Touch ID not recognizing finger

desse3

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had trouble with the scanner accepting your finger? It seems that whenever my hands are a little dirty or sweaty, the scanner doesnt accept the scan. Anyone else noticed this? It happens to me quite a bit.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
That could certainly happen. Have you tried wiping off or cleaning your finger(s) you use to see if it helps or maybe try and reset and register your finger or thumb over again or like may do, register the finger or thumb at 2 different angles so you actually will have 2 fingers or thumbs but at 2 different angles for a total of 4. Make a big recognition difference.

desse3

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
That could certainly happen. Have you tried wiping off or cleaning your finger(s) you use to see if it helps or maybe try and reset and register your finger or thumb over again or like may do, register the finger or thumb at 2 different angles so you actually will have 2 fingers or thumbs but at 2 different angles for a total of 4. Make a big recognition difference.

I normally have to wipe my finger and the home button for it to start working consistently again. I am just curious if anyone else has the same issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't find myself having sweaty thumbs often, but when they are wet at all (IE: rain shower the other day and trying to unlock phone after getting wet), it would have an issue unlocking...understandably as well, if there's water on your print, it's not the same print.

Not sure how dirty my thumb would have to be in order to get a similar failure, but I tend to refrain from touching my iPhone when my hands are dirty enough for me to figure they need wiping off.

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I have had this issue. When I posted my comments the other day, I was surrounded by posters claiming that it had to be user error. Careful what you post. I can bet that many will assume it is your fault that the technology is not working.

I have had mine for 3 weeks. Everything worked great for the first two weeks. I had 4 fingers programmed. Slowly, they stopped working. I had to delete all scans, and re-scan all 4 last weekend. As of today, only the thumbs are still working, both index fingers will are not recognized anymore. I will have to re scan again.. They take about 3-4 seconds to recognize my print.

Yes, I wipe my fingers before use. I also wipe my front screen and home button a few times a day (I dont like smudges on the screen).

The scanner will not recognize a wet or moist finger. Sweat, holding a cold drink, after washing hands and drying with air drier. None of these are a big deal

Bottom line, When it was first announced, I looked at the finger print scanner as a convince. Thinking it would be more accurate and convenient. I do not think that was the intent. I think it is only there for added security, not for convenience and not meant to be faster than entering 4 digits.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I have had this issue. When I posted my comments the other day, I was surrounded by posters claiming that it had to be user error. Careful what you post. I can bet that many will assume it is your fault that the technology is not working.

I have had mine for 3 weeks. Everything worked great for the first two weeks. I had 4 fingers programmed. Slowly, they stopped working. I had to delete all scans, and re-scan all 4 last weekend. As of today, only the thumbs are still working, both index fingers will are not recognized anymore. I will have to re scan again.. They take about 3-4 seconds to recognize my print.

Yes, I wipe my fingers before use. I also wipe my front screen and home button a few times a day (I dont like smudges on the screen).

The scanner will not recognize a wet or moist finger. Sweat, holding a cold drink, after washing hands and drying with air drier. None of these are a big deal

Bottom line, When it was first announced, I looked at the finger print scanner as a convince. Thinking it would be more accurate and convenient. I do not think that was the intent. I think it is only there for added security, not for convenience and not meant to be faster than entering 4 digits.

It was certainly meant to be faster than entering a code...when it's working. Maybe my experience isn't a welcome thing to hear for you because you're experiencing such a failure of the tech, but so far, mine has been flawless...it recognizes it on the first try 95% of the time, and the other times it's usually the way I grabbed the phone or, like you said, moisture on my fingers for whatever reason (though holding a drink, for me anyways, has not interfered with the functionality). It is so much more convenient than a passcode entry, and I guess I kind of feel lucky that mine has been such a positive experience.

That said, I posted this in another thread, and this is a "how to" when it comes to scanning setups. Assistance online is finding that many people who are having major issues with their scanner ARE in fact setting it up improperly, or better put, very streamlined (when it comes to angles of the finger print)...this link helped quite a few...

How to Set Up Touch ID and Use Touch ID on the iPhone 5s [Video]

...will it fix your issue? Who knows. "Hopefully" I guess is the best one could add. A big problem with creating something that combines technology with the uniqueness ingrained in all of us is that you will, eventually, find people who do not mesh well with the tech for one reason or another. Not to make an excuse for Apple, if there is truly a problem, they definitely should fix it...but so far, I can only go on the experience me, my wife and people close to me have seen...and amongst ALL of us, even the ones that don't use the feature (like my wife), none of us have had anything but good success with the functionality and accuracy of the scanner.

desse3

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
It was certainly meant to be faster than entering a code...when it's working. Maybe my experience isn't a welcome thing to hear for you because you're experiencing such a failure of the tech, but so far, mine has been flawless...it recognizes it on the first try 95% of the time, and the other times it's usually the way I grabbed the phone or, like you said, moisture on my fingers for whatever reason (though holding a drink, for me anyways, has not interfered with the functionality). It is so much more convenient than a passcode entry, and I guess I kind of feel lucky that mine has been such a positive experience.

That said, I posted this in another thread, and this is a "how to" when it comes to scanning setups. Assistance online is finding that many people who are having major issues with their scanner ARE in fact setting it up improperly, or better put, very streamlined (when it comes to angles of the finger print)...this link helped quite a few...

How to Set Up Touch ID and Use Touch ID on the iPhone 5s [Video]

...will it fix your issue? Who knows. "Hopefully" I guess is the best one could add. A big problem with creating something that combines technology with the uniqueness ingrained in all of us is that you will, eventually, find people who do not mesh well with the tech for one reason or another. Not to make an excuse for Apple, if there is truly a problem, they definitely should fix it...but so far, I can only go on the experience me, my wife and people close to me have seen...and amongst ALL of us, even the ones that don't use the feature (like my wife), none of us have had anything but good success with the functionality and accuracy of the scanner.

Any chance of a faulty phone then? I'm not one to bash new technology, but it is in fact new technology. Any chance of a crappy build?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Any chance of a faulty phone then? I'm not one to bash new technology, but it is in fact new technology. Any chance of a crappy build?

Could be a crappy build...faulty hardware...or just a feature that doesn't play well with all people. If there was a clear answer out there, I think we'd have a solid fix already...unfortunately, as it seems, there are so many people using it without issue that finding the "problem" is more scatter shot than anything, and that presents a significant speed bump when trying to "fix" an issue.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
No issues here. The few times that i got try again, it was because i tried to scan in with the wrong part of my thumb. Chances are you are doing the same if your finger are clean and dry.

It's key when you are setting up your touch Id that you scan the part of your finger you would most likely touch it with. I did it while scanning and holding the phone with one hand.

Sent from my GOLD 5s using Tapatalk HD

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I posted here a few days after I got my 5s that when I used a generic charger and a legit lighting cable. Touch ID was screwed up took 4 or 5 attempts to work. Once off the charger or using a legit Apple charger or a legit 3rd party charger(ifrogz) touch ID was fine.

I also had to rescan my prints a few times in the beginning. Another member here suggested doing severs profiles of one finger.

I think I might have issues with other fingers because my finger tips are very calloused from play Bass Guitar since I was 13 years old. I have problems with regular screen touch because this.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It's you finger maybe you can just get a new one ? Haha jk ..
I have had mine since launch setup my prints and haven't had a issue .. Lucky me I guess

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I have had mine for 3 weeks. Everything worked great for the first two weeks. I had 4 fingers programmed. Slowly, they stopped working. I had to delete all scans, and re-scan all 4 last weekend. As of today, only the thumbs are still working, both index fingers will are not recognized anymore. I will have to re scan again..
Several of my friends have the iPhone 5s.

Those of them who don't protect their 5s with a case complain more often about having to rescan their prints than the other ones.

Now they wonder whether maybe fine scratches on the home button could stop the sensor from recognizing the previous scans.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Several of my friends have the iPhone 5s.

Those of them who don't protect their 5s with a case complain more often about having to rescan their prints than the other ones.

Now they wonder whether maybe fine scratches on the home button could stop the sensor from recognizing the previous scans.

Do there cases cover the home button? Your friends that use cases.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Do there cases cover the home button? Your friends that use cases.
I don't know the details. We live in different countries. I'll have to ask them.

But the consideration with regard to possibly scratches on the home button has been theirs (which protect their device).

sanibel

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issues... I opted to quit using the fingerprint ID.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was having an issue where the TouchID would read the fingerprint on my right thumb, but repeatedly failed to read the print on my left thumb. Then I remembered that while gardening, I pricked my thumb with a thorn from a bush I was trimming... I actually consider that a security win... even the slightest variation in my registered thumb print fails to open the phone...

The prick was so small that I don?t even notice or feel it, but when I examine my thumb, it?s clearly visible... and the TouchID system in my iPhone caught it...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This might be a little over the top. But maybe folks need to develop a technique for consistent success with touch ID. It's possible some may have to touch a little more firmly than others. Just based on the individuals skin type. Don't we shed layers of skin constantly? Does this affect the success rate of touch ID? It could.

I use my thumb and I try to be aware of how I touch it and what gives me the most success of unlocking the phone.

I'm not saying that there could be some hardware issue with some phones. The potential for hardware failure is real.

Not matter how much Apple tested the touch ID technology nothing compares to real world testing and when you early adopt any new technology you are a beta tester. That's one reason I go for S model iPhones. But the 5s is a update of the 5 and also a totally brand new phone phone with 64 bit,new OS and Touch ID.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had trouble with the scanner accepting your finger? It seems that whenever my hands are a little dirty or sweaty, the scanner doesnt accept the scan. Anyone else noticed this? It happens to me quite a bit.

I haven't had any issues but this is going to be the case with any type of biometrics. The scanner at the hospital I use to work at was the same way. Just wipe your hands off and it should work fine.