Diagnostics & Usage

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I know that many blogs and people have pushed for most users to turn the Diagnostics & Usage setting to "Don't send" but, I would suggest that you enable it to "Automatically Send"

The 5S is brand new hardware... running brand new software. There are wide spread reports of bugs and crashes. From the inaccurate accelerometers to the Blue Screen of Death, to Apple Logo springboard crashes... and even little issues like iMessage, Home screen jitteriness/stutters, and Notification Center glitches... Apple can fix any of these that are purely software related, but they need the diagnostics reports to know what the problems are, and what could be causing them. The more of these reports they get, the more avenues of attack they can track down for each bug.

ninjamattic

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I know that many blogs and people have pushed for most users to turn the Diagnostics & Usage setting to "Don't send" but, I would suggest that you enable it to "Automatically Send"

The 5S is brand new hardware... running brand new software. There are wide spread reports of bugs and crashes. From the inaccurate accelerometers to the Blue Screen of Death, to Apple Logo springboard crashes... and even little issues like iMessage, Home screen jitteriness/stutters, and Notification Center glitches... Apple can fix any of these that are purely software related, but they need the diagnostics reports to know what the problems are, and what could be causing them. The more of these reports they get, the more avenues of attack they can track down for each bug.

I don't speak for everyone, but I myself prefer not to have my usage statistics sent out automatically to anyone at any time. I agree that Apple needs to know about these things, however, they don't need automatically gathered diagnostic data to do it. Diagnostics can be made at the Genius Bar, or bug reports can be filed by developers. There are a number of other avenues they could get that information without automated transmission. To each their own though :).

antiprotest

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I support the OP's advice -- for everyone else -- because if more people do it I can leave mine disabled and still reap the benefit. :p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People always want to make the "privacy" argument when it comes to this specific function...not understanding that this service is truly made to help streamline the functionality of the device further and further. When you have the immense amount of people who buy iPhone's constantly sending these reports to Apple without even having to put any effort into it themselves, you end up with the top rated operating system on the market because Apple is able to further polish it minute by minute based on the overwhelming amount of data they are getting through this function.

People are alway worried about privacy...the NSA, companies selling their information for profit, etc etc etc...come on folks, the government has much easier ways to get your information in pretty much any format they want, and your information is already being sold without an on/off button just by browsing the web or using Facebook or uploading a picture to Instagram...at least THIS function actually has a benefit to the consumer, by helping square away issues that would normally be so isolated Apple might not ever see a real need to investigate them.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Sean's post above. It makes a lot of sense and in the end the consumers do benefit from the reports that are sent.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I plan to jailbreak so for sure I will not be sending any data to Apple. For now, it would not matter.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I plan to jailbreak so for sure I will not be sending any data to Apple. For now, it would not matter.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

It doesn't make a difference whether you're jailbroken or not...if you went in for service on your iPhone, you would be treated no differently than a person who had never jailbroken their phone (in regard to diagnostic submissions, etc). Can Apple deny warranty service on a jailbroken phone? Yup. Thankfully, you can restore an iPhone to an un-jailbroken state for warranty repairs, and Apple won't know the difference.

Jailbreaking your phone is not relevant to this discussion.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
OP that really is a good idea; because there are a lot of things that need to be worked out but it's not just with the 5S, iOS 7 needs help. 😁

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the premise and practicality per OP, Sean, Emcee.

When I see app and iOS exceptions, low memory, and related crashes in the Diagnostics logs; I want Apple to be aware, analyze, and fix it.