalty and statue.
    A device with such values makes the whole experience of a phone phenomenal.
    I haven't seen any other phone in the market who has done this.
    The other day I decided to rock the phone without a case. I went to a fashion conference and noticed most of the designers all had the gold. I asked them why they choose to buy it. They all said " it defines your statue, and it has become a trend"
    So this whole experience of gold is to obey a trend?
    Just like the way clothing evolves and becomes trendy today.
    All of my fashion friends have iPhones and they all gold.
    I believe this is becoming a new chapter of what a phone is.
    It's sort of a revolution.......
    To others it may seem stupid.
    Once again apple has used this smart marketing strategy..
    i just like the colour because I've had the black and the white already
  12. #12  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,014 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,016 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sekelani Zwambila View Post
    ...blah blah blah...
    I'll try to answer your strangely formatted post as best I can...

    - I don't always ridicule and downgrade your posts...but I do consistently question your logic in many of them, because you seem to have this weird roller coaster style of content that you share with this forum. Many times you're very scatter brained when it comes to the information you post, so 90% of the time I'm just trying to simply figure out what it is you're portraying...in this case though, you were speaking very "matter of fact" like, and that is just absurd. Perhaps in your circles, the view of the gold iPhone is that of a fashion statement, but it's pretty obvious that a vast majority of gold iPhone owners are not in the fashion industry (myself included), so saying that it has become more of a "fashion statement" than anything else is gross generalization based on your circles. I have a lot of cops in my circles, your point would be like me asking them why they bought a gold iPhone and the reply being "Because it matches our badges..." and then coming back and saying "The Gold iPhone is for matching cop badges more than anything else...", it just makes no sense man.

    - You asked what i even "know about fashion". To be honest, nothing really at all. But what difference does it make? I was never attempting to tell you what your fashion buddies think of the iPhone. Frankly, I could care less what they think about it...or what they think the gold iPhone represents. My retort was in regard to your generalization that YOUR opinion (and your fashion friends) was some kind of matter of fact piece of 'evidence' (as you keep calling it), when in reality, it's just opinion, and on top of that, it's just the opinion of a small little group of people (in comparison with the amount of people who actually own a gold iPhone 5S). There are assumably MILLIONS of gold iPhone 5S's floating around the consumer base...arbitrarily stating that the iPhone has become any one particular thing is asinine, given the immense variety of users, and those users backgrounds.

    - You asked me to back up my thoughts with "evidence", and said that is what you have been doing...but what evidence do you have that says that is what the iPhone 5S has become more than anything else (as your title implies)? I gave you several scenarios that were far more generally acceptable (as they didn't really specify any one particular group of people)...the mockery of some of your comments was made simply to give you a better idea of how silly some of your "evidence" sounds. There's no evidence here man, it's opinion...there's nothing generally "factual" about opinions, therefore, there can be no evidence towards such because your opinion may not match anyone else's opinion on the planet.

    ...here's the deal bud. To be 100% honest, I find your posts pretty silly most of the time, and that's mainly because of your little 5S/Note 3 fiasco that occurred when you first joined the community. I get really hung up on your posts because when I read them, you seem to so freely throw around "matter of fact" points, without any regard to the idea that you might be the only person who thinks that way. This post is a perfect example, trying to explain that my gold iPhone 5S is more of a fashion statement than anything else, when I PURELY beg to differ, lol. That doesn't mean you're wrong for feeling that way about it, we all have opinions...but when you generically start labeling stuff as you see fit, and then you try to shove that opinion like a blanket over the spectrum of a device in the hands of MILLIONS of people...you're going to hear about it, lol. That's just the way it is.

    What difference does it make if I'm a fireman, chef, police officer, astronaut or freakin' Gianni Versace...an opinion is an opinion, no more valid than one another, because they stem from the creators ideas, thoughts and preferences. You telling me that my iPhone 5S is a fashion statement more than anything else is like me telling you that your iPhone 5S is a marijuana bong more than anything else...there's no "evidence" there, just opinion.

    You know how this entire debate would have been avoided? You know how 99% of the retorts would be avoided from me and others when it comes to your posts? When you figure out that adding "in my opinion" solves all woes. That's it. Such a simple concept. Instead of titling a thread with such an "end all be all" connotation, you express your ideas as opinions, and nothing more (because that is all they are). You'd fit in so well here if you'd just figure that out. Seriously.

    TL;DR - Quit trying to push your opinions as facts. My iPhone 5S isn't a fashion statement in any way, shape or form. Yours might be purely a fashion statement. Neither of us are showing "evidence", we're just expressing opinion.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    Highrisedrifter (10-25-2013)
  13. #13  
    Highrisedrifter's Avatar

    Posts
    1,087 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,242 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0.4

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Sean is 100% right on this, Sekelani. I don't have the gold iPhone 5S yet but for me it is definitely not a fashion statement, it is purely something different that I've not had before and happen to like a lot.

    I'm not in the fashion business either so I don't really give a toss what the people on that business think is fashionable and what isn't.

    I have an opinion on this. You have an opinion on this... But what separates me from you is that I realise that my opinion only really means Jack to me whereas you are trying to push your opinion as 'fact' on everyone else.

    Have an opinion, knock yourself out, good for you, etc. Push what is purely your opinion as fact though and see how quickly you get taken down.
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    Sekelani Zwambila's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,003 Posts

    Default The Gold iPhone 5S has become more of an accessory and fashion statement than...

    Quote Originally Posted by Highrisedrifter View Post
    Sean is 100% right on this, Sekelani. I don't have the gold iPhone 5S yet but for me it is definitely not a fashion statement, it is purely something different that I've not had before and happen to like a lot.

    I'm not in the fashion business either so I don't really give a toss what the people on that business think is fashionable and what isn't.

    I have an opinion on this. You have an opinion on this... But what separates me from you is that I realise that my opinion only really means Jack to me whereas you are trying to push your opinion as 'fact' on everyone else.

    Have an opinion, knock yourself out, good for you, etc. Push what is purely your opinion as fact though and see how quickly you get taken down.
    I based my opinion from observation. I was not trying to force my opinions on everybody or on fact!
    I saw something from designers that I thought could be a new trend and wanted to share it , period.
  15. #15  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,764 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,813 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I'm not surprised by your response...as you have ZERO argument. Thanks for playing.

    Thanks for the debate I enjoyed reading lol
    On a side note I wanted a gold at first but they didn't have any .. but it was not for the fact it would look great with my Gucci belt lol
    Mostly IMO people want the gold because it's diff than the normal black and white

    I wish apple bummed the price of the gold by say $150 then we could tell it these rich fashion people really want it. Lol
  16. #16  
    JOEY NEAT's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    My shield is also gold, lol. That's why the analogy came to me quickly, lol...I said badge for the sake of understanding (he is in fashion after all)...but yes, shield, and thank you for your service!



    You get around. I like that.
    I like to date?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
  17. #17  
    xlipstickandbruisesx's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Gold is a current fashion trend and it is why some people are buying the gold phone but just as many if not more people are buying it for other reasons (something different, exclusivity, they are a gold fan, they are trying to resell it for money, ect). Maybe this was your point all along and it just got taken out of context but I wouldn't know because every time you post I can't even make it through the 3rd sentence because you're rambling about everything and nothing all at once. I'm not trying to be mean but you remind me of people that talk just because they like hearing their own voice but never have anything interesting to say
    Last edited by xlipstickandbruisesx; 10-25-2013 at 10:52 PM.
    It's better to be pissed off than pissed on

    iPhone 5 32gb black/slate . iPad air 64 gb white/silver . iPad mini 16gb 4g black/slate . MacBook Pro 13" . ATV 3rd gen . iPod classic . iPod nano
    SeanHRCC likes this.
  18. #18  
    Reparkable's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    662 Global Posts

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    I don't think the gold is looked at as a fashion statement at all. It's only popular because of it's color and it's in short supply.

    Think of it this way, if a thief had to choose between stealing a white, black or gold iPhone (all things being equal), what do you think he's steal?

    Let's be honest, probably the gold. It has nothing to do with fashion, they're just high in demand right now. Pretty simple.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 iMore Forum App
    Not Quite Right likes this.
  19. #19  
    ls108's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.01

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    They all said " it defines your statue, and it has become a trend" ?!? Statue nor Status No its called instant gratification don't worry if you blink it will change in another 15 minutes. Tick Tock!
  20. #20  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    [WARN]Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If you are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.[/WARN]

    Thread cleaned. Everyone, lets get back on topic. Thank You.
    Last edited by Irish Rose; 10-26-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    RollTideFanGrl likes this.
  21. #21  
    Irish Rose's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    5,919 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reparkable View Post
    I don't think the gold is looked at as a fashion statement at all. It's only popular because of it's color and it's in short supply.

    Think of it this way, if a thief had to choose between stealing a white, black or gold iPhone (all things being equal), what do you think he's steal?

    Let's be honest, probably the gold. It has nothing to do with fashion, they're just high in demand right now. Pretty simple.
    Couldn't agree with you more here. Most people I know cover their iPhones up as I do with a case.... Hey! Maybe it's the case that people are using that's the real fashion statement, lol.
    taz323 and RollTideFanGrl like this.
  22. #22  
    Guacho's Avatar
    iMore Expert

    Posts
    888 Posts

    Default re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    it's a popular color, it's new...many people want the gold one so others can tell it's the new device ( silly but whatever.. )...
    Irish Rose likes this.
  23. #23  
    Not Quite Right's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    538 Posts
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts

    Default Re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    I work in the home improvement industry, everybody wants stainless steel appliances in their house, and Apple knows this thats why they make all their computers in brushed aluminum ... NO that makes no difference in why people buy Apple computers. It might not hurt, but it's not the main reason. For the record I always buy black because it's classic and goes with all my outfits. People are buying Gold iPhones because it's different and instantly identifies them to others as having the latest & greatest iPhone ... it's that simple.
    mzengr and iEd like this.
  24. #24  
    iEd
    iEd is offline
    iEd's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,745 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7

    Default Re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    If the aesthetic qualities of a gold iPhone make it popular that is a aspect of fashion. Aesthetics are a factor in fashion. You can have two products of the same form and based on color one may be more "Fashionable"

    Like Not Quite Right said. Macs are made to look good with the brushed aluminum. They look good sitting on your desk doing nothing that's a factor in home decor which is like fashion for the home. With the beige computer boxes of old fashion or design wasn't a consideration.
    Today all Apple products have similar design cues. Which can said to be fashionable.
    A traditional wrist watch which serves a very specific purpose of telling time. But style and fashion is a consideration in design of it as a accessory.
    A iPhone is serves a specific purpose for communication and entertainment but it has become a fashionable accessory for some that's why people want this color or that color.
    Some people not all.
    Jon Ive's job is to makes it look good and looking good is a aspect of fashion.


    #Naked Tuesday
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    Thanked by:
    Highrisedrifter (10-26-2013)
  25. #25  
    Oofa's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts

    Default Re: Has the Gold iPhone 5S become more of a fashion statement?

    Has the gold iPhone ever NOT been just a fashion statement. Anything that you buy as an accessory, which is why many people choose iPhones in the first place, is a fashion statement. I think we all know that iPhones are fashion statements to many people and especially those that are in the "fashion mindset" 24/7. The people that are constantly conscious of what they are wearing and if their shoe laces match their tie will always see their phones as some kind of crazy statement.
    Guacho likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to sell my wife's jailbroken iPhone 4 on iOS 6.1, is there a market for them?
    By Recipe7 in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-29-2013, 08:52 PM
  2. iphone 5
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 10:10 PM
  3. Apple iPhone 4 Battery Issue
    By MayaMartinez in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 08:05 PM
  4. iPhone 5s
    By maccmacc11 in forum iPhone 5s
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM

Posting Permissions