Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level issues)!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Developers noticed the issue, and decided to try and get to the bottom of it...and as it turns out, it actually seems to be simply a problem with calibration, and not with the hardware itself! That is good news for the end user for a few reasons...it basically means that new calibration options can be added by Apple for people who are finding issues getting the "sweet spot" on their iPhone, AND there is no long term "problem" when it comes to gaming because developers were already aware of this and have been using a work around anyways when developing their games (or adjustment pre-existing games).

So basically...the problem comes from calibration, not an actual problem with the hardware. That should put some fears about an inferior accelerometer to rest. Here's a link to read about it.

How to work around accelerometer bias on the iPhone 5S ? Mobile Spatial Sensing

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level iss...

I did here about a program third party developers have made. The issue is all third party developers would have to implement this in their apps. Also the reason why there is a sensorgate is because Apple wanted to save costs. They used cheaper internals as oppose to the iPhone 5.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level iss...

It doesn't look like the sensors were the problem though...it appears that the software that calibrates the sensors was not accounting for certain interferences and base numbers, so it was not accurate after calibrations were complete (in some cases). The sensors appear to be fine from what I've read.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Re: Good news for people having gyroscope calibration problems (Compass/Level iss...

It doesn't look like the sensors were the problem though...it appears that the software that calibrates the sensors was not accounting for certain interferences and base numbers, so it was not accurate after calibrations were complete (in some cases). The sensors appear to be fine from what I've read.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...s-may-be-linked-to-new-accelerometer-supplier

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site

That's fine, it does say there "may" be a problem...but as my initial post indicates, it may also be simply a software issue (as they have found a way to get the accelerometer to calibrate properly outside of using Apple's default method).

Well I hope it is software only. I love it how it's going to take a third party developer to fix the sensor issues and not Apple.

JSHidaka

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I did here about a program third party developers have made. The issue is all third party developers would have to implement this in their apps. Also the reason why there is a sensorgate is because Apple wanted to save costs. They used cheaper internals as oppose to the iPhone 5.

both sensor cost the same, there is another article that point that, I suppose they change it coz the old one couldnt give them the supply for the 5s/5c.

Both parts cost about $1 in quantity, so it?s hard to believe Apple would make this design choice due to cost. Perhaps Apple chose the Bosch part based on power consumption in conjunction with background motion processing on the M7 coprocessor? Both parts consume 250μA in normal mode and offer low power modes that consume 10μA or less. The Bosch part takes a 1.8V supply versus the ST chip?s 2.5V supply. Therefore, in normal mode the Bosch part uses 450μW and the ST part uses 625μW. Even if the accelerometer were fully powered up at all times, this 175μW difference would make less than a 0.1% difference in the iPhone 5S battery life (assuming the 5.92Wh battery normally lasts for 24 hours of mixed usage). If the ST accelerometer were the only part in the phone that required a 2.5V supply, then it might make sense. However, even this seems like poor justification for the inaccuracy that can clearly be seen in Apple?s built-in compass/level app.

Toward a solution for the iPhone 5S accelerometer problem ? Mobile Spatial Sensing

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Great.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Well I hope it is software only. I love it how it's going to take a third party developer to fix the sensor issues and not Apple.

That is an assumption...Apple could already have a calibration adjustment on it's way.

Also, if developers have already been able to figure out a way around the current calibration issue to get the device calibrated correctly, it would seem almost obvious it is a software issue. Otherwise, how could they have made a solid work around?

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site

That is an assumption...Apple could already have a calibration adjustment on it's way.

Also, if developers have already been able to figure out a way around the current calibration issue to get the device calibrated correctly, it would seem almost obvious it is a software issue. Otherwise, how could they have made a solid work around?

Valid point made.

JSHidaka

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

IMO, since apple don't publish what are the components of the iPhone, so dev have to wait till release and someone to open it, "PROBABLY" apple apps are "Calibrated" for the new sensor (ya.. I dont think so either).

Dev were still working with the specs of the "old" sensor, now that they know what they have, they can easily find a workaround.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Some of the internals were just smaller. Like the accelerometer. I believe the IPhone 5 used the Bosch BMA 180 and the 5s uses the BMA 220 which is smaller. I have no idea which is cheaper but if you are sticking another processor in the phone as the M7 along with the A7 they would need smaller sensor chips.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Developers noticed the issue, and decided to try and get to the bottom of it...and as it turns out, it actually seems to be simply a problem with calibration, and not with the hardware itself! That is good news for the end user for a few reasons...it basically means that new calibration options can be added by Apple for people who are finding issues getting the "sweet spot" on their iPhone, AND there is no long term "problem" when it comes to gaming because developers were already aware of this and have been using a work around anyways when developing their games (or adjustment pre-existing games).

So basically...the problem comes from calibration, not an actual problem with the hardware. That should put some fears about an inferior accelerometer to rest. Here's a link to read about it.

How to work around accelerometer bias on the iPhone 5S ? Mobile Spatial Sensing

Hallelujah!!!!!!! But I knew this a few weeks ago researching this matter in my own. How these chip have calibration tolerances.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site

Some of the internals were just smaller. Like the accelerometer. I believe the IPhone 5 used the Bosch BMA 180 and the 5s uses the BMA 220 which is smaller. I have no idea which is cheaper but if you are sticking another processor in the phone as the M7 along with the A7 they would need smaller sensor chips.

Hm good point there

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner