Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By SeanHRCC
  • 1 Post By JSHidaka
  • 1 Post By EmceeGeek
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level issues)!

Developers noticed the issue, and decided to try and get to the bottom of it...and as it turns out, it actually seems to be simply a problem with calibration, and not with the hardware itself! That is good news for the end user for a few reasons...it basically means that new calibration options can be added by Apple for people who are finding issues getting the "sweet spot" on their iPhone, AND there is no long term "problem" when it comes to gaming because developers were already aware of this and have been using a work around anyways when developing their games (or adjustment pre-existing games).

So basically...the problem comes from calibration, not an actual problem with the hardware. That should put some fears about an inferior accelerometer to rest. Here's a link to read about it.

"Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    Thanked by:
    Dog5000 (10-19-2013), itsmemuffins (10-20-2013), JOEY NEAT (10-20-2013), Karenkcoulter (10-19-2013), kch50428 (10-19-2013), nikkisharif (10-19-2013), TheRewardisCheese (10-19-2013)
    Fausty82, kch50428, M.Rizk and 1 others like this.
    iMore Pro

Default Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level iss...

I did here about a program third party developers have made. The issue is all third party developers would have to implement this in their apps. Also the reason why there is a sensorgate is because Apple wanted to save costs. They used cheaper internals as oppose to the iPhone 5.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Default Re: Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level iss...

Quote Originally Posted by SaberSerene View Post
    I did here about a program third party developers have made.

It doesn't look like the sensors were the problem though...it appears that the software that calibrates the sensors was not accounting for certain interferences and base numbers, so it was not accurate after calibrations were complete (in some cases). The sensors appear to be fine from what I've read.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

Global Posts
    6,630 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Default Re: Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level issues)!

Interesting Sean, thanks.

Default Re: Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level issues)!

Thanks for the update!!!
    iMore Pro

Default Re: Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level iss...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    It doesn't look like the sensors were the problem though...it appears that the software that calibrates the sensors was not accounting for certain interferences and base numbers, so it was not accurate after calibrations were complete (in some cases). The sensors appear to be fine from what I've read.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

That's fine, it does say there "may" be a problem...but as my initial post indicates, it may also be simply a software issue (as they have found a way to get the accelerometer to calibrate properly outside of using Apple's default method).
    iMore Pro

That's fine, it does say there "may" be a problem...but as my initial post indicates, it may also be simply a software issue (as they have found a way to get the accelerometer to calibrate properly outside of using Apple's default method).
    Well I hope it is software only. I love it how it's going to take a third party developer to fix the sensor issues and not Apple.
    iMore Newbie

I did here about a program third party developers have made. The issue is all third party developers would have to implement this in their apps. Also the reason why there is a sensorgate is because Apple wanted to save costs. They used cheaper internals as oppose to the iPhone 5.
    both sensor cost the same, there is another article that point that, I suppose they change it coz the old one couldnt give them the supply for the 5s/5c.

Both parts cost about $1 in quantity, so itís hard to believe Apple would make this design choice due to cost. Perhaps Apple chose the Bosch part based on power consumption in conjunction with background motion processing on the M7 coprocessor? Both parts consume 250μA in normal mode and offer low power modes that consume 10μA or less. The Bosch part takes a 1.8V supply versus the ST chipís 2.5V supply. Therefore, in normal mode the Bosch part uses 450μW and the ST part uses 625μW. Even if the accelerometer were fully powered up at all times, this 175μW difference would make less than a 0.1% difference in the iPhone 5S battery life (assuming the 5.92Wh battery normally lasts for 24 hours of mixed usage). If the ST accelerometer were the only part in the phone that required a 2.5V supply, then it might make sense. However, even this seems like poor justification for the inaccuracy that can clearly be seen in Appleís built-in compass/level app.
    ame
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,422 Global Posts

Great.
    "Balls!" said the Queen, "if I had them I'd be King!"
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Well I hope it is software only. I love it how it's going to take a third party developer to fix the sensor issues and not Apple.
    That is an assumption...Apple could already have a calibration adjustment on it's way.

Also, if developers have already been able to figure out a way around the current calibration issue to get the device calibrated correctly, it would seem almost obvious it is a software issue. Otherwise, how could they have made a solid work around?
    iMore Pro

That is an assumption...Apple could already have a calibration adjustment on it's way.

Also, if developers have already been able to figure out a way around the current calibration issue to get the device calibrated correctly, it would seem almost obvious it is a software issue. Otherwise, how could they have made a solid work around?
    Valid point made.
    iMore Newbie

IMO, since apple don't publish what are the components of the iPhone, so dev have to wait till release and someone to open it, "PROBABLY" apple apps are "Calibrated" for the new sensor (ya.. I dont think so either).

Dev were still working with the specs of the "old" sensor, now that they know what they have, they can easily find a workaround.
    evorc likes this.

Global Posts
    2,131 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks for the update. This should be a stickie.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    64GB iPhone 6 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    iEd likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    490 Global Posts

Yay! Won't have to swap the phone out sometime, then.
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,921 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Some of the internals were just smaller. Like the accelerometer. I believe the IPhone 5 used the Bosch BMA 180 and the 5s uses the BMA 220 which is smaller. I have no idea which is cheaper but if you are sticking another processor in the phone as the M7 along with the A7 they would need smaller sensor chips.
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    iEd
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,921 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Developers noticed the issue, and decided to try and get to the bottom of it...and as it turns out, it actually seems to be simply a problem with calibration, and not with the hardware itself! That is good news for the end user for a few reasons...it basically means that new calibration options can be added by Apple for people who are finding issues getting the "sweet spot" on their iPhone, AND there is no long term "problem" when it comes to gaming because developers were already aware of this and have been using a work around anyways when developing their games (or adjustment pre-existing games).

So basically...the problem comes from calibration, not an actual problem with the hardware. That should put some fears about an inferior accelerometer to rest. Here's a link to read about it.

Hallelujah!!!!!!! But I knew this a few weeks ago researching this matter in my own. How these chip have calibration tolerances.
    Stevie Jobs was the illest and-droid is played out like Arnold wondering "What you talking about Willis?"
    iMore Pro

Quote Originally Posted by iEd View Post
    Some of the internals were just smaller. Like the accelerometer. I believe the IPhone 5 used the Bosch BMA 180 and the 5s uses the BMA 220 which is smaller. I have no idea which is cheaper but if you are sticking another processor in the phone as the M7 along with the A7 they would need smaller sensor chips.
    Hm good point there